When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

new Datejust project

robzig

Hi All,

I'm new to the RWG forums but wanted to let everyone know I have a new Datejust project underway. Parts as follows.

- Gen 16233 case ss

- Gen Jubilee bracelet ss

- Gen 6mm crown

- Gen fluted WG bezel

- Gen dial

- ETA 2824-2 movement (such a let down I know but a 3135 is just out of the question right now)

I will be starting the project later this week. Going to laser cut a spacer for the movement to fit etc and will post pics asap. :D

Guest watchbuff

Jules Borel has spacer rings that will fit that need some trimming to get the case back closed.

It's just a matter of assembly and rember:

Planning

-Patience

-Cleanliness

-Steady hands

Have all the correct fitting parts out there ready to be installed or else you are doomed to wait for the mailman to send "what you never planned for"

Envision the finished product, be prepared to make changes along the way, and research forums like these.

I have a 16200 that I am quite proud of all gen except for the ETA 2824-2 movement which has been flawless :lol:

:

If I were this guy I would just hold out for some Gen movement...I mean...everything else on the watch is gen...there is 3135 movement on ebay right now for less then $900....then he would have the real deal....a shame to pop an ETA into all that...

I would love to build a franken with a gen movement myself, but I have yet to see one end for less than $1500. Add in the cost of the parts and you might as well just buy a used watch. Those movements are not a bargain, and who knows how much you are going to spend on an overhaul and replacement parts. There is a reason they are for sale.

And yes alt.watch, I've looked into having some spacers made, a one off will cost me between $150 - $200, and after that, it is just the cost of the machining at $75/hour. He figures it will take about 20 minutes per spacer depending how I want it finished, etc, He said he could finish them anyway I want, in brass, nickel, stainless, copper, pearlage finish, etc, and custom engraving. They will be very nice, but not cheap. I've thought about getting them made for 2824-2, but it is cheaper to just buy the enlargment rings for a 2834-2 from julesborel. They are only $12. He is away until the first week of November. He wants me to send him the case, dial, and movement so he can make them exact. Here is the problem I face. He is a master watchmaker, and also an authorized Rolex service agent. Once he figures out what I am up to, I am pretty positive he will scold me and turn me away. I'm thinking I may just send the midcase minus crystal and bezel, a Mark II dial, and the movement, and maybe a unbranded crown and see if he says anything. I'm almost thinking of buffing out the case marking between the lugs, but I'm still sure he will know the case as soon as he sees it. Oh well, it may not happen especially since no one has expressed any interest if I do get some made.

Guest watchbuff

Dont fret, you can do this if you source the right parts. Forget a cutom spacer ring, all the parts you need are already made. I tossed around the idea of getting a gen movement but the $ would put me right up therte with one I could have just bought second hand from a dealer, without all the nonsense of sourcing parts and all that.

I like Rolex,just for the mere status symbol they are, they are not the "best" movements in my opinion. The datejust models are as plain as they come, for an $80 movement like a 2824-2 that will run as good if not better than a 3135, it was a no brainer. I have a few gens, I could not justify the cost of a watch with as little frills as a DJ has.

I can send you pics if yo like, I can show you my first Franken with all gen parts for the total cost of $400.00 for a case, crystal, crown, jubilee band, and datewheel. Your best bet is to find a Ranken builder here, like myself or another member who is familiar with DJ assembliy and have them do it for you and there is no shame in that if you really feel you cannot accomplish it yourself.

Well I'm yet to start assembly on the DJ, just waiting for the date wheel and new sapphire crystal. The postman likes to take his time when you want something in a hurry.

I have laser cut the spacer however and it fits perfect. Cut it from 3mm acrylic for the first one which is a great material but may change to something more dense for weight.

Keep you posted

Guest watchbuff

I use lead for the weight and the spacer, I weigh all the pieces togetrher and add the lead needed to make it correct. Then I shape the lead into a spacer. Let's see the finished product when you are done. I am working on another for someone now. I'm sure he will post pics as I update him.

Ciao

eeeerrrrrr....still waiting for the mail man to deliver my crystal etc. This waiting around so much fun ha ha ha

Just had a look through my parts and have enough for to datejust. Going to make one with the jubilee bracelet and one with a croc strap. That is IF my new crystal and seals ever arrive :huh:

Awesome man, cant wait to see the final product, definitly post some pictures - Watchbuff just finished mine heres what it looks like, i will post some better pics when I get it back later this week but if your doin it with a jubilee heres what it will resemble, mine also has a 2824-2

11-2_002-1.jpg

Heres a link to the topic and watchbuff did a great job posting the assembly process check it out~

Edited by UB7