When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panoz Cars

Victoria

Just watching the Travel Channel (I love this channel!) and viewing an episode of "John Ratzenberger's Made in America". He's at the Panoz factory -- a roadster car assembly factory, where cars are completely assembled by a skeleton staff.

Never heard of Panoz, but my God, what beautiful little sport cars! This is my favourite -- the Esperante. :wub:

Esperante2-200dpi.jpg

They even race these cars in LeMans!

Why am I always the last to know? :rolleyes:

They raced em...but they never did well. The esperante LMP was always DOMINATED by the R8s. As far as Panoz goes, the AIV Roadster was cool, but IMO, the Esperante is a glorified mustang. Why do I say that? It is. Interior bits, motor, trans, suspension, steering system, etc, etc...all mustang bits. For that matter, the AIV Roadster was a glorified Mustang as well, just a bit more glorified than the Esperante. They were making quite a buzz in the early part of the decade, but they fell off the map after they took forever getting their models out, etc. When it came to cars in the "Sporty GT Roadster" category, there were a few options. This is the road I took:

P1010261.sized.jpg

Never looked back.

They raced em...but they never did well. The esperante LMP was always DOMINATED by the R8s. As far as Panoz goes, the AIV Roadster was cool, but IMO, the Esperante is a glorified mustang. Why do I say that? It is. Interior bits, motor, trans, suspension, steering system, etc, etc...all mustang bits. For that matter, the AIV Roadster was a glorified Mustang as well, just a bit more glorified than the Esperante. They were making quite a buzz in the early part of the decade, but they fell off the map after they took forever getting their models out, etc. When it came to cars in the "Sporty GT Roadster" category, there were a few options.

Wow, what a buzzkill. :lol:

Ah well. I'll punch any man here who calls me "a typical woman" about anything, but I'll keep my meathooks to my sides about cars. I know nothing about cars or engines. If it looks pretty, I'll buy it. :wacko:

As I mentioned, I'm in the market for a car, so that's probably why my attention was caught by the Panoz.

EDIT: Ooh, I didn't see your photo at first. WOW, awesome car. What is it? *g* ...and I just love how huge American garages are. I know people in London who would consider that a small manor home.

Wow, what a buzzkill. :lol:

Ah well. I'll punch any man here who calls me "a typical woman" about anything, but I'll keep my meathooks to my sides about cars. I know nothing about cars or engines. If it looks pretty, I'll buy it. :wacko:

As I mentioned, I'm in the market for a car, so that's probably why my attention was caught by the Panoz.

LOL, sorry to be the buzzkill, cars are my first passion. I know you aren't a typical woman; however, you've alluded to the fact that you take extreme interest in new hobbies. Perhaps this is a new one for you!

PS...my vote for pretty GT roadster can be seen above.

vbarrett, what are you in the market for particularly? A roadster? A PROPER roadster? Or just a pretty convertible?

Pretty convertible. Probably a second-hand Mercedes one. In January, I get my dividends etc. from investments, so I'll be flush for exactly a few days. :p

Fortunately, I was always told December-January are excellent times to purchase cars.

(My dad is unwell, as you know, so we have to sell off his 5-series Beemer. Thus my car which you see in Wristchecks will revert to my mother, and I'll need new, less big wheels)

Cool cars, but you can do a lot better for the money :)

As far as Panoz is concerned, I wholeheartedly agree.

bmw all the way babyyyyyyy !!! Defacto: what a nice car you got there... ahh... just tell me its stick shift and not automatic transmition :)

Yes indeed, BMW all the way! Thanks for the compliment! All Z8s came with 6 speeds. It's only those pussay Alpina Roadsters that come with autos and a weaker motor (from the X5 4.6is). My cars are stick, with the exception of this:

750_3.jpg

Alas, automatics are sometimes the price one pays for sanity.

Pretty convertible. Probably a second-hand Mercedes one.

I have a couple of cars.....

Best advice I could give you is to not listen to ANYONE about their choice in cars. Trust me when I say that you will not be buying it for them, but for you (If you are buying for others I'll email my address and preferences :)). When you decide on a model you like, then ask about it specifically. They may give out a "that year stinks! Buy this one." "This model in the GT version is much better" and you can get real information about the car YOU are going to buy.

The Mercedes are nice. You mentioned used. Going for a classic or recent? This was always a favorite of mine:

merc1.jpg

Good luck with whatever you decide and POST THOSE PICS!

merc1.jpg

:wub: :wub:

Now, don't kill me, I am Mercedes girl through and through. But I do believe BMW make a more beautiful red. Fire engine red, rather than the Merc's candy apple red (a hint of white and orange in it).

Good luck with whatever you decide and POST THOSE PICS!

Thanks! I'll definitely say when I've bought it! :)

But my parents have rules about me being online. No pics of myself, of gens, of inside our home, or a full shot of cars and possessions we have...sucks being a girl online sometimes.

Other times it's great.

