When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Would you pay $800 for a new, fully-assembled, Asian 7760-powered vintage Daytona with asymmetrical pushers?

freddy333

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My intention wasn't to point out all of the flaws on the pictured dial, but rather to mention that it can't be replaced with a VJ72 dial. This is significant because, aside from the symmetry of the pushers, the dial is the most telling feature of a replica. It would be nice to be able to continue your search for a "more perfect" dial, after you own the replica. With this model, your choices will be limited.

How about me, Avitt and F333's opinons! :crazy:

Ok seriously... You will not get a perfect watch for $800. This is the issue at hand here.

The only perfect watch you can get costs over $20k.

For $800, what can you accept?

hmm you guys do the trick as well :-))

Dial issue seems a major one..

I would want to upgrade to a close to perfect dial someday...

I agree that the dial has issues, but I still think the asymmetrical pushers trump the dial issues making them almost non-issues. Sure, it would be nice to have the ability to swap the dial for a (better) v72 dial, but, again, that is the difference between a factory-made $800 watch and a home-brewed $2,000+ one..... Keep in mind, also, that no one has a perfect V72 dial either. And I and others here have been searching for years. And since the case appears to be the same one that DW uses in his kits (at least the dimensions appear to be the same), I guess an owner could swap out the 7760 & dial for a V72 & dial if he locates one in the future. Maybe knowing there is that option would make the watch more palatable to more people.

Avitt brings up thee quintessential point that we've all been wrestling with since the debut of the V72-powered Daytonas a few years ago:

The elusive Holy Grail - the perfect dial.

The fact that parts would not be available for the 7760 version is a considersation that must be taken into account. The reasoning here is that the 62xx series is really all about the extent of mods that one can do. It is, in essence, 'open game'. Your only 2 limits are: your funds available in your bank account & your ability to be creative and think outside of the box

I agree that the dial has issues, but I still think the asymmetrical pushers trump the dial issues making them almost non-issues. Sure, it would be nice to have the ability to swap the dial for a (better) v72 dial, but, again, that is the difference between a factory-made $800 watch and a home-brewed $2,000+ one..... Keep in mind, also, that no one has a perfect V72 dial either. And I and others here have been searching for years.

Agreed. All rep dials have flaws. This is very nice replica, and meets the minimum requirements for a piece that I would wear myself.

The fact that parts would not be available for the 7760 version is a considersation that must be taken into account. The reasoning here is that the 62xx series is really all about the extent of mods that one can do. It is, in essence, 'open game'. Your only 2 limits are: your funds available in your bank account & your ability to be creative and think outside of the box

The case used on this watch appears to be the same one DW used for my V72 DWs, so all of the options for retro-fitting gen parts should apply. The only difference between the DW and this watch is the dial & movement. But I remain unconvinced that the downsides of the dial, such as they are, would present any serious shortcomings in the context of the numerous upsides presented by the case and asymmetrical pusher layout.

Replace the rep crown/tube, crystal, bracelet/end links with gen parts & the caseback with a DW and I would wager that such a watch would successfully (and easily) pass for a gen almost anywhere short of TZ or an (experienced) AD -- the same as with a DW. In fact, I think I may take this 6263 out for its first test drive this evening (and the watch is still fitted with the original cheap-o domed crystal (not bad, but no where near as striking as the beveled gen T21)).

Only if it was included in a set of 4 !!! ;) ;) ;)

Anything over $200. for ANY rep is overspending IMNSFHO

In fact my last BIG purchase was an Arktos (asian) for $120.00!!

I cherry pick the sales boards for private party sales, and seldom spend over $100. for a rep...

After all....no matter HOW MUCH you spend, you can't make a "gen" out of it, so why get crazy...??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Only if it was included in a set of 4 !!! ;) ;) ;)

Anything over $200. for ANY rep is overspending IMNSFHO

In fact my last BIG purchase was an Arktos (asian) for $120.00!!

I cherry pick the sales boards for private party sales, and seldom spend over $100. for a rep...

After all....no matter HOW MUCH you spend, you can't make a "gen" out of it, so why get crazy...??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

...It's like discussing the beauty of a woman. You can't be made to understand... :rolleyes:

Would this help?

raybans004.jpg

When viewed in the wild or in a less analytical context, I think people would be hard-pressed to identify this watch as anything other than a mint gen 6263.

And let us keep in mind that the point here is not to fool people who carry loupes (ADs and TZ cognoscenti), but, instead, to be able to wear your rep out in the real world among the general population without fear of being outted. And I think this watch fits that requirement handily.

Well I finally got a chance to do a little googling on the 7760. I had thought that the 7765 was the manual wind variation of the of the 7750, which it is, but it's typically in the bi-compax version. The 7760 is the tri-compax version, manual wind, of the 7750. Came out in the 80's w/ 17 jewels like the 7750 did originally. You see this movement in Sinn and Hanhart watches- flieger (pilot) type watches. This movement can be either a 3-6-9 configuration, or the 6-9-12 like the modern V7750. Beat rate is 28800 (in the Swiss) so it'll be interesting to see what the asian has.

