When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Project 5218/201a

Finepics

Well it's a bit of a last minute throw together!! I bought the dial from Davidsen then had to reduce the diameter by 1mm to fit the case. Then I filled the markers (these dials are a sort of sandwich dial) with a customised super lume. Then I had laquered the dial using various substances until I found a decent enough satin varnish that gave a smooth enough finish. The dial is not perfect so I might do another one as the laquering experiment left some uneveness on it. The CG is a prototype that Davidsen sent me which just happened to have the correct side profile although the radius of it is still not big enough. One problem with it was that the screws that Davidsen uses are smaller and so are the corresponding holes, which also do not line up with the case holes. So some drilling and bodging was necessary to get it to fit. The crown was also a Davidsen prototype and is a prung crown - but very wobbly so had to make that a solid one. Also the stem was too thick and also the thickness of the dial meant that it did not line up with the movt!!! so again a lot of drilling of the stem tube (lost my water resistance now) got it to fit eventually!!

Not a very straightforward job and despite the faults I really love this watch and wear it more than most. If I ever buy a gen then this (or any of the Pre-A's) are top of my list.

FP,

Your work paid off...absolutely wonderful! The "sausage" numerals on the Pre - Vendôme's are the real beauty in the dial design! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Here's a great reference for you!

Cheer's,

Brad

Pre Reference

Thanks for that Brad - Have had that bookmarked for a long time actually!! Nice thing about Davidsens dial is the correct font for the Luminor Panerai (if only it was bolder white) and the 2 in the 12 is also the correct shape. Just a real shame that they are too big as they come and too thick. I am working on a better version of this dial but it will be some time yet before it comes to reality!

Great watch, I really enjoy hearing the stories about the unexpected things that come up when putting a watch like this together. They can be annoying at the time but end up making the watch more interesting and more personal when you wear it. I have a davidsen case arriving soon and will be doing something similar. I might try using satin varnish on the dial and even filling in with the lum. Did you just paint the varnish on the dial using a small paint brush?

• 1 month later...
@finepics

how did you got this nice thick crown guard for this pam? i was searching around the board but i was not able to find such one. :(

best wishes

olreon

Well it's not perfect but the side profile was spot on. It was an early protoype that Davidsen sent to me for evaluation. I had to grind out the screw holes to get it to fit as his holes are smaller than normal. Not perfect but does the job!!!

How is the dial project going Mark?

Very bloody slowly. Really hard to find an engraver for what I'm doing - still the search continues.

V - got myself a nice little piece of that Metta leather on it's way over to Aaron right now, can't wait!!