When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Straps

Victoria

Well, guys. I think I've near about conquered my Strapitis. ^_^

Yesterday, I pulled the Trigger on my last "desire" (a KWong strap).

When I went to look at my collection, which are all in breathable pouches and yellow envelopes, the better to ward off mould or possible water staining, I realised that since I started my Strap obsession this past July, I had bought just about every strap I had my heart set on possessing.

Name it, I got it.

Sometimes, SEVERAL times over.

OEMs? Check. PAV 91? Check. Metta Catherina? Check. Greg Stevens? Check. Dirk? Check. Strapmasters? Check.

Ferretti, Hirsch, HKTAN, Camille Fournet, Manifatture Firenze, Simona, Delaurian, Don, Bob, Sirtoli, ABP, Banda, Europelli, Germano, Wojtecki, StrapCulture, StrapWorks, StrapCode/Taikonaut, StrapZone, Micah, Zeugma, Walter, Jswing, Riva, Rios, Pawmarker, CharlyJakob, IW Suisse, cheapos from Panatime, and The Watch Prince (the strapmaker not the collector), and of course, Mario Paci up the wazoo, as well as Giovanni e Figlio and ALL the Toscana.

Needless-to-say, I also have straps from our own in-house strapmakers, including V (my first custom-made Greek hide Panerai strap!!), Tootall, Savage, FxrAndy. I intend on getting a Frogman soon. I possibly will get a VDBroucke or an Adeeos/Kevin, but since vintage ammo is not my thing, and look masculine on me, it's hard to justify the expense.

Of the brands mentioned in the official Risti Strap site, I am only missing "Atelier Jean Rousseau". Since they duplicate OEMs in special orders, I thought it was redundant, and never got anything from them.

hxxp://www.paneristi.com/straps/index.html (change xx to tt)

So this is my question to you:

What strapmaker for Panerai am I missing?

I know I'm missing one from Gabomagic, which thanks to Vlydog, I got a heads up on, a while ago. EDIT 16 Dec 2007: As featured in the SOTWW, I do now have a Gabo Johnnie Walker strap.

I am missing Dino Zei, and a Xa-Mas, though V told me long ago that the GeF La Spezia is made of the same hide.

I am missing an Enzo, but I emailed him without reply.

When searching for more straps to buy, I came across this wonderful forum checklist:

hxxp://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46676 (again, change xx to tt)

Never got anything from Acetimer in California, Adam-Co in Tel-Aviv, or from Jetan. I got my Dirks from BigB on Risti, so I think that counts.

Other than that, done.

Check this out:

strapswoj1by2.jpg

L to R: Camille Fournet Beavertail, Simona Bordeau, Strapmasters Cognac, Delaurian Devil Red, Dirk NOS Tan.

strapswoj2xg8.jpg

L to R: Manifatture Firenze Hammered Brown, Greg Stevens Crazy Horse w/ Antique Stitching, PAV 91

On the PAM 113, of course the strap I showed in today's Wristcheck, the GeF La Spezia in Cognac.

Let me hear your thoughts, or if you have any questions, call this a mini-Strap Caper and ask away. I love Straps, and hope to refine my tastes, not just visually, but in knowing how they are made, one day.

And no, I won't make my own. I like my manicures too much. :)

Hello Victoria,

Back in May I purchased a strap on Paneristi from a young chap named Kyle Welch. (went by the name of HC straps). Kyle was recently married and also just graduated from university so he has been busy with other pursuits. The boy can build a strap. Mine is called "buffalo brown."

This is his contact information: welch.kyle@gmail.com

Be well. Vlydog

Hello Victoria,

Back in May I purchased a strap on Paneristi from a young chap named Kyle Welch. (went by the name of HC straps). Kyle was recently married and also just graduated from university so he has been busy with other pursuits. The boy can build a strap. Mine is called "buffalo brown."

KEWL!! This is precisely what I was searching for. The relatively unknown, just starting out kind of guys.

Not only are they cheaper (and I'm the Queen of the Cheapies...got two Europelli of my 5 for about U$30 each!), but often they have interesting hides, and certainly give one the most bang for buck.

Tootall and Savage are exceptional in that regard, if you're looking for straps tailored JUST for you, at comparatively decent prices.

Thanks, Vlydog! Hope you enjoyed the shout-out. I never forget a kindness. (I hope). :)

Hey vic you have an awesome strap collection!!

Thanks, UB7!

BTW, my collection is not anything compared to V or Rolli. No clue what Sssurfer has, but I suspect he likes his actual watches more than straps.

These gentlemen, however, are the true Paneristi here. I'm merely starting out and as DBR says, like to shop. :p

Would you willing to sell that beautiful Strapmasters Cognac?

