When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

for cigar lovers: a great deal and terrific service from habanodirect

JoJo35

Just thought I'd share a recent experience with a couple items ordered from habanodirect. About a month ago I ordered two boxes of my favorite cigars, which unfortunately got halted along the line (ugh!). They quickly shipped a full replacement, which arrived yesterday :D

Like many of our dealers, customer service came first, and was very much appreciated. ....Heh heh, I think I may have to dig out the dupont! ;)

Edited by JoJo35

Just thought I'd share a recent experience with a couple items ordered from habanodirect. About a month ago I ordered two boxes of my favorite cigars, which unfortunately got halted along the line (ugh!). They quickly shipped a full replacement, which arrived yesterday :D

Like many of our dealers, customer service came first, and was very much appreciated. ....Heh heh, I think I may have to dig out the dupont! ;)

Hahaha, I have a dupont for exactly that reason. I may be a student, but cigars are a must!

Please let me know as well what they can get (and whether authentic). I'm in Venezuela now, where they have the good stuff (though still pricey) but will be in England for term-time....which is when cravings kick in even more!!

Thanks!

too many favorites to count.. some include (all aged at least 3 - 5 years) many are box code NNSU.. NNSC... 98.. 97

Ramon Allones Gigantes ... Special Select... etc.

Partagas Lusitanias.. shorts and some discontinued .. and all gauges

Punch double Coronas

Punch Churchills... Punch Punch and discontined gauges

Hoyo de Monteray Double Coronas.. peite Corona.. and the rest

SLR Double Coronas.. and all gauges

Bolivar Churchills.. and the rest

H. Uppmann Monarcas (tubos) and Sir Winston .. Monarcas and SW to close to tell

Cohiba ... all gauges

Discontinued.. RA Lonsdales

SLR Lonsdales

La Gloria Cubana .. ALL GAUGES

Montes... all gauges .. most full bodied is the Especialles... some are EMS selections... recent release.. Petite Edmundo

Trinadad .. 1st release Fundadores(gold Band).. collectors edition..and all gauges .. new 07 Maduro release

pre embargoed .. oils still good .. will never smoke them just to view fom time to time

San Cristobol ... El Morros .. El P> and the rest.. Great for aging new brand 2000

specially rolled pyramids .. Cohiba, Partagas, Hoyo, Romeo Julieta

Romeo Julieta.. tubos and the rest

Cuaba .. All (just aging for now).. Divinos 1997 discontinued

Robaina.. All and all of them are superlative

Aged Opus X.. rivals Hanbanos believe it or not ... aged 8 years.. total pure white ash.. no gray at all

Probably forgot another chest that is aging... chest holds 50 boxes each

don't boast of how many Reps i have collected .. but as far as Habanos... this has been a long journey and collecting aged and aging myself has made me very proud of what i have collected..thus i will boast on this thread

morning smoke? peitites.. shorts..

Lunch? anything that is 1 to 1 1/2 hours.... late early evening... depending on what i eat.. but the DC's or Churchill .. some really potent Lonsdales as these are more bodied than some of the bigger gauges

Gotta love Life :lol:

too many favorites to count.. some include (all aged at least 3 - 5 years) many are box code NNSU.. NNSC... 98.. 97

Ramon Allones Gigantes ... Special Select... etc.

Partagas Lusitanias.. shorts and some discontinued .. and all gauges

Punch double Coronas

Punch Churchills... Punch Punch and discontined gauges

Hoyo de Monteray Double Coronas.. peite Corona.. and the rest

SLR Double Coronas.. and all gauges

Bolivar Churchills.. and the rest

H. Uppmann Monarcas (tubos) and Sir Winston .. Monarcas and SW to close to tell

Cohiba ... all gauges

Discontinued.. RA Lonsdales

SLR Lonsdales

La Gloria Cubana .. ALL GAUGES

Montes... all gauges .. most full bodied is the Especialles... some are EMS selections... recent release.. Petite Edmundo

Trinadad .. 1st release Fundadores(gold Band).. collectors edition..and all gauges .. new 07 Maduro release

pre embargoed .. oils still good .. will never smoke them just to view fom time to time

