When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ahhhh, what happens if you chrono reset while crono is still running !?!?!?

KnifeEdge

help, ive got a rep of a tag link chrono with the a7750 (28,800bph) movment and my friend told me he was playing with my watch and pressed the chrono reset button without first pausing the chrono. i heard that you should never do this (i dont know why) and as far as i can tell the chrono still works.

what should i do !?!?

Movements are user proof...meaning that nothing at all happens if you press the reset while it's running.

They design movements to last and be user friendly.

RG

so why do i hear recommendations of never pressing chrono reset without first pausing it ...

i didnt see what happened and i dont want to try it myself to test it.

this is an asia 7750 too so i dont know if this has any effect

You hear recommendations from people who don't know what they are talking about.RG
phew, if The Zigmeister says its ok then im satisfiedwhat thoughts do you have on what i should do next.should i take both of them to get them serviced (i dont even know what this means) or just wait till something goes wrong before doing somethingp.s. where bouts canada are you from exactly

what places would you recommend in the GTA region to do service work ?? (assuming you're from teh GTA region)

Edited by KnifeEdge

Ahhhh, what happens if you chrono reset while crono is still running !?!?!?

Nothing happens to the watch. Just the whole universe might overturn inside out like a sock.

I can understand your concern. We where always warned to never set the date on a Chrono between 8 and 2 o'clock. If you did you could ruin the movement. This does not quit add up to Chrono's being user friendly in my books. Either the later warning was a fairytale or Chrono's do need to be operated with knowledge and are not as user friendly as proclaimed.

I can understand your concern. We where always warned to never set the date on a Chrono between 8 and 2 o'clock. If you did you could ruin the movement. This does not quit add up to Chrono's being user friendly in my books. Either the later warning was a fairytale or Chrono's do need to be operated with knowledge and are not as user friendly as proclaimed.

Yes it is true that you can't change the date or time on a 7750 between 8-2, but that is not limited to only this model, that rule applies to any movement that does a slow date change.

If you follow the golden rule of watches, never EVER force anything, then if you tried to set the date between 8-2, you would feel resistance, and following the golden rule, you would not damage the watch because you would stop trying to change the date once you felt resistance.

The problem is that people force things, if it doesn't work, turn it harder...grunt...

I see many 7750's in for service with stripped winding transfer gears, stripped meaning that the teeth are all ground off of the gear, it's smooth as a baby's bum. Now, if they followed the golden rule, this could not happen. But no, they decide to keep winding, eventhough there is a lot of resistance.

This rule also applies to watch work, never force anything, and you can also add this rule to watchmaking, there are no short cuts - none.

Follow these, and you won't break anything from mishandling.

I covered in detail in the RWiki section how to use and handle all types of movements, the info is there for the reading.

RG

Yes it is true that you can't change the date or time on a 7750 between 8-2, but that is not limited to only this model, that rule applies to any movement that does a slow date change.

If you follow the golden rule of watches, never EVER force anything, then if you tried to set the date between 8-2, you would feel resistance, and following the golden rule, you would not damage the watch because you would stop trying to change the date once you felt resistance.

The problem is that people force things, if it doesn't work, turn it harder...grunt...

I see many 7750's in for service with stripped winding transfer gears, stripped meaning that the teeth are all ground off of the gear, it's smooth as a baby's bum. Now, if they followed the golden rule, this could not happen. But no, they decide to keep winding, eventhough there is a lot of resistance.

This rule also applies to watch work, never force anything, and you can also add this rule to watchmaking, there are no short cuts - none.

I covered in detail in the RWiki section how to use and handle all types of movements, the info is there for the reading.

RG

one more stupid question

i dont know if i force changed the date when i first got the watch, or if i overwound it either ... would a watch smith be able to tell if my movement is trashed ??

do you have any recommendations for shops around the GTA ??

one more stupid question

i dont know if i force changed the date when i first got the watch, or if i overwound it either ... would a watch smith be able to tell if my movement is trashed ??

do you have any recommendations for shops around the GTA ??

As long as the date change behaves normal, that is the date starts to change at about 11, and is fully changed sometimes around 12.30, I would say that it is not trashed.

Be careful if you wind the movement manually, do it very slowly. But if your watch behave normal, there is no urgent need to take it to a watch smith.

In case you have not read it, The Zigmeisters excellent guide in the RWiki section is HERE! :)

It is all a bit like tring to put you car in revers when moving forward, pretty hard to do but if you force it hard enought the smell of burning metal will be quite strong, on the car that is not the watch. just follow the guide lines and you will be happy,

1 You CAN handwind a 7750.

2 DO NOT change the date between 8pm and 2am.

3 STOP the chrono before reseting

4 Dont Put small children in a tumble drier.

5 Dont put your car in reverse gear when traveling forward.

It is all a bit like tring to put you car in revers when moving forward, pretty hard to do but if you force it hard enought the smell of burning metal will be quite strong, on the car that is not the watch. just follow the guide lines and you will be happy,

1 You CAN handwind a 7750.

2 DO NOT change the date between 8pm and 2am.

3 STOP the chrono before reseting

4 Dont Put small children in a tumble drier.

5 Dont put your car in reverse gear when traveling forward.

how do you know you've wound it enough ??

hmm im getting scared now, definetly gonna take it to a watch smith when i get back to toronto

how do you know you've wound it enough ??

hmm im getting scared now, definetly gonna take it to a watch smith when i get back to toronto

Chill down... B) The Asian 7750 has automatic winding, so during normal wear it is not necessarry to hand wind it. After a day (8-10 hours) on the wrist it should have enough power to last at least 24 hours on its own.

If you want to manually wind it. With crown in winding position: Carefully turn the crown with your thumb and index-finger clockwise about 20 "turns" (from totally unwound). If you feel any big increase in resistance, stop immediately. You cannot overwind a movement during normal wrist-wear.

Hope this answers your question. :)

And.. You should upgrade to "Supporter" membership, to get access to all of The Zigmeisterzumbas excellent articles!

RG

Thanks for the clarification, additional information and tips The Zigmeister :)

• 4 weeks later...

Of course you should never force anything.

Someone i sold a PAM253 with new asian 7750 to, tought it was a real working flyback. With a flyback function you can reset during running chronograph.

How wrong was he... he did not see any action after tryint to reset it. So he pushed a bit more and after that some more. The reset button gave way and the reset mechanism inside the movement became stuck behind the start/stop mechanism. Result: the chrono kept on running and could not be stopped anymore...

Solution: Watch smith. who was not surprised at all... many people do not know how to operate a mechanical watch. So just simply the statement "to never force anything" in practice might not be enough.

I would still say to never (trying to) reset the chrono while it's running on a 7750.

Ciao!