When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can't Stand It Any Longer

ryyannon

Ever since I saw WatchMaster's version of this on the RWG board more than a year ago, I've wanted one. WM's version (I have his pics - which I've already posted several times before - but out of courtesy, I don't want to use them here while discussing the possibility of someone else taking up the same idea) is incredibly classy: he presented the 2533 as a 'new' rather than as an artificially aged watch. The result was astounding. Irresistable. But I did resist until it was sold, and I've regretted it ever since.

The idea here is not something like the 47mm models with the Moljina movements and the riveted straps, but a little more civilized and smaller-wrist-friendly watch, such as a standard 44mm Radiomir case with display back, good lume on a non-aged dial, removeable lugs, a flat (yes, flat, and not domed crystal) and a decent movement. More in the spirit of a hommage than an exact replica of the original, but if I wanted that, I'd go for one of the other 47mm higher end reps of this model sold by some of our dealers.

In short, if 'someone' (namely Davidsen, whom I'm trying to get interested in this project) were to offer what I've just described, how much member interest would there be in purchasing one? It's to be noted that the same case and movement could also be fitted with the California dial....

With Davidsens gold hands, a nicely lumed dial and a decent strap, there's no way I would say no to one of these...

66558-33654.jpg

What's your opinion?

As for the purists, I can already imagine your responses, but feel free to add your comments. :-)

Ever since I saw WatchMaster's version of this on the RWG board more than a year ago, I've wanted one.

I thought you said you bought one from this "WatchMaster" guy? Remember - I commented on the fat (wide) hands? In fact, I was waiting to see your Pics of it. Did that deal fall through, or....?

It's lucky you're here to keep me honest, Bress.

I can't imagine what I'd be inventing if you weren't around.....

The watch in question is indeed a WM Vintage with a California (and not a 2533) dial and very fat hands. I call it 'Little Joe.'

Little Joe is in Chicago, pending his trip over to Paris in the suitcase of a friend: I didn't want to take the chance of something going wrong during a transatlantic shipment from the U.S.

Little Joe notwithstanding, I still want a 2533.

It's lucky you're here to keep me honest, Bres.

I can't imagine what I'd be inventing if you weren't around.....

The watch in question is indeed a WM Vintage with a California (and not a 2533) dial and very fait hands. I call it 'Little Joe.'

Little Joe is in Chicago, pending his trip over to Paris in the suitcase of a friend: I didn't want to take the chance of something going wrong during a transatlantic shipment from the U.S.

Little Joe notwithstanding, I still want a 2533.

"Little Joe..." I like it.

Did you ever see the film, Le Locataire (The Tenant), written by, directed by, and starring Roman Polanski? Well, for some reason I imagined that once you received 'Little Joe,' you would hide him away quite literally in a hole in your wall, with some teeth perhaps? (If you have not seen it, don't see it on this account - it's very depressing.)

You WILL post your own pics of Little Joe, yes?

"Little Joe..." I like it.

Did you ever see the film, Le Locataire (The Tenant), written by, directed by, and starring Roman Polanski? Well, for some reason I imagined that once you received 'Little Joe,' you would hide him away quite literally in a hole in your wall, with some teeth perhaps? (If you have not seen it, don't see it on this account - it's very depressing.)

You WILL post your own pics of Little Joe, yes?

Funny you should mention La Locataire: I identify strongly, except that it's taking longer for the French to drive me to the same point of suicidal despair as the character portrayed in the film. One thing for sure: Polanski really knew what he was talking about.

No desire to hide LIttle Joe away - he was certainly born to ride - my wrist, and who knows, eventually someone else's....

As for pics, I don't even own a camera. Maybe Pugwash will be kind enough to take some the next time we meet up....

La Locataire....wow....I wish you hadn't reminded me....

@Eddy:

Little Joe is a powerful watch and I have no idea if our two personalities are going to be compatible. In the event that they're not, you'll be first on the list in the case that I decide to pass him along, and in the same gentlemanly way that Spaghettiman passed him on to me.

I'd like one ... I love that Rolex/Cortébert movement.

The pics are of a genuine, circa 1936.

66829-33617.jpg

Other vintages and prototypes can be seen by following the link provided by Gander, in an earlier thread on the origins of the California dial:

http://vwmann.de/Vintage/prot_6152.html

in which the often confusing question of the dial and movement in the pre-40s Panerais is answered with excellent info and illustrations.

@Eddy:

Little Joe is a powerful watch and I have no idea if our two personalities are going to be compatible. In the event that they're not, you'll be first on the list in the case that I decide to pass him along, and in the same gentlemanly way that Spaghettiman passed him on to me.

You sir a scholar and a gentleman. I was a little late when Spaghettiman put that baby up for sale. But I am happy that it has gone to a good... hopefully temporary home.;)

Eddy

i want one too....

the last one sold by WM is just :wub: ...the maximunm that can be bought...

i would like to have a vinty in my collection....i miss it....

so WM bring some vintys up for auction!

At this very moment, Narikaa is offering a stunning Vintage... it really looks good and I'd buy it in a minute if it had the specific features I'm holding out for...

Check it out and get it before it's sold....it's the best I've ever seen other than a WM!

What's real is that getting a WM is less than certain: he'll only deal with people he alredy knows - or who have been recommended by trusted clients - and you can never know exactly what he's going to be offering.

Fine if you have the patience and/or luck (not to mention $) but personally, I've been waiting more than a year to see the same 2533 reappear - and frankly, I don't think it ever will.

Several kind-hearted members with access to WM have offered to query him on the possibility of doing another of the same, but none have received an answer as yet.

Narikaa's model may not be a WM, but it certainly would be an acceptable alternative for me - if it weren't for that strap and the fixed lugs (not to mention the solid back).

It's still the best looking non-WM 3646 I've ever seen, and gives me hope that we'll be seeing others like it soon......

Narikaa's vinty is sold...was it you ryyannon?

by the way couldn't they engrave Firenze correctly and not Fereze or something like that?

No, it wasn't me....although I must admit to almost pulling the trigger.

Hey, you've got good eyes! (Or a reversible screen) Didn't even notice 'Fereze' Now, THAT's a bit of a bummer... I can see why they've put a solid back on it.

But other than a WM, it's still the best one I've seen yet.

And that yellow lume.....mmmmmm!

The idea here is not something like the 47mm models with the Moljina movements and the riveted straps, but a little more civilized and smaller-wrist-friendly watch, such as a standard 44mm Radiomir case with display back...

I have to concur- I myself prefer the smaller 45mm Radiomir case due to having smaller wrists. This one fits me well, but I never seem to wear it...

67433-33478.jpg

For what it's worth, the dial on this one was originally meant for a 47mm case. It was trimmed down and fit my 45mm Radiomir case instead (fits pretty good too with good position on the indicies). WM provided the dial and caseback only- The case was from a PAM183 rep, and the Swiss 6497 was sourced from a different watch with the seconds hand trimmed off. So... It may be possible to custom build one (similar to what I did) if you can get a hold of the 2533 dial :)