San Cristobol ... El Morros .. El P> and the rest.. Great for aging new brand 2000

specially rolled pyramids .. Cohiba, Partagas, Hoyo, Romeo Julieta

Romeo Julieta.. tubos and the rest

Cuaba .. All (just aging for now).. Divinos 1997 discontinued

Robaina.. All and all of them are superlative

Aged Opus X.. rivals Hanbanos believe it or not ... aged 8 years.. total pure white ash.. no gray at all

Probably forgot another chest that is aging... chest holds 50 boxes each

don't boast of how many Reps i have collected .. but as far as Habanos... this has been a long journey and collecting aged and aging myself has made me very proud of what i have collected..thus i will boast on this thread

morning smoke? peitites.. shorts..

Lunch? anything that is 1 to 1 1/2 hours.... late early evening... depending on what i eat.. but the DC's or Churchill .. some really potent Lonsdales as these are more bodied than some of the bigger gauges

Gotta love Life :lol:

WOW lanikai, that is a lot of different ones. You and I have talked and you know I love my cigars!!

habanodirect is not the best place to buy them from though. But I am glad it worked out for you jojo.

WOW lanikai, that is a lot of different ones. You and I have talked and you know I love my cigars!!

habanodirect is not the best place to buy them from though. But I am glad it worked out for you jojo.

Haven't forgotten u TT.. your sticks are packed ... but no way am i even attempting to get in that "night club like" line.. don't know the door man.. don't have 2 hours to killat the post office......... yikes, gotta wait until after the holiday postal rush to send buddy... B)

Haven't forgotten u TT.. your sticks are packed ... but no way am i even attempting to get in that "night club like" line.. don't know the door man.. don't have 2 hours to killat the post office......... yikes, gotta wait until after the holiday postal rush to send buddy... B)

No worries. You could always just print out the postage online and then all you have to do is drop off the box at a Post location. No lines, no wait, no mess. You can even get your own delivery person to come and pick it up at your door for free!!

TT, I'd love to know a better deal if there's one out there :) any tips?. I bought two boxes during one of their weekly specials, a box of Cohiba Siglo 4, and a box of Cohiba Robustos. Total price USD was a little over 7

Edited by JoJo35

@TT... some show and tell bra....

the Robaina box has not been opened in a year.. the Edicion limitada last opened to air about 6 months ago .. some very light Plume developing already

the tubes are from boxes that have been discontinued .. long ago

the Trinidad fundadores are from the "initial" release.. these will not be smoked for at least another 5 plus years, the reason being I have 5 year olds and seems a watse to not keep aging these .. the cohiba EL's need at least 3 or 4 more years. got enough to rotate... you already know the history behind the Trinidad ... used only for diplomatic gifts.. and only came in the Fundadores vitola before public release

Robaina really needs minimum 5 years to be acceptable... if you ever get to try the Monte Especialle 1 .. it will not dissapoint... fullest bodied Monte.. needs at least 5 years though..(don't ask about that one.. their my babies.. ) .. Cohibas aren't my Favs.. kind of mild.. but with some good age they are very good.. a bit overrated though still go for the Parti's and RA's and SLR's for full flavour.. but can't wait to try the Maduro's after another year of aging

Notice the sheen from the oils mixing.. you cannot beat good aging

post-2172-1198379815_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1198379498_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1198379755_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1198379714_thumb.jpgpost-2172-1198379550_thumb.jpg[attac

ment=18538:IMG_1940.JPG] [attac

ment=18536:IMG_1943.JPG]post-2172-1198379995_thumb.jpg

Life is Definately GOOD

post-2172-1198379877_thumb.jpg

post-2172-1198380277_thumb.jpg

Some of my favorites are no longer made...but, I've found some replacements.

I always lean towards the 5 x 50 Robustos.

Zino - Mouton Cadet # 6, I think it was. They now have a Classic Zino that took it's place.

Partagas Serie D # 4 (LOVE this cigar). Sometimes hard to find around here.