Not on your Nellie! ;)

Seriously, not selling a darn thing in these forums. Just posted a WTB elsewhere, so if you have another Woj Case, a Micah Pale Rider, or a Don English Bridle (tan), any size, PM.

Otherwise, tough noogies. ;)

EDIT: Check it here. Believe this was the one.

http://www.strapmastersusa.com/Merchant2/m...Product_Count=5

Must be on sale, since mine was about $40-50 higher, IIRC.

Wait until Christmas for the Strapmasters, I've been told. Loads of sale then...

Vic,

Nice breakdown of your strap obsession. I've owned my share of straps too. Probably 50 of various makes and models. I've narrowed down my collection considerably. I find that I wear different straps for different activities. I'll never wear a velcro strap on a Panerai! I found that I didn't need (or want) five different shades of tan :D

I guess right now I'm pleased to have a great quality black Horween cordovan, a Woj Tan with white stitch, an Augergine Bob Gator, a SS bracelet, a rubber on deploy, and my favorite special strap, a white and black non-polished ray for my 44mm (only 24/24 for me) and a Don Hammer, rubber, and Europelli Bomber for my 47mm. A nice black 26/26 and a nice light tan 26/26 would round out my collection perfectly. Gone are all the others. Fancy makers don't really do much for me. Paying $200 for a leather strap is ridiculous (Kaktus). I'm probably one of the few that dislike Greg straps.

My top three strap makers that balance quality with $$ are Don's Historic line, Wojtecki, and Bob's Vertigo Line.

My top three overall are Mario Paci, Strapmaster, Don's Historic.

Love this combo

Stingray is custom made by an unknown maker. 6mm thick at the lugs. 4mm thick at the tip. Super soft. Cool pearl pattern. Lots of compliments on this one.

Not the best picture, but you get the idea.

Stingray008sm.jpg

Is this all you can show us here? ;)

Just kidding, these straps look awesome!! Care to show us more or your strap collection? You're defintely running up for the "Ms Strap Tanfoglio" title :)

Well, as I've said a couple of times, Scoobs, WITH REGRET, that time I posted the Strapitis thread it brought me a lot of comments about my personal situation, social background, parental stuff...that wasn't cool. That thread became about me and my life, rather than my straps.

Click on it, as I hyperlinked to it above, and you will see...

So unfortunately, I will not repeat that "collection shot".

Instead, I promise to always vary my Wrist-Checks with new straps, which in fact forces me to wear some which normally I don't (I have a Historic Mustard Strapmasters which cost a fortune...and I never wear it, sigh).

That way you can see what I say is the truth. Not that you were implying this, of course! Just sayin'. :)

And you're damn right I want to be Mrs. Tanfo. My God, match made in heaven! His watchwinder or mine?

vic...you strap collection is awesome...i am speachless....since I've read in one of your posts that you have something like 130+straps...wow!!!

estaban...that stingray strap is just wonderful...one of the most beautiful I have ever seen...it would be nice to know who made it...I'd kill for it...I can already see it on my 111...

Vic,

Nice breakdown of your strap obsession.

Thanks, too, Estaban! :)

I've owned my share of straps too. Probably 50 of various makes and models. I've narrowed down my collection considerably. I find that I wear different straps for different activities. I'll never wear a velcro strap on a Panerai! I found that I didn't need (or want) five different shades of tan :D

See, I love tans and reds. Dislike blacks, and dark browns. Not a fan of the sharkies, but love many exotic hides. Want a chicken one day.

As per Lanikai, demurred when I saw an Elephant for sale by Simona. Won't court the bad kharma. Would also never wear a Dolphin, for the same reason. Irrational, but there we are.

I guess right now I'm pleased to have a great quality black Horween cordovan, a Woj Tan with white stitch, an Augergine Bob Gator, a SS bracelet, a rubber on deploy, and my favorite special strap, a white and black non-polished ray for my 44mm (only 24/24 for me)

The Aubergine Bob Gator sounds fun! Will check that out. I need more Woj's, too.

and a Don Hammer, rubber, and Europelli Bomber for my 47mm. A nice black 26/26 and a nice light tan 26/26 would round out my collection perfectly. Gone are all the others. Fancy makers don't really do much for me. Paying $200 for a leather strap is ridiculous (Kaktus). I'm probably one of the few that dislike Greg straps.

I KNEW I FORGOT ONE!

Kaktus. Don't got, don't want.

Greg...well, I'm afraid I used to agree with you. But man, are his Crazy Horse wonderful. I have 3, plus about 3 other varieties, and they are all fantastic, and importantly for us, age very well.

My top three strap makers that balance quality with $$ are Don's Historic line, Wojtecki, and Bob's Vertigo Line.