But my parents have rules about me being online. No pics of myself, of gens, of inside our home, or a full shot of cars and possessions we have...

Those are good rules, and the reasons why I didn't actually show a picture of MY Panoz slot car and track :bangin:

Wuhuuuue 635 csi. the original batmobile for sure. thin glassed windows to save weight.

if we are showing off cars, id like to add my little beauty.

463976.jpg

and the engine

463977.jpg

get a lot of compliments for that one

Wuhuuuue 635 csi. the original batmobile for sure. thin glassed windows to save weight.

463976.jpg

and the engine

463977.jpg

get a lot of compliments for that one

Very nice notch, you deserve every last compliment you get for that! I can't tell if it's a windsor under there or not...whatcha got in there? B)

Sorry, gotta be the BMW fanatic mood killer and tell ya that it's not a 635CSi...it's a 3.0 CSL (Group 4). That body style is the E9, which is the predecessor to the E24, otherwise known as the 6 series. I love the E24, particularly ones of M variety. In fact, I like them so much, that I was foolish enough to take on a 3 year long (and counting) resto/mod project on one! She's currently stripped to the bone, has been acid dipped, and is being painted as we speak. Once that's done, she's all going back together, and will be done for good. Since I started, she's shed almost 400 pounds, has a fully reupholstered interior and fresh audio, Brembo F&R big brakes, Penske-shock based coilovers (and every last bushing/bearing you can think of has been upgraded), and a motor that's been built, bored and stroked to the tune of 340hp and 330tq at the wheels. It has been some smiles, and a whole lot of disappointment, anger and frustration. When it's all done, I won't know whether to smile, or to cry.

Shot in August '06, before paint, interior, new wheels, brakes, headers, throttle bodies, and her bump to 340whp (she had 290whp back then. Still an improvement over her 200whp stock)

r5.jpg

r5_2.jpg

Wow, that is a truly satunning 6 series. I have never see one in condition quite like that before!

Thanks so much, my friend! :D It's very rewarding when someone else appreciates it, it helps make the headaches and frustration that much more worth it! Just wait till you see her with the concours-level paint+trim(being done now), big brakes and fresh wheels!

Now thats a truly historic one of a kind car man.... SICK! i love it.. do you have limited slip differential?? lol

Big thanks, my man! Like I said above, it's very gratifying when someone has the same appreciation for the car as I do! The car comes stock with a 25% lock, 3.91 LSD. I recently replaced that with a 30/90 ramp, 4.10 LSD (polished BMW Motorsport gears). Not like the car is wanting for grunt...but, like Carrol Shelby once said, "too much is just right!" The 4.10 will definitely provide a nice bit of extra kick without diminishing drivability, and making gas mileage even more pitiful. And the 30/90 ramp will be absolutely sublime :D

Now, don't kill me, I am Mercedes girl through and through. But I do believe BMW make a more beautiful red. Fire engine red, rather than the Merc's candy apple red (a hint of white and orange in it).

Red? Oh, FAVORITE red. That would be my "wonder what I have to fix this season" car:

T0002797.jpg

463976.jpg

and the engine

463977.jpg

A classic Ford fan. Nice to meet you. Mine is just a standard 289V8 nuts and bolts resto (OK OK I'll stop with the "Car Forum" pics, I know it's a Watch forum :p )

1828a.gif

Edited by Xyphis

Love that 6 series and that alpina (is that what it is?)..I have an 95' M3 coupe and it has 80k miles on it and still runs great! Heres a pic - it looks way better when clean - Has 240hp stock, intake and exhaust add about 15hp - slapped some 330ci rims on it - also has limited slip diff, and its a 5speed - everytime I drive this baby it puts a big smile on my face :-) (except when theres snow on the ground than its helpless..damn rear wheel drive...thats what the acura mdx is for...also not that great in the snow but does the trick)

FRONT-1.jpg

Edited by UB7

Nice E36 M3! I had an affliction with one for a while. See my old '95 M332 (sold about a year and a half ago):

EMCTurbo2.jpg

The truly afflicted have probably already noticed the rather conspicuous intercooler occupying the front bumper and lower kidneys:

IMGP2145.jpg

That's because it had one of these:

EMCTurboInlet.jpg

567whp, 579wtq (93 octane pump fuel, no meth, WI, etc. Hot run in a hotter dyno room). God, having such a sleeper was dirty, naughty fun. 60-130mph in 9 seconds flat (on a 60mph punch, not a full run up from 40). Nobody knew. I even had 318 badges on the back for a while, just for laughs. That car was not for the weak hearted. Never has a car of mine garnered such polarized reactions from passengers. It certainly wasn't a car that people would say "eh, it was fine" after having a ride. Red-faced excitement, or white-faced fear were usually the two options that passengers chose from.

And in regards to the Lotus...silly Xyphis, we all know that there isn't just one thing to fix on a Lotus in one season! There's always a fun new gremlin to chase! :lol: And you have a sublime 'stang, looks like you really did it up proper on the resto, based on what I see in the .gif!