Por Larranaga

CAO - Americana

CAO - Maduro Anniversary

Romeo y Julieta - Legendary Cigars

Montecristo No. 2

La Gloria Cubana

Padron - Serie 1926 40th Anniversary

Gurkha - Black Dragon

One of the best cigars I've ever had was a Partagas 150.

Tonight I had a Gurkha Grand Reserve - Robusto (Great cigar).

I've always liked the idea of smoking decent cigars, but don't really know where to start. Apart from the odd puff at the end of a party, I've never pursued cigars at all. I smoke about 10 cigarettes a day (Marlboro Lights) and have done for years.

Can anyone recommend a decent mild "starter" cigar that's not going to blow my head off?

Cheers

Thanks for the heads-up, Lanikai: that looks like an excellent source - particularly for people in the EU. Nice selection, really low prices, and you can create your own 'sampler' boxes by selecting sticks from their entire offering.

I'm planning to try them out in a few days...will report back.

Aloha, and happy holidays!

For you Ryyannon .. there is a special blend, rolled with the aged and cured leaf of HEMLOCK ... you can even use it for your afternoon tea... won't even charge you for it.. :rolleyes:

Aloha Ke Akua

May you and yours have a Blessed and Joyous Holiday Season

And a Very healthy and Prosperous New Year..

Mele Kalikimaka .. Hauole Maka Hiki Hoe....

Lani

The two i use besides my local store are;

Cigarsofhabanos this one is Hongkong based.

Gesto Switzerland based.

Both only sell authentic cigars and are really cheap.

In the reviews of the big cigar boards they alway`s score excellent.

I`ve ordered from both and my preference is Gesto.

Really fast delivery and because i live in Europe less custom worries.

I know, i know Switzerland isn`t part of the EC but nevertheless less worries.

Also the communication and after-sales are excellent.

Look at them and be amazed.

Only Cubans though.

cheers retep

Can anyone recommend a decent mild "starter" cigar that's not going to blow my head off?

Start off with a dominican or Honduran.. for Cuban... Fonseca should be mild.. as your palate becomes accustomed you may want more full bodied smokes

Fonseca is mild indeed but tasteless too.

For a "starter" try a Quai D`Orsay coronas you will not be dissapointed (i hope).

As a fellow cigar lover (Cuban - cohibas, DR, and a few US), what about Whiskey?

If you smoke cigars, you must have a good aged single malt...

17yrs or older... older the better, most of the time.

vintage Ardmore (special occasions only) 40yrs

Dalwhinnie

Ardbeg

Oban

Talisker

the Balveine

Glenkinchie

Lagavulin

A few from my selection, underneath my Humidors, lol.

Hey Lanikai I would love to know the site you passed on to ryy as well. :smile:

Ken

I don't order via web site.. my contacts are through refferal only.. they belong to the Habanos SA consortium and travel to Cuba to select the vitolas

I think the one who started the thread is buying from habanosdirect.. to much (this is funny) counterfiet sticks out there.. the tax band on the box is even authentic.. down to the triple capped foot.. and when and if i ever buy a fresh box say 06 or 07 they will not be touched for at least another year at the earliest but more like two.. All my cohibas are at least 4 years old... they are lacking flavour and body when fresh but after a couple .. three years are like the older tobaco .. before the desease and hurricane wiped out the crops and made them hybrid desease resistant seed which are milder in body than the pre 99 leaf..

the monte #2 for example is a pure waste IMHO if smoked fresh.. and if the sticks go through a "sick period" disspelling ammonia then it could take a year to get them right again.. had 2 cabs of 50 count punch punch go sick at the same time.. but now they are superb.. also had a cab of punch super selection #2(discontinued) go sick and this was after 4 or 5 years box code.(.the older code).. they were tastless for a year and now they are superb..

I will post pics of my Cuaba diademes and salamones.. when fresh they smel like cut grass .. and after 2 years start turning an incredible reddish colour and at 5 (minimum for smoking) are like red dirt in colour.. many people try them and say they aren't any good but they are smoking them way too young.. Cubans unlike any other tobaco in the world (nicaragua comes close) has conogenes (oils) that get better with time as long as they are humidified correctly and become stronger with age.. it's the bonding of the simple molecules in some instances..