Good choices!

Mine, given your criteria, excepting TT/Savage:

Toscana, GeF, Manifatture Firenze

My top three overall are Mario Paci, Strapmaster, Don's Historic.

Mine:

Mario Paci, Wojtecki, Zeugma

Overrated, with a million regrets:

Europelli Cordovan, Europelli Baseball, Kaktus, some Don's...(he's so nice too)

And I think EVERY Panerista should own at least one Dirk in their lifetime, even if they cost a lot.

Love this combo

Stingray is custom made by an unknown maker. 6mm thick at the lugs. 4mm thick at the tip. Super soft. Cool pearl pattern. Lots of compliments on this one.

Not the best picture, but you get the idea.

Stingray008sm.jpg

Love it, love it. Am trying to get a Stingray from that company Doc-Bearcat, and TWP once posted about. They sell straps for uncommonly cheap prices.

Will compare my shot to yours, when I do! :)

Well, as I've said a couple of times, Scoobs, WITH REGRET, that time I posted the Strapitis thread it brought me a lot of comments about my personal situation, social background, parental stuff...that wasn't cool. That thread became about me and my life, rather than my straps.

Hmmm, completely missed that one I guess..... But who are people to judge you? Anyway, I really loved that pic :wub:

And you and Tanfoglio would be a match made in PAM-heaven, ;) .

God, I'm good.

:rolleyes:

:lol:

BTW, I checked and yes, I have a Kaktus. Eh. Not worth the money, IMO.

(And yes, I have already bought one strap I already have because I have so many, can't keep up anymore. I should maybe catalogue, even if I don't post them here...)

What strapmaker for Panerai am I missing?

I know I'm missing one from Gabomagic, which thanks to Vlydog, I got a heads up on, a while ago.

I am missing Dino Zei, and a Xa-Mas, though V told me long ago that the GeF La Spezia is made of the same hide.

Yes the 'LaSpezia' is basically the same strap as the Strapmasters XaMas, so no need to get it.

DinoZei is also a branding of Strapmasters before getting that name so again there is nothing here as well. :)

Hi Victoria,

I know this might be regarded as 'swearing in church' by posting I'm really happy with my cheap-ass 20USD Black BOB Sportivo on the 111H I got second-hand from Dutchy. It's a simple but thick leather strap which has been made water-resistant. At first it felt a bit like rubber when mounting straight out of the rubber envelope, but after spending a couple of nights on the spinning-bike at the gym, it got better and better. Now it has the nice leather structure, but not to disstressed. If anybody is still considering to buy a black leather for the 111H, stop searching and give BOB a PM...!

Enjoy the pic's!

PAM111H_BOBS_NERO_001.jpg

PAM111H_BOBS_NERO_004.jpg

PAM111H_BOBS_NERO_003.jpg

PAM111H_BOBS_NERO_009.jpg

PAM111H_BOBS_NERO_008.jpg

PAM111H_BOBS_NERO_006.jpg

You are not alone... I don't like Gregs straps either.. :)

Please, someone keep repeating this every time I look at the Risti Accessories Corner.

Since Greg is no longer going to make my favourite strap, the Crazy Horse, having run out of hide, they are now commanding OUTRAGEOUS prices.

I almost bid on two last night...and I already have 3...help...

At first it felt a bit like rubber when mounting straight out of the rubber envelope, but after spending a couple of nights on the spinning-bike at the gym, it got better and better. Now it has the nice leather structure, but not to disstressed. If anybody is still considering to buy a black leather for the 111H, stop searching and give BOB a PM...!

Heh. I loved your "swearin in church" analogy. ;)

I am not fond of Bob straps, it's true. I bought a Bob chocolate for only USD20 after hearing rave reviews on RWG. I took it out and exactly like you, found it cheap and stiff compared to e.g. the Fiero.

BUT I will take your advice! Good stuff about the gyro bike. We got one at our gym downstairs, so I'll give it a go. :)

PAM111H_BOBS_NERO_004.jpg

:tu:

Heh. I loved your "swearin in church" analogy. ;)

I am not fond of Bob straps, it's true. I bought a Bob chocolate for only USD20 after hearing rave reviews on RWG. I took it out and exactly like you, found it cheap and stiff compared to e.g. the Fiero.

BUT I will take your advice! Good stuff about the gyro bike. We got one at our gym downstairs, so I'll give it a go. :)

:tu:

You're right, avoid BOB Sportivo line if you can't digest their stiffnes, that said, they're nothing worse than Toscana (both waterproof) but for half the price (negotiated with Mac, of course).

Some fine examples from Vertigo and Marino lines are hard to beat for the money, though. ^_^

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola