When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aquaracer inking removal

millemiglia

Hi everyone!

I was wondering how to get rid of the "inaccurate" black inking on the back of the Aquaracer. I know I need some kind of abrasive paste, but being a noob at this I don't know the following:

1)What kind of paste

2)which brand

3) where to get it (as in:what kind of stores/shops feature this kind of paste)

Any help would be much appreciated! :notworthy:

Edited by millemiglia

You can also use cloth with some paint thinner. Just make sure you cleanse it with water afterwards!

That is something I would like to know:what shops sell it, which brand should I go for?

For Pix: my problem with removing the case is that you lose water-proofing (if there's any). It is not sufficient to re-close the case tightly, a new perfectly compatible gasket must be installed (and the old one tossed away).

If I can avoid that it would be nice, otherwise there is some extra work waiting for me... ^_^

For Pix: my problem with removing the case is that you lose water-proofing (if there's any). It is not sufficient to re-close the case tightly, a new perfectly compatible gasket must be installed (and the old one tossed away).

If I can avoid that it would be nice, otherwise there is some extra work waiting for me... ^_^

Are you aware you are talking about rep here ? I fairly doubt any of gaskets in our watches are "perfectly compatible" let alone changed every time caseback is opened :D Maybe some of the resident watchmeisters may correct me, but if gasket is not damaged it is enough to put some silicone grease on it, place it correctly and tighten caseback - if it was waterproof before it will certainly remain that way.

regards

Since I had it at home I tryed Acetone first (the kind used for nails) it didn't even remotely work!! :wallbash:

Not even a taint of black on the q-tip/cotton bud!!!

Is that normal?

Tomorrow I will try some ultra powerful paint thinner from the local hardware store...

My question is:is it sufficient to soak a cotton bud in these solvents to work on the inking, or should I detach the case back and submerge it in paint thinner completely (and leave it there for hours)?

That balck inking looks extremely sturdy... :cc_confused:

The Acetone for nails is in fact a soft thinner that contains very few acetone (fortunately for our ladies :))

Acetone should be the one used for varnishes or painting, i.e. pure one.

:doh:

Told you I'm a noob! :p

When I called the hardware store yesterday they told me they have a powerful solvent that mixes pure Acetone and Nitro (???) that sould work... ^_^

man, paint thinner will work just fine. If they ask for specifics say its for enamel. Airbrush thinner or model paint thinner is what your looking for if you have a hobby shop nearby.

Dont remove your caseback if you dont have to. Like Doc said, overkill. Just keep it away from the seams, that stuff will melt plastic, let alone eat up an o-ring.

Have you even checked the caseback? It may be loose from the factory, most of the time they are.

Edited by P4GTR

• 3 weeks later...

After sometime I finally got to do the work and here is the result (sorry for all that dust):

After1hr.jpg

It wasn't that easy though, it took 1 hour of work not 5 minutes and no qtip worked (I had to stick a needle in, and work every letter one by one!!)

The wrong thinner maybe?

Edited by millemiglia

• 3 weeks later...
Indeed, still I wonder if a better solvent/thinner would have saved me from 1 hour of hard work :cc_confused:

Don't spend too much time and causing damage to your watch. I used only Acetone (used for nail paint removal) and a piece of cotton ear bud. It safer to your fingers and to your watch as well. I tried to use a sewing needle once but it sometimes scratches the entire back so I stopped and changed option.

It worked really well. I only spent 15 minutes to give it a flawless look (just like the gen) Here's the technique:

1. Put the end of the cotton bud into the bottle of acetone.

2. Rub it gently first to each word, Then as it start to get the acetone into each letter, rub it quite harder. Do this to each word. Until no sign of paint is visible.

3. Wipe it with a dry soft cloth.

Should give you result like this:

DSC00809.jpg

DSC00808.jpg

now its 99% accurate to gen...

maybe I tried the wrong acetone, the one I used at first (fingernail type) didn't do a thing to the paint. I then used a mixture of Nitro and Acetone and still I needed a metal needle and a lot of time. A friend of mine suggested absolute Nitro as it melts even plastic (go figure paint, absolute nitro is used to remove car paint when they do paint jobs).

The important thing is to avoid both scratches and 3 hours hard work...