When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do people prefer a rep. over a preowned gen?

supermoves

I was thinking specifically about Omegas, but there are several other brands as well, where you can get a preowned for $1000 or less. Why spend $200-$300 on a rep, when you could save up a little and get a preowned?

Just curious..

Im not saying dont by a rep (In fact, I just bought one), but why buy a rep of the cheaper watches?

I was thinking specifically about Omegas, but there are several other brands as well, where you can get a preowned for $1000 or less. Why spend $200-$300 on a rep, when you could save up a little and get a preowned?

Just curious..

Im not saying dont by a rep (In fact, I just bought one), but why buy a rep of the cheaper watches?

Good question.

Psychologically, a rep is still "new" (it may well not be, and have overhauled movements, etc.). When there is such a little difference in price, I would go for a gen -- but often with the MARQUES of watches we like, one can't find it that cheaply.

I'm thinking of Rolexes, Panerai, Audemars Piguet, that ilk of $$ watch.

With Omegas, Tags, and Cartiers, it's all a question of what you can find, really. Recently a member paid $500 for a gen vintage Cartier Tank Classique for his wife. Lizard band and everything.

That beats my $108 Andrew Classique by a lot, and though I have 2 gen Classiques, I still bought mine because I'd like to wear it for peace of mind and to see how it compares, too. :)

So some reasons:

1- Curiosity

2- Still wanting to get a cheaper but "same" watch

3- Being able to buy more reps with the money saved

4- Getting something brand-new

5- Peace of mind that's it's not a gen (in crime areas like cities)

6-A replacement for your gen in general (to give yours a break, etc)

7- You're just plain into rep watches and don't care about gens :)

Any other reasons people can think of?

@Supermoves below (LOL, another double entendre): The member got it on FleeceBay. If you're patient, those kinds of watches do turn up CHEAP.

So some reasons:

1- Curiosity

2- Still wanting to get a cheaper but "same" watch

3- Being able to buy more reps with the money saved

4- Getting something brand-new

5- Peace of mind that's it's not a gen (in crime areas like cities)

6-A replacement for your gen in general (to give yours a break, etc)

7- You're just plain into rep watches and don't care about gens :)

Any other reasons people can think of?

I really can't think of any reasons for going for a rep over a gen, except it being out of price range, or a model your really not crazy about and just want to check out. Reps are never totally satisfying, even after spending hundreds of dollars to make them look 98% like the genuine, at the end of the day it's still a rep. Then there are QC issues, mechanical issues, there's no guarentee your rep that's new today will still be running a few month's down the road. I recently liquidated all my reps and decided to go all gen for a while, and purchased a Panerai, and I can honestly say having owned some pretty heavily modded Pams and comparing side by side, there is no comparison in the fit and finish and just the "feel" of a gen. And when you truly love a certain brand nothing compares to having the real deal.

I really can't think of any reasons for going for a rep over a gen, except it being out of price range, or a model your really not crazy about and just want to check out. Reps are never totally satisfying, even after spending hundreds of dollars to make them look 98% like the genuine, at the end of the day it's still a rep. Then there are QC issues, mechanical issues, there's no guarentee your rep that's new today will still be running a few month's down the road. I recently liquidated all my reps and decided to go all gen for a while, and purchased a Panerai, and I can honestly say having owned some pretty heavily modded Pams and comparing side by side, there is no comparison in the fit and finish and just the "feel" of a gen. And when you truly love a certain brand nothing compares to having the real deal.

Well, to be sure, although don't expect to be very popular in a rep watch forum with this opinion. ;)

I have loads of gens, and honestly, for the lady Cartiers and Rolexes, the comparison is not bad. Maybe the bigger Subs and SDs have more tells, or my eye is as yet unexperienced, so who knows.

I'll let you know if I change my mind, when I buy a gen PAM this summer, God willing. I don't intend on liquidating my reps. I'll keep them, happily.

If you can afford to buy the gen, buy the gen. No rep can match the fit and finish of most gens. But if you cannot afford the gen's price tag, then buy a good rep. Many members also buy a rep as a way of test-driving a particular model before taking the plunge on the gen.

+1

Well, to be sure, although don't expect to be very popular in a rep watch forum with this opinion. ;)

Oh no I didn't know this was a popularity contest, woe is me. I think bottom line is if you have the resources to buy the gen it's a no brainer, and I think quite a few would agree (even members with a ton of reps) that the watches they get the most satisfaction out of are the gens they own. Your mileage may vary.

I think i could afford a couple of gens, if id did not have 20 odd reps here and there i could have bought a gen for a couple of grand or a couple of pre owned but only that, This is my retail therapy, i like to shop and eventualy buy, wait check the mail, wait a bit more and eventualy unwrap. The after a few months it starts all over, if i was buying gens that might be every 3 years, and as i said i like to shop.

For me Rep

even more so with the quality you can get with the right rep watch these days.

I think i could afford a couple of gens, if id did not have 20 odd reps here and there i could have bought a gen for a couple of grand or a couple of pre owned but only that, This is my retail therapy, i like to shop and eventualy buy, wait check the mail, wait a bit more and eventualy unwrap. The after a few months it starts all over, if i was buying gens that might be every 3 years, and as i said i like to shop.

For me Rep

even more so with the quality you can get with the right rep watch these days.

Of course it depends on the gen and it depends on the rep...but generally i'ld go with the gen if i could.

Would I prefer a rep. over a preowned gen?

YES & NO

I would prefer a decent quality accurate rep with a good Swiss movement to a mediocre gen - in other words I would prefer a rep ETA Superocean Steelfish to a similarly styled Citizen, Pulsar or comparable watch at the same cost. Absolutely no contest there, and anyone with enough interest to be reading this forum must surely share similar views.

However when it comes to considering gens or reps of the same watch the lines become blurred. I have some great fully modded rep Panerais as well as gen Pannies but I would be very picky about which reps would satify me. Reps must be as accurate as possible and therefore only closed caseback models interest me there. A properly modded rep PAM is so close to the gen and at much less cost, so price is a big motivator here and is a reasonable justification for pursuing projects based on preV, preA and A / B series watches, providing they use the original movements (ETA 6497 / 2892A2 / 2893 etc).

Genuine sandwich dial models are current, more plentiful and less desirable amongst the 'Risti and should be even less desirable as reps because the display backs put the inaccurate Asian modifed or 100% Asian movements on show. I wouldn't have any interest in a rep 111H for example but then I have little interest in the post D series handwinds anyhow - I have a gen 116F but it is the Tobacco dialled Base which wasn't available in an earlier version and there is no decent rep of this watch.

IWC is fairly clear-cut for me. I have a GST Ti modded with a gen dial and Swiss 7750, a 3717 with Swiss 7750 and an Ingy with Lello datewheel and AR. These are excellent quality replicas and cost pennies in comparison to the gens so no problem there. However Omegas are a different matter altogether - I bought a brand new, unworn gen Speedy (warranty card stamped less than 1 month previosly) at 54% of its retail price on Ebay and a similarly unworn, full-size, black, auto SMP at exactly half price, face-to-face from a local seller through a gen forum. The Speedy rep was always inaccurate and the current offering is worse while the rep SMP is variable in accuracy and quality. To answer the question I would prefer gen Omegas to reps because if you buy carefully, this way the cost difference is not too great when you factor in the price of modding the rep, replacing crowns & tubes or whatever. Also buying the gen in new condition at half price is a reasonable investment that can be cashed if needed.

The answer??

I would prefer genuine Omegas / TAGs etc on the secondary market, if bought wisely, and would prefer to have sensibly modded reps of specific Panerai or IWC because of both, the cost involved, and the satisfaction that can be derived from creating a really good quality replica of a very desirable costly and fairly rare watch. Compare this: When did you last see anyone wearing a genuine IWC GST / Ingenieur or early model Panerai.......compared to sightings of genuine Omegas or TAGs.

I have been thinking this through as I typed it but this will probably result in me off-loading a bunch of both reps and gens....Rep black SMP, black TAG Link chrono, Fiddy, 005, 112, Panny Sub etc etc etc Gen Fortis Flieger and many others. Then I should have some spending power and start at the top of this post again.

Edited by PAMman

Just curious..

At two to three hundred each means three to five reps with out breaching the $1000 ceiling. If one breaks throw it away and get a new one. OR have just one used Omega. For me having multiple choices to wear every day is preferable over having just one to wear. JMO