When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Thought of Nanuq

Victoria

Watching Headline News when a story came on -- a mad pack of wolves attacked a group of three lady joggers, and their dogs.

The ladies sensibly had pepper spray on them (I do too when I go jogging), as the wolves were apparently emboldened to attack humans and dogs for a quick snack. This happened on Ft. Rich, near Anchorage.

Extract:

"Neither the three women nor their dogs heard the pack of wolves creeping up behind them as they jogged on Artillery Road in the frigid morning air.

Camas Barkemeyer, 26, her dogs Buddy, a 3-year-old American bulldog, and Ginger, a 6-year-old husky, were among that group on Fort Richardson a little after 10 a.m. Thursday. One minute it was peaceful. Then she glanced back and saw the pack of about eight wolves spanning the road, only a few feet behind.

A melee ensued, accompanied by screaming, snarling, blood and pepper spray.

"The thought went through my head: 'What dog? What dog am I going to let go?' " Barkemeyer said. "It was the most terrifying thing I've ever been through."

This is the tough American Staffordshire bulldog that was attacked by said wolves, a rising problem in the area...hope you don't live nearby, Nanuq. :wounded1:

bulldogjj9.jpg

Ah, that was in the news yesterday, the wolves have REALLY stepped it up this year. Lots of dogs have been killed.

Where that attack happened is in the park where I ride my mtn bike every day. There are hundreds of miles of trails and nobody else out there. It's really wonderful and peaceful this time of year.

I'll be out riding a few hours today, and I'll keep an eye peeled for the wolves. Not to worry.

Merry Christmas all!

I'll be out riding a few hours today, and I'll keep an eye peeled for the wolves. Not to worry.

Incredible, Nanuq. Being a city girl, I had no idea the dangers faced in the Great White North -- bears, I suspected, but packs of wolves which attacked people and dogs (especially bulldogs, which are bred for fierce protection...), that was too much.

Merry Christmas all!

Be safe, Nanuq. Take that axe you showed one time, with you. ;)

Merry Christmas!

Incredible, Nanuq. Being a city girl, I had no idea the dangers faced in the Great White North -- bears, I suspected, but packs of wolves which attacked people and dogs (especially bulldogs, which are bred for fierce protection...), that was too much.

Be safe, Nanuq. Take that axe you showed one time, with you. ;)

Merry Christmas!

Wolves everywhere these days Vicky, just everywhere.

Me, I barely go out anymore - and I'm in Paris :o

• 3 weeks later...

What happened in the end?

I made just over 300 miles on the Iditarod Trail in the cold and snow, and I saw a LOT of wolf tracks. Happily the bears are all bedded down now. I frostbit the end of my nose (again) and my toes, and lost some skin, but it was great riding.

Here's a photo of my new trail partner!

pugs1.jpg