When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thinking of getting a gen

phaedo

Hi all,

So I have been planning on getting a gen for a while, and the last couple of reps I have got have been to size up whether they are what I want for a gen. But so far, no luck. When I got the panerai bug, it was what I thought would be what I would get, but the question was, which one? But after a few weeks, even having a Davidsen 113, I had decided that although I do like them, I don't see the value in them basically in the gen - yes, I would pay the $500 odd for a fully kitted out rep, but as for paying more than that for a real one, I don't see it is worth any more than that. Especially with the base unitas movement.

So the next one I thought could be me, and I say this coming from a perspective of never really 'getting' rolex, was the yachtmaster. But after the bigger watches I had been wearing, it was just too small, and not me.

Next up, I came a cross a VC retrograding calendar in the sales section, and again, it is a smaller watch, but thought maybe that would be the sort of thing I could go for - a classy watch, not for every day wear, but I do have my reps for that :) Well, I do like it, but not to spend the cash on a gen.

Recently I have been looking at the Planet Ocean (The 45mm one). I don't have a rep of it, at least not yet, but they have been growing on me. They didn't really look that big, but I went into the AD today, and tried it on, and they are bigger than I thought. But as of now, it is on the short list. I am still thinking, and one reason the get reps is in case I would get bored with it and have buyers remorse, but definately something I am liking now. And actually, not a bad price either for what I found - retail here is $4800 AU, they would take 20% off straight away, bringing it down to $3700. I recently saw one advertised locally at a dealer who trades second hand watches, almost a year old, looking at $3500 but that would include both the bracelet and a rubber strap. Not much cheaper really, considering I wouldn't want rubber anyway.

One thing I do think about, I don't swim, so I am hardly going to need the 600m water resistance or helium valve, so is it worth buying one with these features?

I think it would be a watch that would suit most occassions, at least these days with anything goes in fashion I could get away with a diving watch wearing a suit, but it would go well at the beach or gym, and a sportier watch would be a better thing to get at this stage in my life (I am a little under 30) rather that a more dressy watch.

Anyway, I have rambled enough, would be interested to hear what others have to say about it.

Hi all,

So I have been planning on getting a gen for a while, and the last couple of reps I have got have been to size up whether they are what I want for a gen. But so far, no luck. When I got the panerai bug, it was what I thought would be what I would get, but the question was, which one? But after a few weeks, even having a Davidsen 113, I had decided that although I do like them, I don't see the value in them basically in the gen - yes, I would pay the $500 odd for a fully kitted out rep, but as for paying more than that for a real one, I don't see it is worth any more than that. Especially with the base unitas movement.

So the next one I thought could be me, and I say this coming from a perspective of never really 'getting' rolex, was the yachtmaster. But after the bigger watches I had been wearing, it was just too small, and not me.

Next up, I came a cross a VC retrograding calendar in the sales section, and again, it is a smaller watch, but thought maybe that would be the sort of thing I could go for - a classy watch, not for every day wear, but I do have my reps for that :) Well, I do like it, but not to spend the cash on a gen.

Recently I have been looking at the Planet Ocean (The 45mm one). I don't have a rep of it, at least not yet, but they have been growing on me. They didn't really look that big, but I went into the AD today, and tried it on, and they are bigger than I thought. But as of now, it is on the short list. I am still thinking, and one reason the get reps is in case I would get bored with it and have buyers remorse, but definately something I am liking now. And actually, not a bad price either for what I found - retail here is $4800 AU, they would take 20% off straight away, bringing it down to $3700. I recently saw one advertised locally at a dealer who trades second hand watches, almost a year old, looking at $3500 but that would include both the bracelet and a rubber strap. Not much cheaper really, considering I wouldn't want rubber anyway.

One thing I do think about, I don't swim, so I am hardly going to need the 600m water resistance or helium valve, so is it worth buying one with these features?

I think it would be a watch that would suit most occassions, at least these days with anything goes in fashion I could get away with a diving watch wearing a suit, but it would go well at the beach or gym, and a sportier watch would be a better thing to get at this stage in my life (I am a little under 30) rather that a more dressy watch.

Anyway, I have rambled enough, would be interested to hear what others have to say about it.

Hi Phaedo, I recently bought the PO 45mm after purchasing one as a gift for someone else. After seeing it in the flesh and comparing it to my rep UPO I wanted one bad.

