When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just received my very first rep...Updated w/Wrist Shots

stagfan

Hi guys. I received my very first rep today. The SFSO from Silix. I was really excited to open the package. As soon as I saw the watch, I was really amazed by the quality of the watch. As a newbie to reps, I am not really familiar as how to identify if this really is the ETA version w/double AR. But I really trust Jay and I know that he will not send me a crappy one.

One problem I noticed is that the bezel is a bit loose. I wonder if it can be tightened and how?

Thanks for reading...

Edited by stagfan

...I received my very first rep today. The SFSO from Silix...As a newbie to reps, I am not really familiar as how to identify if this really is the ETA version w/double AR.

Good first choice!!

You won't be able to tell if you have the ETA version without opening the casback and looking for the appropriate engravings on the movement. Even with the caseback off, it might be a bit deceiving as some rotors have branding of the watch on them (i.e. Breitling).

As to identifying the AR, if you hold the watch at an angle, and you see a blue reflection hue on the surface of the crystal, that's double AR. Really, if it looks like the crystal "disappears" at certain angles (try looking at the watch straight on)...that's definitely double AR.

Excellent choice for a first rep - I'm just waiting for mine to arrive from Jay! :good:

BTW, what colour dial did you go for?

I really dont know how to open the caseback. With regards to AR, yes I see a blue hue at a certain angle.

One problem I noticed is that the bezel is a bit loose. How do I tighten it?

Double AR it is then. Ace!!

As to the caseback, there are specialized vices on the high end or go to The Bay and search for a tool called a Jaxa:

Bay Jaxa Search

there are cheap ones...or you can use a big ball of duct tape.

Thanks guys. Aside from going to an AD to purchase a gen leather strap, do you recommend BOB or watchprince.com for aftermarket leather straps?

Which is the dealer that sells the best leather/quality straps out there?

AFIK, BOB does not carry aftermarket straps, but I'm another one of his happy customers. I have several straps from him and they are all extremely good value for money.

One problem I noticed is that the bezel is a bit loose. How do I tighten it?

It is possible, but not easy!

1. To take it off, you have by turning the bezel at left to pull powerful.

2. Bend the ring like on the pic (1.) to be more tight. Then on horizontal looking (2.) you must form the ring up and down from bend to bend. But not so much like on the delineation!

3. Install the bezel again by turning to the left.

(Iknow, that on the pic is a BCE, but it is the same method)

post-3491-1194370682_thumb.jpg

I went for the white/silver dial. I now want to get rid of the SS bracelet and replace it with a genuine leather strap. Wondering where to get it...

This is one watch that cries out for a leather strap as the ss professional II bracelet is so plain, IMO.

post-3819-1194373450_thumb.jpg

post-3819-1194373494_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fireman_Fred

Well placing my rep next to the catalog with the seconds stopped at 12 i see absoloutly no difference, but also bear in mind that breitling have proved to be not the most consistant, in the 07 catalog there are versions with a fat and a thin date window and with curved and straight S in super. Also although the picture (looks like a computer image as opposed to a photo of the watch) you show looks like it is looking directly on the face it may not be, if you have both in your hand at the same time (and i have) the difference between the rep and gen is so negilible it is not realy worth talking about and if there is a diffenrce in the seconds hand at all it must be in the 10ths of a mm.

Thanks FxrAndy, It really feels great and the quality of the watch is the best Ive seen. Now I am in the hunt for an IWC and I am torn between the 3717 and the 2006 Cousteau Diver. Maybe I will just wait for the reviews of the Aquatimer before pulling the trigger on one.

Fireman_Fred, You are absolutely right! I am also looking for the perfect leather strap to compliment my silver dial SFSO. Not sure whether a deployant or buckle.

hey Stagfan welcome to the club wearing mine right now, but that watch could spoil rep collecting for ever, the quality of it is just top. You might never feel a rep like it again, but i hope we all will.

Well placing my rep next to the catalog with the seconds stopped at 12 i see absoloutly no difference, but also bear in mind that breitling have proved to be not the most consistant, in the 07 catalog there are versions with a fat and a thin date window and with curved and straight S in super. Also although the picture (looks like a computer image as opposed to a photo of the watch) you show looks like it is looking directly on the face it may not be, if you have both in your hand at the same time (and i have) the difference between the rep and gen is so negilible it is not realy worth talking about and if there is a diffenrce in the seconds hand at all it must be in the 10ths of a mm.

really?? but did u get ur sosf from silix??

No i got mine from PT but as far as i am aware there is only one factory making the SFSO, is it different, if you have one from silix then stop the seconds at 12 and put some comparison pics up so that we can see.

@ Stagfan, is the placement of the square on you SFSO different from all the other millions of pics on the board and the Gen?

FxrAndy, I cant seem to understand your question. What square are you referring to?

No i got mine from PT but as far as i am aware there is only one factory making the SFSO, is it different, if you have one from silix then stop the seconds at 12 and put some comparison pics up so that we can see.

@ Stagfan, is the placement of the square on you SFSO different from all the other millions of pics on the board and the Gen?