When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Sea Dweller - Single Red, Double Red, Great White

Stephane

I thought of that but I paid 100 to install the superdome and waterproof. Now to remove it, install the flat top and then remove and install the superdome on the DR we are talking another 200. What is the stock crystal that comes with the MBW DR?

Which dial is better the one on the single OR the double red MBW?

Does Clarke sell a flat top T39?

I thought of that but I paid 100 to install the superdome and waterproof. Now to remove it, install the flat top and then remove and install the superdome on the DR we are talking another 200. What is the stock crystal that comes with the MBW DR?

Which dial is better the one on the single OR the double red MBW?

Does Clarke sell a flat top T39?

@perry563

I contacted Clarke and currently they do not sell a flat-top T39

I might have a genuine flat top for sale. I'm contemplating an upgrade to the superdome for my sea dweller. I am having a hard time trying to decide whether it would be worth it. The Clark's are $60 and supposedly very similar to the gen. It wouldn't make sense to add a rep part in place of a genuine, especially considering the flat top is more 'accurate' for my watch anyways.

I could justify it more easily if I was putting the money from the flat top towards the superdome...

I might have a genuine flat top for sale. I'm contemplating an upgrade to the superdome for my sea dweller. I am having a hard time trying to decide whether it would be worth it. The Clark's are $60 and supposedly very similar to the gen. It wouldn't make sense to add a rep part in place of a genuine, especially considering the flat top is more 'accurate' for my watch anyways.

I could justify it more easily if I was putting the money from the flat top towards the superdome...

Do I read you well ?

Perry, you have a nice opportunity here :)

perry, I think it would be easiest to swap movement/dail/hands as a complete unit on the cases.

I would suggest the RR only because the "single red" SD is a such a rare watch. I think there are only around 400 in existence & they are worth a princely sum.

Do I read you well ?

Perry, you have a nice opportunity here :)

:lol:

I am always open to ideas! I've been wrestling with this upgrade decision for a while now. I've gone back and forth a couple of times, but with the way the prices on the superdomes have been going, I figure this is my last chance before they're going to be unobtainable without dropping over $500, and that is just absurd.

I have seen these in the flesh and they are a joy to the eyes, it is like a snap shot of time and over time and throught the times. Thanks for reminding me of the GTG and thanks for the time you have put into this the watches and the post.

• 3 months later...

Update july 5th, 2008:

Because I have 3 vintage SDs, I always dreamed that the Great White would have the latest version of the case back.

Oh, of course, some Great Whites came with a "Double Red" case back.

But I prefer this one :)

RolexSeaDwellerGreatWhite_800_44.jpg

Two good friends of mine, Yello and RepAustria put their efforts together to offer this one to me.

Guys, thank you so much. You did a fantastic job in finding one Yello and by aging it RepAustria!

RolexSeaDwellerGreatWhite_800_46.jpg

RolexSeaDwellerGreatWhite_800_47.jpg

Damn ...

i would lie if i would say im not jealous ... i keep trying to get one for my GW but no luck i posted several times that im looking for one ... nothing not 1 PM :(

The dealers come back with the usual i can maybe sell u case only but not just case back ...

oka grumpy mode off ...

enjoy urse btw looks fantastic!

Laz

i would lie if i would say im not jealous ... i keep trying to get one for my GW but no luck i posted several times that im looking for one ... nothing not 1 PM :(

The dealers come back with the usual i can maybe sell u case only but not just case back ...

Laz - Some months ago, Phong gave me a price of $450 for a DRSD caseback by itself (I was not sure it would fit my MBW case, so I held off)

1665caseback.jpg

Freddy hi the case back u pictured ia a DRSD case back the one on the Stepanes pictures is the one i want the GW one ... that said im more then eager to swap my DRSD MBW Case back to the GW MBW one ... anytime :) so if someone out there has a GW one and needs a DRSD one shoot me a pm ;)

PS ... 450$ ??? Sheeesh all do i must say engravings on the one u pictured look deeper then the MBW ones ...

