When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Silver datedisc 1570 rip off?

kingkitesurf

Does anyone know who this guy is trying to sell datediscs for a sh$tload of money..

Can we join forces and produce these... I have a gen (champagne) version available for exact copy... Then we put them in the market for $40. Thats where he sold them for last year...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Silver-Date-Disk-f-Rol...1QQcmdZViewItem

That isn't a bad price. I've seen some sell for $300.

I have a gen in bright silver and in bright champagne. I've created a vector for each number from scanning the genuine discs. All I have left is to complete layout off the numbers so the progression is the same as ETA. Once I am done that, I just have to print test discs to ensure the numbers are perfectly aligned.

I also have some blank discs for printing. I had a few made for testings and print samples. The samples I have are from .003" stainless steel. or 0.07mm thick. Perfect thickness for making overlay. Perfect for gluing with less chance of damage.

My only roadblock is the finish on the blanks. My goal is to match the beautiful radiant brushed finish of the genuine disc. Very very hard to do! I have about three done now in vary degrees of quality and they have to be done by hand right now. I hope to figure out an option soon. If not, they will all have to be done by hand and it is time consuming, therefore making them expensive.

I have to drop off a few blanks to my printer for test printing once my file is complete. Depending on what interest there is, and cost involved, I'll see how many bright brushed silver I'll make. Maybe I'll have some printed in silver painted blanks, and white blanks as well. Offer different options for those that my not want the polished disc.

Cost is still being worked out, but I'm sure that printing on white background will be less than $40. The brushed finish will be a lot more due to the labour involved in each disc. I was waiting to post this info as I didnt' want to get people too excited if it can't be pulled off in a cost effective manner. But hey, I've gone this far already, I might as well see who's interested.

I have a gen in bright silver and in bright champagne. I've created a vector for each number from scanning the genuine discs. All I have left is to complete layout off the numbers so the progression is the same as ETA. Once I am done that, I just have to print test discs to ensure the numbers are perfectly aligned.

I also have some blank discs for printing. I had a few made for testings and print samples. The samples I have are from .003" stainless steel. or 0.07mm thick. Perfect thickness for making overlay. Perfect for gluing with less chance of damage.

My only roadblock is the finish on the blanks. My goal is to match the beautiful radiant brushed finish of the genuine disc. Very very hard to do! I have about three done now in vary degrees of quality and they have to be done by hand right now. I hope to figure out an option soon. If not, they will all have to be done by hand and it is time consuming, therefore making them expensive.

I have to drop off a few blanks to my printer for test printing once my file is complete. Depending on what interest there is, and cost involved, I'll see how many bright brushed silver I'll make. Maybe I'll have some printed in silver painted blanks, and white blanks as well. Offer different options for those that my not want the polished disc.

Cost is still being worked out, but I'm sure that printing on white background will be less than $40. The brushed finish will be a lot more due to the labour involved in each disc. I was waiting to post this info as I didnt' want to get people too excited if it can't be pulled off in a cost effective manner. But hey, I've gone this far already, I might as well see who's interested.

Start a thread for this Stilty. I am sure that a ton of people would be interested.

You mean something like this? The problem, IMO, is that stainless doesn't look right, even brushed, and aluminum is fairly soft and hard to glue w/o damaging. That, and printing after brushing is a different ballgame. I've made a couple of these for my own use but can't see a profit selling them, considering how hard they are to make. I'd love to buy one of yours, though, since making them is enough to drive me even crazier- than I already am!!

OEM on left, overlay on right.

On edit: I own a cutting machine that can cut to within .03mm tolerances (the overlay pictured below was done by hand) and would be happty to cut some overlays if anyone can get the brushing right.

post-53-1197176181_thumb.jpg

You mean something like this? The problem, IMO, is that stainless doesn't look right, even brushed, and aluminum is fairly soft and hard to glue w/o damaging. That, and printing after brushing is a different ballgame. I've made a couple of these for my own use but can't see a profit selling them, considering how hard they are to make. I'd love to buy one of yours, though, since making them is enough to drive me even crazier- than I already am!!

OEM on left, overlay on right.

On edit: I own a cutting machine that can cut to within .03mm tolerances (the overlay pictured below was done by hand) and would be happty to cut some overlays if anyone can get the brushing right.

Hi Arch,

Yours looks great! It is very hard to get the finish correct. It may just be a fantasy to try and make them.