When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

-Norway, too good to be true -Michael Moore-

Everythingape

A clip filmed for Moore's "Sicko", not included in the actual film, but added to the Extras DVD.

Of course, these are cherry picked moments from what they taped, but still.. He makes Norway look like a mighty attractive place.

I love the prison warden that goes something like: "This man was convicted for cutting two people up with a chainsaw.....his last period here he was working in the forest.. ..with a chainsaw.." and smiles.. He knows how absurd it sounds.

Of course you're gonna share with yer old buddy Nanuq right??

:Jumpy:

Sure! :rolleyes:

But seriously, even thought it`s nice to get the goods brought over from Norway every now and then they do sell it here in Nevada too. Possibly not in Alaska? Shoot me a PM if you can`t get it up there and perhaps we can arrange something.

I don't think you're supposed to take Michael Moore too seriously..

Psst, I agreed with almost everything you said, Apey. I am happy that there are countries like Norway* and the USA, with their different ways and solutions.

But anyone who has an Oscar for his "documentary"; is considered a shoo-in for another for "Sicko" next year, and had a fawning Palme D'Or awarded him, IS taken seriously by the filmmaking establishment, and intellectual elites.

*I've been to Norway, and it's lovely -- like a combination of Scotland and Switzerland, majestic and scary all at once. Here's a quick fact for you, which most Norwegians know, but few Americans do.

Which country gave PROPORTIONALLY more immigrants to the USA than any other country?

Nope, not Ireland. Not Italy. It's not the Jews from Russia, either. The correct answer is Norway. :)

(Ireland having given the largest percentage of their people to the US)

But anyone who has an Oscar for his "documentary"; is considered a shoo-in for another for "Sicko" next year, and had a fawning Palme D'Or awarded him, IS taken seriously by the filmmaking establishment, and intellectual elites.

Oh, I didn't mean you shouldn't take his films, their topics or their desired effect seriously, but the man as a narrator and social commentator purposely lays it on pretty thick, and I think most people see through that and subsequently think for themselves. ..perhaps a bit coloured from what they just saw.

And by "too seriously" was referring more to the people wanting him dead than what Dani said. :)

Which country gave PROPORTIONALLY more immigrants to the USA than any other country?

Nope, not Ireland. Not Italy. It's not the Jews from Russia, either. The correct answer is Norway.

Yeah.. And I love how you make it sound like it was a gift.. ;)

..let me take the opportunity to showcase one of the better traditional norwegian dishes.. Very popular before christmas!

Smalahove! Served with potatoes and rutabaga stew.

..I have no doubt Nanuq eats this once a week, and packs cold seconds for his mountainbike excursions. ;)

smalahoveserved1jn8.jpg

And after a while if you can stomach it:

smalahovejusteatenac1.jpg

I don't think you're supposed to take Michael Moore too seriously.. He is obviously trying to prove a point, and his style of filmmaking isn't supposed to show both sides of the story, but rather spark a debate or provoke reactions from 'the other side'. (seems it works)

Norway is far from Utopia, but little anecdotal success stories like Bast

Sure if you make 250-300k NOK here you will have it ok,but if you dont its not that easy to get around stuff.

It cost for a apartment where i have grown up over 250k$ and that is like SMALL one rom apartment,250k NOK is little over 50k$...

Hey! This isn't a bash Norway thread, but a yucky food thread. Stick with the programme. :p

P.S.: Seriously, living in Norway is paradisical for many reasons. There is a reason that immigrants swamped Sweden 30 years ago, and threaten to do so with Norway today. You guys have it great, as do other countries, to be sure. But your country is long, and manageable at only 4 million people. That you have a good quality of life is more about your national cultural traditions, than taxes. No matter how much you tax certain people, they will never have the quality of life you do in Norway. Just look at Minnesota and compare it to West Virginia and you will see the difference.

P.P.S.: What dog did you have, Dani? Pit Bull, I'm guessing. Not a favourite of mine, but if they banned pit bulls in the US, you'd have a riot. BTW, sorry for your loss.

It cost for a apartment where i have grown up over 250k$ and that is like SMALL one rom apartment,250k NOK is little over 50k$...

Not to forget all the overprotecting laws we have,like we cant thake resposibility for our own decisions in life.

Tax on cars makes people die beacuse of unsafe cars.

And not to forget we have Mulla Krekar :lol:

Cheers,

Dani

No offense, Dani, but you grew up in one of the most, -if not THE most affluent part of the country.. It's geographically a small part of norway, and quite an aside from the norm. :)

That's why I said what I did about choices. I know people feel close to their communities, but I know that if I couldn't afford living in certain areas in and around our capital, I'd have no trouble driving 30 minutes north or south and get twice or three times the housing for the same money.

This is an expensive country, but I do not fool myself thinking things would be better if we paid less taxes or had less government control. I feel the government acts in norway's best interest, and generally wish the country well. (it doesn't always work).

I totally agree with you about the Krekar case, and think the impotence showed in his case is frustrating, it should have been settled a long time ago by sending him to his native Saudi Arabia, or even better; to the US when they wanted him.

I also see why we can't go at odds with ourselves, our laws and our earlier statements in this case by sending him to Iraq, a country where he'll most likely be sentenced to death. (no matter how much he might deserve it) Simply put because we've condemned that practice as a nation, and would be contributing to it if we did.

It's a shitty truth, but in a way I am happy we're trying to be consistent.

