When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Brand Do You Get The Most Comments On?

the_man

Easy for me. A couple of my vintage JLCs and 14K circa 1950s Longines tank. Difficult to believe but these get more compliments than the Pam. The Pam is more along the lines of "that thing is huge...never heard of the brand before." The others, "beautiful...where did you get them.... never seen one like that before." I've had offers to purchase one of my JLCs and the Longines. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

There is just something about vintage watches that perks folks' interest and stirs the emotion.

The vintage Rollies just go about their business on the wrist but do get admiring or at least curious looks.

Jet

• 1 month later...
What a shame, it was once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to first talk about watches and then get laid. :lol:

You said it ! What a shame !!

In my case I don't care whether I get comments or not.

I just like to have them on my wrist.

I prefer to have a few gens than a lot of reps but for some brands like PAM... it's worth getting a rep !

Santos two tone has received the most comments for me.

Unfortunately the gold bezel is starting to show a bit of wear. I don't know if other people can notice yet, because the slight gold fade at the outer edge could simply be taken as a shadow effect (even I have a hard time with this). But I know the truth, so I seldom wear it outside the house. Oh well, it was a $100 first generation, so it isn't that big a deal.

Rolexes don't get much comment, but IMO that's more because they're not terribly eye-catching or interesting, not because everybody thinks they're fake. That's just rep owner paranoia.

I rotated two watches (gen Explorer II and Datejust) for several years before discovering this site, I never heard anything except compliments, although those were rare also. I didn't get any "are those fake" comments, but then Asian-American professionals in LA wearing a nice watches (and driving nice cars, naturally) are about as rare as Mexican restaurants. A person would get himself into a lot of unnecessary confrontation going around in LA accusing every one they meet of wearing fake watches.

I have gravitated away from wearing or buying Rolex reps, simply because they're not very interesting once you get over the "hee hee, I bought a fake Rolex" juvenility, and I've realized that for me, there's not much point to them.

Pams by far draw the most comments, overwhelmingly positive in my experience. Although people have no idea what they are, or that the gens are very expensive. They just find them interesting looking. The crowning achievement was when my buddy, who wears a gen Daytona and has hitherto been at best gently contemptuous of my rep habit, eyed my 212 all during lunch before finally declaring "damn, I don't care if it's fake, I gotta get me one of those!"

I once got a Rolex comment when I was wearing my extremely accurate rep of Pepsi GMT Master. "Nice Seiko!" :lol:

I have done that before. With a customer that came into the store. He got very irate "Man its a Rolex!" and began yelling at me. As he left his girlfriend told me it was a fake! HEE HEE!

The most comments i get for my pam 217 destro on a watchinger strap.

I wear a suit at work, and I choose the watch to wear in combination with my slk tie. That gives the most comments.

I once got a Rolex comment when I was wearing my extremely accurate rep of Pepsi GMT Master. "Nice Seiko!" :lol:

Once in a nightclub a beautiful young lady commented my Bond Seamaster. She said "Now, that's a watch I like!" Turned out she was wearing a ladies' model of the SMP. Too bad I already had female company. What a shame, it was once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to first talk about watches and then get laid. :lol:

Great Story!!!

My Pam 172 and my VC Chrono!!! :victory:

The wife and I stopped into the Chanel boutique this last week to see the J12s. They are definately nice watches.

We ordered the 38mm version in white from EL as soon as we got home!

The EL j12 is good, but is pretty different from the real deal. I had one for a month or so, and sold it to get a gen chrono. It just made me want a real one even more. :bangin:

We were quoted $3650 for the larger white plain dial version.

Mind giving some commentary on the J12 differences you noticed?

Overall it's a really good rep. To 99.9% of the population, it's indistinguishable from the original.

-The "1" on the "15" on the bezel is the wrong font. It should be "|5"

- The bracelet is, as far as I can tell, nonadjustable and lacks the silver pins in the six links closest to the clasp

-The bracelet has screws holding it together on the inside, the gen only has small dimples on the inside.

The ceramic looks very similar, the rep having less of a pearl effect than the gen, but not by much. The rep is also a bit lighter.

I would only be concerned about it being spotted as a rep by someone either wearing a gen or working in a watch store.

The pic of the rep is bad, but you can see it next to a gen.

Rep

post-743-1153072483_thumb.jpg

Gen

post-743-1153072676_thumb.jpg

Edited by lemonvr6