Laz

PS ... 450$ ??? Sheeesh all do i must say engravings on the one u pictured look deeper then the MBW ones ...

Laz

450$ and you still need to have it modded properly... :(

I some time wonder if drugs woudn't be a cheaper addiction :D

Phong's casebacks are bad - the teeth for the opener are too high and not machined properly - the opener tends to slip. MBW casebacks are far superior. Only better thing of Phong's casebacks is that they have engraved fonts on the inside and that you can have your personal number engraved. Outside engaving is flawed too!

Phong's casebacks are bad - the teeth for the opener are too high and not machined properly - the opener tends to slip. MBW casebacks are far superior. Only better thing of Phong's casebacks is that they have engraved fonts on the inside and that you can have your personal number engraved. Outside engaving is flawed too!

Now how about that :o thx for the info on this appreciated B) ... so this is deffinetly not an option at least for me -_-

laz

That is 1 of the reasons the $450 Vietnamese caseback is more accurate than the MBW. If I was certain it would fit, I would probably have picked it up when it was offered.

Good luck on your GW caseback search.

I am surprised to hear your opener slips on Phong's (Vietnamese) caseback. One of the inaccuracies of the MBW are its too-shallow teeth (though my caseback tool does not slip). The external engraving on the Vietnamese caseback has more correctly sized & proportioned lettering (the words 'OYSTER' & GAS' are engraved wider than the rest of the lettering & the dot between 'patent' & 'valve' is correctly sized/placed on Phong's). Although the Vietnamese caseback's engraving is not as laser-perfect as the MBW (neither is the gen), after a proper sanding/buffing I think Phong's caseback would look more like the gen than my MBW. No one but me ever sees the inside lettering, so it is of much less importance to me than the outside lettering.

New MBW on right (ignore the 2 arrows, but note the depth of the teeth & size/location of the engraved dot relative to the dotted line between 'patent' & 'valve')

spacerdot_location.jpg

Phong's Vietnamese caseback

1665caseback.jpg

MBW after vintagizing

Image10.jpg

I tried Phongs back on an MBW case and an MBW back on a Phong case - both fit. The Phong engraving is good, don't get me wrong, I just would like to emphasize that for 450$ it's not good enough in my humble opinion... The caseback tool doesn't exactly slip, it's more like that it's difficult to put it on centered - it wobbles around and doesn't grip the full teeth. At teh base they have a bigger diameter than they should have.

I tried Phongs back on an MBW case and an MBW back on a Phong case - both fit. The Phong engraving is good, don't get me wrong, I just would like to emphasize that for 450$ it's not good enough in my humble opinion... The caseback tool doesn't exactly slip, it's more like that it's difficult to put it on centered - it wobbles around and doesn't grip the full teeth. At teh base they have a bigger diameter than they should have.

Ok, that makes more sense & while I think the Vietnamese back is more accurate, I had trouble rationalizing $450 too. But I may at some point since I am working on some upgrades again.

sorry guys - this hole caseback discussion is so far beyond my imagination :lol:

what exactly is the point to put and seek an other caseback than the stock MBW one ?

please explain it to me :)

but you lost me already at the changing of the endlinks ... this is also something i can never ever understand ;)

why don't you case about the huge flaws of the dial or datewheel first ? LOL

cheers,

Frank

Ok, that makes more sense & while I think the Vietnamese back is more accurate, I had trouble rationalizing $450 too. But I may at some point since I am working on some upgrades again.

:thumbsupsmileyanim: Ongoing updates. I feel like you Freddy. It's probably one of the sexiest point in this hobby...never stop till you are satisfied.

Stopping would be like the end of a love affair :wounded1:

sorry guys - this hole caseback discussion is so far beyond my imagination :lol:

what exactly is the point to put and seek an other caseback than the stock MBW one ?

please explain it to me :)

but you lost me already at the changing of the endlinks ... this is also something i can never ever understand ;)

why don't you case about the huge flaws of the dial or datewheel first ? LOL

cheers,

Frank

Explain ? That is hard to do Frank.

I would simply say :bangin: