When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tattoos

TeeJay

I forget if this is a subject which has really been discussed before, but I'm curious to find out how others stand on the ink issue. FXRAndy, Lanikai, I'm expecting good results from you, amigos. I've been thinking more recently about my own tattoos and thinking what direction I want to go with them. Not so long ago, I was contemplating a full Japanese-style bodysuit, but, thanks to the use of some costume 'tattoo sleeves', have discovered that I wasn't so keen on the result as I thought, so I'll likely just stick to my plan to expand the tribal design on my shoulders down my spine and further up my neck. Another idea I have, came from watching Season 1 of Smallville, and the 'Kryptonite-infused tattoos' in the episode Kinetic, and I'm considering having additional lines added to my existing tribal work, but with green UV-reactive ink, and I think if it's handled properly, I could wind up with two very nice 'complimentary/negative image' tattoos right on top of each other :) Here're a few old pics of what I have done so far:

d6d752fd.jpg

89ec4cd6.jpg

0507dc38.jpg

Im going to for my second session on my sleev on Nov 24 .....should be another 4 or 5 hour sit down... its also a cover up ... is coming out pretty cool alot of detail and money ..... the bottom is 99% done it took about 5 hours in one sit.... i have a devil about to plunge a sword into an angel on the bottom and an arcangel about casting away demons on the top ..... i wanted it to show the battle of good vs evil but also show that good dosent always win ... i really dont want to post a pic until its complete... but i will of only the bottom later today

Im going to for my second session on my sleev on Nov 24 .....should be another 4 or 5 hour sit down... its also a cover up ... is coming out pretty cool alot of detail and money ..... the bottom is 99% done it took about 5 hours in one sit.... i have a devil about to plunge a sword into an angel on the bottom and an arcangel about casting away demons on the top ..... i wanted it to show the battle of good vs evil but also show that good dosent always win ... i really dont want to post a pic until its complete... but i will of only the bottom later today

That sounds like a really interesting design, I'll look forward to seeing the completed work :)

TJ nice and different design very distinctive, i ahve not had any work done for a long time and the person i want ed to carry on the work i have has just suffered very bad burns in a fire so he will be out for about a year, i will have a look for some photos later

TJ nice and different design very distinctive, i ahve not had any work done for a long time and the person i want ed to carry on the work i have has just suffered very bad burns in a fire so he will be out for about a year, i will have a look for some photos later

Thanks :) That's a real shame about your artist, burns are nasty things, I hope he recovers well and is able to get back to work. Looking forward to the photos :)

That is JUST awesome, TeeJay!

I'm not much for tats, would never get one, but some people just look amazing with them. Wish you luck in your designs. You know why. ;)

Thanks :) That particular photo is about 4 years old, and was taken when the design only went across my shoulders/deltoids, the photo above shows how I had it expanded a while later down my biceps and neck. Funnily enough, when I was younger, I swore that I would never get a tattoo, and couldn't even stand to draw on my hand in biro without washing it off right away, but suddenly, I had the urge to get a tattoo, and had my first one done (the small glyph on the base of my neck) the day before my 23rd birthday. After that, it wasn't long before I had the other work done, and about 3 years ago, I had the glyph tattoo repeated on my inner wrist. I've pretty much decided on what I think would look good with the UV expansion, but I'm waiting to hear back from the company (and then the artist) about the UV ink, so fingers crossed there :D

I would never get a tattoo, and couldn't even stand to draw on my hand in biro without washing it off right away, but suddenly, I had the urge to get a tattoo, and had my first one done (the small glyph on the base of my neck) the day before my 23rd birthday. After that, it wasn't long before I had the other work done, and about 3 years ago, I had the glyph tattoo repeated on my inner wrist.

Like some people swore they would never get a Panerai (me), these kinds of swears begin to prey on your mind. Then either consciously, or more often, unconsciously the idea filters through your mind -- willing itself to be contradicted.

"Why shouldn't I get a tattoo? Hmm, that Panerai DOES look rather nice...".

Before you know it, Glyph-city. :lol:

Some people look magnificent with a tattoo. Some look like utter prats...

Like the son of Rupert Murdoch I once met, at a vernissage at Saatchi & Saatchi...he wore one of those glyphs on his arm, which he made sure everyone saw by pushing up the sleeves of his formal suit! Reminded me of a recent remark this week, about watches.

UPDATE: FOUND A PHOTO!

pt_14MURDOCH_ent-lead__200x243.jpg

I think the lighter-skinned you are, the better it looks. The skin's transluscence picks up the details so much better. Seems to be your case, TeeJay!

I've pretty much decided on what I think would look good with the UV expansion, but I'm waiting to hear back from the company (and then the artist) about the UV ink, so fingers crossed there :D

;)

Like some people swore they would never get a Panerai (me), these kinds of swears begin to prey on your mind. Then either consciously, or more often, unconsciously the idea filters through your mind -- willing itself to be contradicted.

"Why shouldn't I get a tattoo? Hmm, that Panerai DOES look rather nice...".

Before you know it, Glyph-city. :lol:

I know what you mean, but it really was a bizarre and sudden shift in perception. One year, I didn't really want a tattoo, then, I saw Blade and From Dusk Till Dawn, and really liked the idea of getting a tattoo (to distract from a huge scar on my left ribcage), and my design was predominantly influenced by the design of Blade's tattoo, as was the glyph tattoo, which, although similar to those from the first movie, is a unique design, and one I use as an artist's signature on work I do :)

Some people look magnificent with a tattoo. Some look like utter prats...

Like the son of Rupert Murdoch I once met, at a vernissage at Saatchi & Saatchi...he wore one of those glyphs on his arm, which he made sure everyone saw by pushing up the sleeves of his formal suit! Reminded me of a recent remark this week, about watches.

I don't think it's so much the designs, but the behaviour of the person. As you say, someone pushing up the sleeves of a formal suit to show off a tattoo is a pretty silly thing to do. I actually saw a prime example of this behaviour a few hours ago. Emily and I were planning on going out with some friends, but, once out, she wasn't feeling up to it, so we decided to head home. On the way through the bus stop, we passed a group heading in the opposite direction. One of the guys (a skiny Emo sort) had his left arm fully sleeved with geometric designs. Not a bad design, but, given the temperature was about 10 C, and everyone had jackets on and was hunched against the cold, and he was only wearing a T Shirt, made his attire more than a little obvious and foolish :D

;)

:D If you ever change your mind and decide you do want a design done, just let me know, and I'll draw something up for you :) (I drew the stencils for all of my own tattoos)

Not a fan of tribal but that back tatto teejay was nice :)

I em thinking of half suit classic Japanse when i have build a ok muscle mass on my body.

Thanks :) I know tribal's not a style everyone likes. Personally, my favorite style of tattoos is classic Japanese, but, I do like things to be symetrical, and tribal is a style which lends itself well to symetry and repetition :)

A half-suit would look really sharp, but don't forget, it's not necessary to have a perfect physique for such tattoos, and, in the case of Japanese suits, they are often covering a multitude of sins :D

I know what you mean, but it really was a bizarre and sudden shift in perception.

The good thing about humans is that their nature is constant, but their opinions always change. ;)

One year, I didn't really want a tattoo, then, I saw Blade and From Dusk Till Dawn,

I think I admitted here I'm suggestible too, so I can relate!

and really liked the idea of getting a tattoo (to distract from a huge scar on my left ribcage),

Oh, I'm sorry about that...you see my current avatar? That's my cousin at the time in Afghanistan. He got a tattoo to cover a (small) battlewound. He and I always swore never to get one.

But if I had a disfigurement? Who knows. Wouldn't be Seal though. :)

and my design was predominantly influenced by the design of Blade's tattoo, as was the glyph tattoo, which, although similar to those from the first movie, is a unique design, and one I use as an artist's signature on work I do :)

Very nice!

Do you ever watch Miami Ink (correction, hehe)? It's actually in Miami Beach, obviously, but I pass by that place all the time. Wait, let me upload a photo later!

One time, I had to go in and translate for an (ollllld) German woman, who wanted to get a tattoo. Thank God she had drawing skills, else I would've made a pig's breakfast of her description. :lol:

I don't think it's so much the designs, but the behaviour of the person. As you say, someone pushing up the sleeves of a formal suit to show off a tattoo is a pretty silly thing to do. I actually saw a prime example of this behaviour a few hours ago. Emily and I were planning on going out with some friends, but, once out, she wasn't feeling up to it, so we decided to head home. On the way through the bus stop, we passed a group heading in the opposite direction. One of the guys (a skiny Emo sort) had his left arm fully sleeved with geometric designs. Not a bad design, but, given the temperature was about 10 C, and everyone had jackets on and was hunched against the cold, and he was only wearing a T Shirt, made his attire more than a little obvious and foolish :D

Skinny Emo! LOLOL...well, I'll say this. If you're under 30, you get a pass from me. The girl who went through an all-black pseudo-French intellectual goth phase can't cast stones at anyone.