We've seen improvements in the asian 7750 in the last couple of years and this 7760 is just one more addition to the ever changing asian watch scene. I think it's an exciting development and look forward to seeing more of it.

Of course, for the true Daytona (and pre-Daytona) aficionados, nothing will ever replace the V72.

Alli - Good info, but let me add a couple of tidbits now that I have had the chance to live with this pseudo-7760 (de-rotored 7750) baby for a few days now.

(Manuel, this is for you - V72 DWs on the ends & the Asian 775x in the center)

Image1-6.jpg

First, while I do not have the official specs on these Asian 775x variants, I believe, based on what I hear, that this thing is beating at a much more leisurely pace (21.6k bph) than the Swiss version (28k bph). Now, while that is not exactly an identical twin to the V72's 18k beats per hour, it is, like the differences between the ETA 2846 that many of us use in our Double Red's in place of a gen 1575, I believe, close enough for government work......and a more than acceptable compromise for an accurate fully-assembled rep that (I project) would go for roughly 1/3 the price of the V72-powered kit.

Second, and this is probably the money shot for anyone salivating over the possibility of a real & affordable alternative to the cantankerous & expensive V72 Daytona clone -- I am finding that the ONLY thing missing that I am conscious of when swapping the 7750 for one of the V72s is its lack of a Newman dial (for me, the Newman dial is like heroin to a junkie....cannot live without it). But, on the other hand, the non-Newman dials are likely to get considerably more wrist time since wearing them would create far fewer raised eyebrows ('That guy is wearing an $80,000 Rolex to McDonald's!!!!....Impossible!!!!). When I look down, as I often do while wearing an iconic watch like this (vintage Daytona), the first thing my eye goes to for reassurance (that I am not leaving myself open to the potential of 'fake Rolex' ridicule) are those pushers. As long as I see those oddly offset (asymmetrical) pushers proudly proclaiming to any onlooker that this ain't likely to be a fake, I have no reason to question the watches provenance any further. And I have owned almost 20 different Daytona reps over the course of the past 20 or so years and this (7750) is the first and only one (other than the V72 DWs) that I feel is sufficiently convincing that it might have kept me from spending extra for a DW had I found & tried this one first. It is that good. And I am being honest here.

Now, of course, opinions will vary, but I think I am pretty familiar with the details of vintage Daytonas & I have a pretty good idea of how to tell a gen from a good fake (even from the distance of several feet) & anyone who knows me well would tell you that I am as neurotic as anyone when it comes down to getting the details right (I used to sell vintage British sportscars that I had restored from the ground-up), and I am convinced that no one that I might encounter in my daily travels would ever be able to identify this watch as anything other than a gen. No, it is not perfect (no rep is), but I still feel that having the correct pusher arrangement on a watch with this level of refinement would make it not only a reasonable alternative to the V72, but even a 'Best Buy' within the full range of alternatives.

Thanks freedy, I alredy have the valjoux 726, will later get a dw case.

but wouldnt mind to buy this superb replica also. so is the silver dial daytona the one Josh is selling?

sorry for not re-reading the whole post again, but does this watch have mods? If yes, which ones?

Unless you know something I do not, none of the collectors here offer a vintage Daytona with asymmetrical pushers.

Similar to DWs and other reps, the watch arrived here without any gen parts. I replaced the crown & tube with gen Triplocks (current 703 version, which is what Rolex service would fit to a vintage Oyster Daytona gen these days) and the caseback with an extra DW caseback (part of the reason I removed the 7750's rotor was to be able to fit the shallower DW caseback, which leaves the 7750's case at the same height & with the same profile as a V72 DW). Because I am so happy with this watch, I will be swapping the rep crystal and bracelet for a beveled gen T21 & 7835/357, respectively. And in case you may not have read it above, this watch would NOT be delivered with any gen parts. These would need to be purchased & installed by the potential buyer at extra cost. But, again, the watch in the picture has only had the crown/tube & caseback (which is not shown) replaced and the difference in appearance, as anyone who has modded crowns/tubes knows, is minimal. The watch you see in the center is essentially the watch I am proposing (though I think Newman dials might be able to be sourced as an option).

I have to get to work so I admit I only read the OP. Pls. forgive if what I'm writing has been said over and over in this thread. For $800, I could live w/ the minor flaws but not with the subdial spacing (which also means you're stuck w/ whatever dials are made for the rep). It's the same old problem: most people will thinkk it's a real live Rolex. The people who know what a vintage daytona is all about, would say "rep" just as fast as they would w/ a $350 rep from the Trusty Time. If I pay that kind of money, I'd want a collector to have to handle the watch and stare at it to tell it's a rep. I'd just as soon give the cartell $350 for a watch that would fool the same 99.9% of the people as this one would...or I'd spend the money and do a great white that someone would have to set the date to really tell it's a rep.

But that being said--I'm insanely anal. I think if a factory made them they wouldn't loose money. After all, less accurate reps sell for close to that money every day.