Supporting our laws and standing behind a fair and righteous government is as patriotic as anything you can do with a gun in your hand.

I'm sorry about your dog, Dani. (If you need a new one, a poodle eats less and loves you just as much) ;)

-Ape-

No offense, Dani, but you grew up in one of the most, -if not THE most affluent part of the country.. It's geographically a small part of norway, and quite an aside from the norm. :)

I'm guessing that's Oslo, or in the rich suburbs around it. :)

For the record, the single-most expensive Coca-Cola I have ever had, was in a restaurant in Oslo: at the then rate of exchange, U$15.

Might be $25 by now. :lol:

OTOH, Oslo was a delight.

Extra clean country filled with happy-go-lucky, democratic people like all Norwegians are, safe, and with pockets of elegance (not as elegant as Stockholm, with respect) all around the capital.

I confess, I preferred Bergen and I loved Trondheim, but Oslo is the kind of city one could easily live in without culture shock.

P.S.: The Inferno Metal Festival was cool. I see they are adding a 4th day for 2008.

I'm guessing that's Oslo, or in the rich suburbs around it. :)

For the record, the single-most expensive Coca-Cola I have ever had, was in a restaurant in Oslo: at the then rate of exchange, U$15.

Might be $25 by now. :lol:

OTOH, Oslo was a delight.

Extra clean country filled with happy-go-lucky, democratic people like all Norwegians are, safe, and with pockets of elegance (not as elegant as Stockholm, with respect) all around the capital.

I confess, I preferred Bergen and I loved Trondheim, but Oslo is the kind of city one could easily live in without culture shock.

P.S.: The Inferno Metal Festival was cool. I see they are adding a 4th day for 2008.

Yeah, the rich suburbs west of Oslo, not far between the stylish homes and pools. :) *envy*

That's an expensive coke even for norway, I hope it came with Bacardi and a twist of lime!

I agree about Stockholm being the more beautiful city, Norway lacks history in terms of urban architecture and construction. In Bergen the old elegance is more concentrated and visible, and it is also my preferred city, having lived there for a while. ..the incessant rain speaks to its disadvantage though.

If you haven't already, and ever find your way north, you should travel around Lofoten. Our friend docblackrock has people up there, and I'm sure he'll vouch for it. In summer, for serenity and quiet natural beauty, you'd be hard pressed to find a better spot in Europe. :)

-Ape-

Hey! This isn't a bash Norway thread, but a yucky food thread. Stick with the programme. :p

P.S.: Seriously, living in Norway is paradisical for many reasons. There is a reason that immigrants swamped Sweden 30 years ago, and threaten to do so with Norway today. You guys have it great, as do other countries, to be sure. But your country is long, and manageable at only 4 million people. That you have a good quality of life is more about your national cultural traditions, than taxes. No matter how much you tax certain people, they will never have the quality of life you do in Norway. Just look at Minnesota and compare it to West Virginia and you will see the difference.

P.P.S.: What dog did you have, Dani? Pit Bull, I'm guessing. Not a favourite of mine, but if they banned pit bulls in the US, you'd have a riot. BTW, sorry for your loss.

Yes i woud not whant to live anywhere else then Norway,but i em not the kind of person that lets people step on me even if ts the gov,i think we shoud have rights to atlest decied over our own life as long as this descions dont hurt other people.

My dog is the American Staffordshire Terrier in the US its mostly now'n as the show style pitbull terrier it was banned in 2004,pitbull terries togehter whit some other breeds have been banned since 1991 all cause of one stupid political partie called SV..It was my hope to get innvolved on the breeding ascpekt but after using 4 years time on this breed to understand its genetics and such they banned it....And Pitbulls are banned many places in the US and over 3million pitbulls get put down in the US every year.

The Chinese are masters of yucky food

chinesefood1ri0.jpg Bon apetit.

Yeah, the rich suburbs west of Oslo, not far between the stylish homes and pools. :) *envy*

Oh yes, I remember something like that...

That's an expensive coke even for norway, I hope it came with Bacardi and a twist of lime!

Nothing! But! Coke! :p

Oh, and though I'm not a drinker, I like to have a cognac just before a concert or play, etc. I almost keeled over when I ordered Hennessy XO at our hotel bar. Non-acquavit spirits are really expensive in Scandinavia...

I agree about Stockholm being the more beautiful city, Norway lacks history in terms of urban architecture and construction. In Bergen the old elegance is more concentrated and visible, and it is also my preferred city, having lived there for a while. ..the incessant rain speaks to its disadvantage though.

Ahh, I didn't realise about the rain. As a Brit, I am always a little astonished when I go a full day without rain, down here. It seems WRONG somehow.

But yes, Bergen has culture, and its people are more suave. You see far less women there, wearing little white socks and sandals. :o:lol:

If you haven't already, and ever find your way north, you should travel around Lofoten. Our friend docblackrock has people up there, and I'm sure he'll vouch for it. In summer, for serenity and quiet natural beauty, you'd be hard pressed to find a better spot in Europe. :)

Excellent, thank you so much, Ape! I am always seeking out of the way travel tips.

It's not the same thing!

Pickled herring (inlagd sill in Swedish), is a traditional method of preserving the food.

You mix sugar, vinegar, salt, spices and water. Then you add the fish.

Damn tasty if you ask me!

I know the forums' Latins (the Italians, French, Belgians, Spaniards, etc.) just read that, and went ugh. If it doesn't have garlic, it's not food. :p

Fortunately, this sounded very tasty to me!