But after 30, it becomes dodgy.

Maybe the skinny Emo was too young? ;)

:D If you ever change your mind and decide you do want a design done, just let me know, and I'll draw something up for you :) (I drew the stencils for all of my own tattoos)

I thank you enormously for that. :)

I'm fairly certain I won't take you up on your gracious offer, but I'd like to think there is someone out there I could turn to, for artistic inspiration!

:lol::thumbsupsmileyanim::lol::thumbsupsmileyanim: Nothing worse that a 'tramp stamp' or 'ass antlers' half-way up the back :lol::thumbsupsmileyanim::lol::thumbsupsmileyanim:

The proper positioning for such a tattoo, really is just above the curve of the buttocks, so when undressed, the tattoo doesn't look like it's 'floating' half-way up the back... If it's visible above a waistband (and is a thin design) then it's too high up...

The good thing about humans is that their nature is constant, but their opinions always change. ;)

Absolutely. This time last year, I'd've told anyone who'd listen about the 'evils of Islam', but how my tune has changed now :lol:

I think I admitted here I'm suggestible too, so I can relate!

Hee hee, I too once thought I'd never get a PAM.

Whoopsie :D

Oh, I'm sorry about that...you see my current avatar? That's my cousin at the time in Afghanistan. He got a tattoo to cover a (small) battlewound. He and I always swore never to get one.

But if I had a disfigurement? Who knows. Wouldn't be Seal though. :)

That's okay, it's a scar that I've always had, or rather, that I've had as long as I can remember. I had an aortic coarctation performed when I was 18 months old, so have a 'J' shaped scar running from the middle of my left ribcage beneath my arm, up and around the shape of my left shoulderblade. As scars go, it's aesthetically pleasing, ie flat, evenly jointed, not 'dotted', but, I've always been self-conscious about it, so I wanted something to distract from it :)

Very nice!

Do you ever watch Miami Ink (correction, hehe)? It's actually in Miami Beach, obviously, but I pass by that place all the time. Wait, let me upload a photo later!

One time, I had to go in and translate for an (ollllld) German woman, who wanted to get a tattoo. Thank God she had drawing skills, else I would've made a pig's breakfast of her description. :lol:

I do indeed :) Excellent programme :) I have to admit, I think Chris Garver and Chris Nunes are more talented artists than Ami James, but it's always interesting to watch, and, I think, actually tempting Emily's mum to have a tattoo done :lol:

Skinny Emo! LOLOL...well, I'll say this. If you're under 30, you get a pass from me. The girl who went through an all-black pseudo-French intellectual goth phase can't cast stones at anyone.

But after 30, it becomes dodgy.

Maybe the skinny Emo was too young? ;)

Skinny Emo was the best description I could come up with :D It wasn't their age that was the problem, as I think they were about my age, the thing that was ludicrous, was that he was wearing a T-Shirt, when the weather dictated a jacket and sweater for comfort as it really was very cold, and it was just so obvious that he was only wearing the T-Shirt to show off his sleeve. Another time, I saw a BMXer who had a design on their forearm. One sleeve of their hoodie was rolled up, the other was down :lol: Subtlety, folks, is the name of the game :lol:

I thank you enormously for that. :)

I'm fairly certain I won't take you up on your gracious offer, but I'd like to think there is someone out there I could turn to, for artistic inspiration!

No problem at all, it's an open offer, and, if you should know anyone else that might need something custom drawn, by all means let me know, just please, don't let them go into Miami Ink, as I can't stand how, on the show, if someone goes in with reference material, they're all "That's not so good, let's do something else..." Golden Rule of tattooing... Do what the client wants (even if it's garbage) as they're the one who has to wear the ink, not the artist... Constructive criticism and suggestion on a design is one thing, but what I've seen them do on the show (which I know is heavily edited for TV excitement) would make me leave a tattoo studio in a matter of minutes :lol:

Greatest turnoff re Tattoos................ones that remind you of a child's stamp collection.

If youre gonna do it, DO IT. Plan the eventual work then do it (even if it needs years of work).

Dont fall for the tacky 'I'll try a little heart here' & if it doesnt hurt/ if I like the idea I'll go & add that cute Dragon (# 487 on the wall display). etc etc. Till youve got the 'stamp collection'.

But if you want to take it to a whole new dimension..........search 'SAK YANT'

TeeJay here is some of my magazines and books from Japan its just a small part of my collection.

img0130gm0.jpg

The tatto design books are a treasue if you like tattos buy them :)

Cheers,

Dani

That's a fantastic collection, and definitely awesome reference material, thanks for sharing it :) I've recently seen a Koi Carp Calender, which I'm tempted to buy as reference material, as it not only shows the fish, but loads of different color variations :)

Greatest turnoff re Tattoos................ones that remind you of a child's stamp collection.

