When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Cousteau or a SOSF

kenmasters

So guys, i'm having trouble deciding between a IWC Cousteau and a Breitling SOSF. Both superb watches I hear. I'm posting on the IWC forum because I want to know how people feel about their Cousteau's.. I hear the AR and the lume is not bad - at least better than the slevin. I'm leaning towards the '07 model, its a bit flashy (having an orange dial), but it looks nicer overall. Thoughts ?

Thanks !! ;)

Edited by kenmasters

Seriously..

Cousteau... inner bezel is not spot on you have to maually adjust it half a click for the 12 marker to line up with the second timer hand

the lume is not bad but needs a relume ... the day- date wheel needs adjusting

the rubber strap is probably the best out of all the reps .... the double AR is just that .. (good)

all said it is worth getting..the silver/white sub dials are briliantly done (concentric circles).. the 06 though is more toned down and I guess you could call classic look

SOSF

IMHO.. the better lume out of the box out of the 2

Double Ar is to me one of, if not the best out of the box. appears not to have a crystal at angles... not so much on white but on the blk and Blue dials

screw down crown needs to be "seated" with use, so be careful.. very tight at first u need to break it in.. mine are (knock on Wood) doing fine..I had used watch oil on the srew to help seat the threads

the leather strap (need to get one along with the bracelet) is one of the best rep straps once it is broken in.. leather ages nicely

bezel and pearl are superb.. ditto on the dial

very heavy watch easpecially with the bracelet.. and the bracelet and clasp are good..

hope that helps

I personally like the SFSO, I've about to purchase one myself... I love the white face with black Bob strap, but I think I'm going to get the black face/Bob'd in order to enjoy the AR a little more.

As far as IWC, I really like the 3719 Aquatimer over the Cousteau, most people probably feel the opposite. Beautiful watch with very unique clean lines to it.

_Brian

I think the SOSF is the best "out of the box" rep ever made, quality of the ETA version is superb, and you can really feel like you own a gen. This watch is a keeper for a long time (although most of us including me like to change) and if you buy only one watch and don't wish to invest in modding - take a black or blue dial SOSF with a leather strap and you won't regret. But go only for the ETA and best version. Regarding IWC, I own only the pilot 3717 which a lot had been written about its great look and quality.

SOSF IMO

I had a The Zigmeister relumed 06 cousteau(had to sell it i miss it so much) and also own the 07 cousteau which by the way was just returned to the dealer last week .... hour subdial not working ,dust under crystal and misalined day/date ... the CD's are beautiful sporty watches that grabs everyones eye ..... but problem will happen and service/modding the watch is $$$$..... i just got my SOSF last night a XMAS from my girlfriend .... and man i cant keep my eyes off the thing ... the watch is great and it being 98% perfect and swiss means no modding (unless u want to) and the movement is oiled and u can wear it and fool anyone the day u get it

Thanks everyone. Its a tough choice and the Cousteau and the SOSF are both fine reps. There seems to be more support for the SOSF. I'm not a big fan of Brietlings, but I do like the the SOSF for all the fine details it has.. looks like an expensive watch. I was hoping for more IWC support !! I tried out the Aquatimer Slevin and it wasn't for me.. so I didn't think the Cousteau would increase my satisfaction to a much higher degree. But i had to decide, my blue SOSF is coming hopefully soon !! :) I think may try out the IWC Pilots in the near future, because i do want to own a IWC one day..

Thanks everyone. Its a tough choice and the Cousteau and the SOSF are both fine reps. There seems to be more support for the SOSF. I'm not a big fan of Brietlings, but I do like the the SOSF for all the fine details it has.. looks like an expensive watch. I was hoping for more IWC support !! I tried out the Aquatimer Slevin and it wasn't for me.. so I didn't think the Cousteau would increase my satisfaction to a much higher degree. But i had to decide, my blue SOSF is coming hopefully soon !! :) I think may try out the IWC Pilots in the near future, because i do want to own a IWC one day..

I totally agree with your choices (also about the Pilot, maybe try to look for more recently released versions- see Lanikai posts and pics), I admit that I am a breitling fan and I think the SOSF's look and quality are unbelivable. Enjoy.