When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Somebody stop me before I buy again!

Nanuq

There are a couple on the Bay that are darn pricey. :o I had no idea but in vintage land, nothing should be too surprising.

I'm glad I picked up my old auto Heuer which is similar. These old divers seem to be all escalating in value.

I'd say go for it you spotted a nice deal. :D They seem to be a collectors' piece plus it's a darn nice looking vintage diver.

.................and once you've bought the new beauty, of course your current orange IDF will be utterly useless to you........

:whistling:

It's not even an IDF, it's a civilian issue (no markings on the caseback), and I'd call the dial more "damaged" than "patina'd" :(. I still love it, in fact, I'm wearing it right now, but it looks like it probably had water damage at some point in its life. There is a potential donor on the bay right now. And yes, if I got that IDF, I'd have the WR checked/fixed (gotta preserve the dial+innards!), then I would wear it shamelessly, and my current Super Kontiki would sit on the winder. I really should try my hardest to get that IDF, it's the Kontiki I always wanted...

Moral of the story: buy the dang watch and if you go over your budget, so be it. Just don't log in here for a couple months until you recover. :tu:

This place is watch crack for a WIS.

i've had several similar occurences here on RWG...

the one that i kick myself over the most is the beautiful vintage franken omega 300m that went on the boards twice :wounded1: for $500ish and both times i couldn't bring myself to pick it up.

*kick kick kick*

deltatahoe

Yeah you know what's REALLY gonna hurt? A year from now when I don't have Oliver's gorgeous COMEX on my wrist.

*kick kick kick*

well if it is any consolation, it will hopefully (fingers crossed) be on MY wrist a year from now (oli & i have been working out a sale that he'd be happy with on the comex)....

we could of course temporarily swap with one of your other vintage beauties :wub: for a short while if you REALLY want to have it on your wrist a year from now ;)

deltatahoe

I hear ya. Many's the time I didn't pull the trigger and then regretted it for YEARS after. It's only money, right? So take this AND next month's AND the next month's allocation of fun money, put it together and buy it.

Examples:

1) I found a gen bezel/insert for my 6536 16 years ago and I balked at spending $250 for it. Now a gen bezel is over $1,000 IF you can find one. A gen insert that's even readable is another $500 or so. I finally went with a MY bezel a couple years ago and it's gorgeous but... it's not gen. Do I regret not spending the $250 back then? Yes. Was it a significant amount then? Yes.

*kick kick kick*

2) I've been looking for a good 1675 GMT forever. 12 years ago a close friend in Seattle offered me one for $900. I balked, and now the prices are around $4,000. I reasoned that The One would have just the right combination of details, but I still kicked myself. I finally found the perfect GMT a couple months ago and snatched it for $2,800 and I figure I stole it. Do I regret not spending the $900 back then? Yes. Was it a significant amount then? Yes.

*kick kick kick*

Moral of the story: buy the dang watch and if you go over your budget, so be it. Just don't log in here for a couple months until you recover. :tu:

This place is watch crack for a WIS.

Nanuq...I should hate you right now. Your story and advice was WAY too compelling ;).

It is pretty crazy to think how those things have appreciated. That gen bezel/insert that cost 250 in 1991 dollars would now be worth 375. 375-->1k is a biiig difference.

That 1675 that cost $900 in '95 would be worth $1250 in today's dollars. Again, pretty big jump. And yes, you did steal that 1675...I'd love to have a transitional pepsi 1675 for 2800 :). That said, I've been thinking about getting one of the final production pepsi GMT-IIs a few years down the road, and holding onto it.

I do wonder where Kontiki prices will be in a few years, but I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that they would at least pace the rate of inflation (if not outpace, since it seems like vintage divers are really moving). I'll watch the auction, something tells me that there are going to be a few people gunning for this one.

Yeah you know what's REALLY gonna hurt? A year from now when I don't have Oliver's gorgeous COMEX on my wrist.

*kick kick kick*

Serves you right you greedy bastard!!! Mwahahah......:lol:

Delta - you're also being a greedy bastard :lol: I notice another nicely aged addition to the vintage family just this afternoon ;)

I see the really thrashed IDF went for a lot more than I expected. Hmmmmmmmmm. $1,043? Wow. That's a lot for a thrashed ETA based automatic, with no provenance to back up its engraving.

Defacto, I hope you don't mind but I decided to go big on the IDF that remains. It's a little too nice to pass up. We'll see how insane it gets. If you're serious about it, please PM your intentions ... I don't want to be bidding against another member here.

:tu:

CRAP!!! WTF LISTING PULLED??? AAGH, I HOPE HE DIDN'T SETTLE WITH SOMEONE OUTSIDE OF EBAY! I hope that nobody stole mah bukkit. Nanuq, if you swindled him into selling it outside of ebay, I will offer you 1000 king salmons in exchange for the watch. I like using relevant Alaskan currency. :lol: JK! Going to message the seller now to see what happened....