When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A MBW mod dilemma: what would you do?

mezzanine

Hey all-

Right now I've got a MBW 1665 DRSD for sale. The crystal has been modded and is done, and I feel it's priced reasonably considering. It hasn't sold yet...and the longer it sits there, the more of a dilemma I think I'm starting to face. The sale has been precipitated by a situation on another watch forum in which I may be out some serious cash. The plan was to have it modded, and I went about collecting some genuine vintage Rolex parts to try to prepare for the journey.

As a result, I'm selling the watch and the parts. But as I was posting the items for sale, I couldn't help but wonder whether I'm squandering a lot of effort and time in assembling these parts. If I passed over: a genuine insert/pearl, a genuine crown and tube, genuine 580 endlinks, an Ubi datewheel, and provided the necessary spring bars, etc...what would it cost to get the dial aged/lug holes drilled, etc.. if I was to get the watch put together?

I would withdraw the sale of the parts/watch if I could get the watch assembled- but can't afford to spend a lot of cash at this point.

Thanks for any advice-

Mezz, my suggestion would be to keep the 1665 and specially the OEM parts if you can swing it. I can't be sure from your photos, but if that is a genuine T-39 Superdome on your watch, I double my suggestion to keep it.

Have the watch modded when finances allow. You can easily install the gen insert and with the gen Tropic crystal, they are the LARGEST improvements you can make to the MBW. Wear it and enjoy! The other mods will pale in comparison and can easily wait.

BTW, I know how difficult it is to source vintage OEM parts. I have extras but given the PIA they were to find, they aren't going anywhere. :biggrin:

Added:

Modification estimates:

Lug holes & bracelet-$80

OEM crown/tube install: $40

Dial aged correctly by an artist: $120

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, what's funny is that I enjoy the hunt for the parts, but to not really benefit from the process in that tangible way that goes with having them used to upgrade a watch...well, it's sort of an empty feeling considering the patience and difficulty that can be involved.

I wish I could find out about the crystal 100% as well. Maybe I'll post some pics. I'll update the thread momentarily...

Here's a few pics of the crystal, I may end up keeping this- but I'm wrestlin' with it at this point....

DSC00613.jpg

DSC00612.jpg

DSC00614.jpg

Maybe it's a Clark's or some other aftermarket? These vintage Rolex parts are starting to drive me a little insane, I'm not kidding. I was talking with Chieftang about this earlier via PM.

Jetsons and tmg, that's helpful- much appreciated...also would need the crown guards to get worked a bit, and the installation of the insert, which I don't imagine is too difficult. It's crazy the price that these things can run- yikes. That's why I figured I should sell it initially, the cost of actually getting these parts integrated into the watch, and the dial/case mods that are necessary- it might be prohibitive.

Mezz, my suggestion would be to keep the 1665 and specially the OEM parts if you can swing it. I can't be sure from your photos, but if that is a genuine T-39 Superdome on your watch, I double my suggestion to keep it.

Have the watch modded when finances allow. You can easily install the gen insert and with the gen Tropic crystal, they are the LARGEST improvements you can make to the MBW. Wear it and enjoy! The other mods will pale in comparison and can easily wait.

BTW, I know how difficult it is to source vintage OEM parts. I have extras but given the PIA they were to find, they aren't going anywhere. :biggrin:

Added:

Modification estimates:

Lug holes & bracelet-$80

OEM crown/tube install: $40

Dial aged correctly by an artist: $120

OEm Crown/Tube installing is harder than the newer MBK come out.

You must drill the Tubhole to right dimension,retapp and countersink it, I think nobody will do this for 40$

Sweet. You should have a very merry weekend, Mezz.

Thanks- I can't remember the last time I was so excited about receiving a watch. It has surprising size and wrist presence- the Seadwellers are awesome.

I'm convinced that the vintage MBW's are one of the coolest things about the hobby. The funny thing about Rolex reps, at least for me, is that they can never be too perfect. Whereas with other brands, there's a threshold of 'enough' that usually doesn't require a ton of gen parts and mods. I'm thinking I can only afford to have two of them.

Mezz,

As discussed, I had a closer look to your pics about the Super Dome.

I took both my Clark and Genuine in hands while looking at yours but, sorry to repeat, I can't be sure if yours is a gen or not.

I hope some real EagleEyed expert will shime in.

On the other topic, seeling the parts.

Don't do that. You will regret it.

Cheers

Stephane