If youre gonna do it, DO IT. Plan the eventual work then do it (even if it needs years of work).

Dont fall for the tacky 'I'll try a little heart here' & if it doesnt hurt/ if I like the idea I'll go & add that cute Dragon (# 487 on the wall display). etc etc. Till youve got the 'stamp collection'.

That is so true. Nothing worse than differing styles of tattoos clamouring for attention on the body. As beautiful as Angelina Jolie is, her tattoos are a shining example of the 'stamp collection'. The individual pieces, fine (especially the Yak Sant on her shoulder) but they just don't look so great viewed as a whole...

Even when I've expanded (or planned to expand) my existing design, I've always been carefull to either keep a similar appearance, or just repeat entire shape groups entirely (as was done with the expansion work on my biceps)

But if you want to take it to a whole new dimension..........search 'SAK YANT'

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd seen the style before (Angelina's shoulder tattoo) but never knew the name :)

You folks are braver than I. I have a tough enough time deciding what I want for breakfast never mind how I would decorate my body for the rest of my life. Tattoos give new meaning to the term - "Wear it well" :lol:

Teejay - Very nice looking design. :)

Thanks :) To be honest, the basic design was one I'd worked on, on and off, altering bits here and there, for about a year, so when it came to get it done, I knew I was totally happy with it. After that, I started going more on impulse, and trusting my instincts (the extension work on my arms and glyphs on my wrist (I have another on my right wrist which I haven't photographed yet :lol: ) ) but, because I didn't stray from the 'existing theme', never had a reason to dislike the design or regret the decision :)

I got this yant done a few years back... never a problem... and yes... a leap of faith ;)

img1238vz5.jpg

Fantastic :) Do you have any pics of it fully healed? Out of curiousity, how did you find the sensation of having it done, compared to your other tattoos (which I assume were done by machine)?

Yants are a whole different ball game than the gun !!!@ swdivad I'll give yours a test when I get to see you....you are imune to machete swipes now yes? :D
I bet :lol: I'd also be interested to see how it compares to the sensation of traditional Maori tattooing (where the word tattoo is derived) and the sensation of traditional Japanese tattoos (aka irezumi - inserted ink) which, from the pictures, appears a similar process to the Yants. B)

[Edit for double post]

Edited by TeeJay

The sensation I surmise is very similar in all these types of manual applications...f**kin painfull !!

But the Yant is in a league apart because of its animist/religious/magical properties.

The machete comment was germaine as after applying the yant and all the incantations and potion applications a yant master will often then use a dagger to 'cut' the recipient to 'prove' the power...the skin will not break or bleed but deep red welts remain for days were the knife passed.

There are also incantations to learn to empower the Yant and various rules of conduct to follow too. As I said a different league altogether.

Fantastic :) Do you have any pics of it fully healed? Out of curiousity, how did you find the sensation of having it done, compared to your other tattoos (which I assume were done by machine)?

Actually, I have a bit of a pictorial.... Sorry TTK ;) Just try to grin and bear it.,.. we aren't ALL criminals and paupers ;)

The pain was bearable (obviously), although definitely much different from the even feeling pressure of a gun. After a while, the pain turns to numb. This has healed perfectly, and 3 years later, the lines are still extremely sharp.

This yant was created by a monk in Northern Thailand, Chiang Rai district, for me alone... They are written in ancient Khmer script and the language used is Pali.

The artist is a great guy from Chiang Rai City.... the work I've seen from him is amazing!

It was created to protect me from all sorts of bad things... and to give me good luck in all sorts of good things... so far so good...

Yants are a whole different ball game than the gun !!!

@ swdivad I'll give yours a test when I get to see you....you are imune to machete swipes now yes?

:D

Yes... we must meet next time... sorry I missed you this time Narikaa :(

Here's starting out, with the stencil transfered from the original

img1221pf2.jpg

First impressions... ouch ouch ouch

img1224nv4.jpg

img1227wq5.jpg

Working his way up:

img1229dr8.jpg

Time for a break ^_^

img1232ig4.jpg

And back to work

img1233dy5.jpg

This is probably about two hours into the session

img1234wr2.jpg

Last leg....

img1237ww0.jpg

img1238gi6.jpg

img1241rw6.jpg

And the final result.... Total time was about 4.5 hours...

img1242ps3.jpg

img1244gd5.jpg