Cubans are like wine .. there are some vitolas that are surreal at 25 to 30 years .. and others that start going flat after 10... as long as the oils are kept humidified the sticks will keep maturing.. so I constantly monitor all my humidors and chests... sometimes needing to extract moisture forom the sticks too.. hawaii is very humid and the ocean is close by so i have to be careful of salt air too.

when I have say 1997 vintage sticks they sometimes get so tight in the ligero.. i have to over humidify them and roll them with the palm of my hand on a table as they would in the factory to loosen the stick so it can draw.. when i do this the box could take up to a year to get "right " again naturally... but it is worth it..

I have 1997 La Gloria Cubana (cuban) lonsdales that would blow your fu**ing eyes out . they are like from the old stock of tobaco before the new generation of seeds were developed... the bands are cool cause they are so aged.. the next time i take them out to check on their condition i will post pics..and the next time i take out the La Corona Pre-embarged stick (machine rolled) I will post a pic,.. don't like to expose that to oxygen too often.. I "imagine" it may have been bought in the Hotel that Al Capone built.. when the Mob flourished in Havana... i like nostalgia..

And i will post pics of the Davidoff number 1.. extinct now, Davidoff was kicked out of cuba .. i believe he didn't want to join in with habanos SA .. which is the govt. .. they sell for 100 usd per stick.. it was gifted to me.. i don't like davidoff way too mild like Fonseca and the rest of the milder cubans..but again I keep it as art sake.

post-2172-1198549575_thumb.jpg hows this for a nub job.. sooo good .. San Cristobal La F. ......2 year old.. still a lot of good aging to go .. but very flavoursome

The two i use besides my local store are;

Cigarsofhabanos this one is Hongkong based.

Gesto Switzerland based.

Both only sell authentic cigars and are really cheap.

In the reviews of the big cigar boards they alway`s score excellent.

I`ve ordered from both and my preference is Gesto.

Really fast delivery and because i live in Europe less custom worries.

I know, i know Switzerland isn`t part of the EC but nevertheless less worries.

Also the communication and after-sales are excellent.

Look at them and be amazed.

Only Cubans though.

cheers retep

if you are in the US .. be careful of cigarsof habanos.. they send through regular mail with fake paper work.. a lot of people recieve letters from not customs but from the Justice department.. this is the downfall of getting unbanded sticks in the US mail.. the main concern is the paper work... justice tracked the paper work sent from different addresses but having the same sender.. they label thier card board boxes .. cigars from the philippines.. "cigars of Mindinao"

and their quality is very lacking .. it is authentic cubans for cheap but there are different grades ..ie. the best grades are reserved for England "EMS" will be marked on the box or tube...Honk Kong.. as you have a lot of vintage collectors there.. Min Ron Nee.. author of the book .. encyclopedia of Post Revolutionary cigars... (that's his pen name.. by far the number one expert on cuban cigars).. i got his book smuggled out of Canada ...150 usd .. it is the best reference book for current and vintage discontinued vitolas

Geneva.. very ..very good quality.. singapore and Canada.. these regions have some of the best grades of cubans... ia am expecting a 50 cab of Por Laranaga petite corona... exellent very full bodied smoke ... hard to come by . very small factory..

Fonseca is mild indeed but tasteless too.

For a "starter" try a Quai D`Orsay coronas you will not be dissapointed (i hope).

you are probably right . as i don't smoke these vitolas.. they are way too mild for me.. if someone sends some to me .. i feel bad.. but i give them away .. it would be a waste to just leave them lying around.... the milder sticks do well in France for the lighter palates.. or so I'm told

I have a very good contact in Geneva.. his boxes are incredible ... some of them NNSC code... 1997 ie. Bolivar PC 1997 vintage.. for less than you would pay online for 07 box code.. would not advise shipping to the US though... it will get confinscated.. andre will replace it or refund.. but not worth getting red flagged by customs ...he still emails me with availability .. and i drool over the box code and prices but can do nothing.. :( his quality is outstanding