Since then I also bought a Seadweller and love that watch just as much, the weight of the whole watch and in particular the difference in the feel of the bracelet really sets it apart from the rep. I feel the biggest difference in owning the real mccoy is the confidence that goes with wearing the real watch in any situation.

The PO is a great all round watch I feel pushed really close by the SFSO which I'm hoping to get sometime in 2008, both I feel are great watches that can be worn in casual and smart situations and not look out of place.

Hi Phaedo,

Have you thought about an Omega Seamaster Professional? I have a genuine one; its this one but with pre-coaxial movement (http://www.omegawatches.com/index.php?id=286&details=1&ref=22208000&no_cache=1). It's a great all round watch and wears well with both suits and on more casual occasions. And it's a great size; its 41 or 42 mm in diameter but relatively thin so good for shirt cuffs.

Cheers,

RD.

I usually exclude gens that are as well repped as the UPO since 99.99% of the people who I run into wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a modded UPO and gen, but if you really believe a gen is 3X better than a modded rep, definitely take YM's advice and buy used.

The 2531.80 and 2254.50 are both really nice watches. The 45mm Planet Ocean (2900.50.91) is also a really nice watch, but, on the rubber strap, is a bit hard to get under a shirt cuff, where the other two SMPs are much more versatile.

Cash-wise, an old one will certainly be cheaper than new, but, as you said as with the Panerai (and something I apply to any watch or high-end product) I personally, don't feel that the product justifies the price, so I'd always say save the money by buying a really nice quality rep, and maybe using the remainder (of what a gen would cost) to treat yourself to something else. Of course, if you definitely want to get a gen, then go for it, and best of luck with your hunt :)

rlx sea-dweller

+ never fall in value, good quality, classic design will love also in 20 years, manufactur movement, 1200m water resistant, every day beater

- to small with 40mm, you will see reps on every wrist, high price range (4.000 - 4.500euro)

omega planet ocean

+ good price range (2.100euro), available in 42 or 45mm, WR, in orange or black

- not the high end watch, no manufactur movement, i wouldn

Thanks for the replies so far guys, to answer a couple of points raised. Rubberducky: I like the look of the PO a lot better than the seamaster, so will rule those out, archibald: a gen, even if the rep is very accrate, is still a gen and I do want something that in 50 years time is the real thing, just a case of what - something I like obviously. Yellomen, unless I can find a real bargain, I would prefer new, but for some stuff I do agree trying to find something on the second hand market is better. Had a look at jomashop and they sell the 2200.50 for under $2500 US, with todays currency rates I could get it for under $3,000 AU shipped - quite a saving than getting it locally, although no factory warranty.

Anyway, still early days of looking right now.

Thanks for the replies so far guys, to answer a couple of points raised. Rubberducky: I like the look of the PO a lot better than the seamaster, so will rule those out, archibald: a gen, even if the rep is very accrate, is still a gen and I do want something that in 50 years time is the real thing, just a case of what - something I like obviously. Yellomen, unless I can find a real bargain, I would prefer new, but for some stuff I do agree trying to find something on the second hand market is better. Had a look at jomashop and they sell the 2200.50 for under $2500 US, with todays currency rates I could get it for under $3,000 AU shipped - quite a saving than getting it locally, although no factory warranty.

Anyway, still early days of looking right now.

One thing you should know about Jomas Shop....they are authorized to sell Bulova and Seiko only....they sell other watches new....but they are not authorized to do so....they buy from vendors who are Rolex, Omega authorized....because they are not authorized to sell these watches as new....you will not get all of the paperwork that comes with the watch....I knew a lady who purchased an Omega from them and she did not get all the paperwork....they said that they could not give it to her because they are not ADs....personally....I think its not a wise decision to buy from them....I spoke with them over the phone myself and they told me the same thing....

Now back to the real issue....what kind of gen to buy??..sounds like Rolex is out of the picture....unless you want to go with the Yachtmaster....IMHO....it is an ugly watch....the bezel is really unattractive to me....they could have done a lot better on the design....

If you are interested in Omega....then I would suggest the SMP Chrono....its solid design will never go out of style and the subdials keep the view interesting....It would take a long time for me to get bored of a watch like that....take away the subdials and I am bored to death....

Panerai is an excellent option....once again I suggest the Chrono....Panerai Daylight....wow....what an incredible watch....so beautiful....yet complicated and bold....while having a lot of class

Paneraidaylight.jpg

One thing you should know about Jomas Shop....they are authorized to sell Bulova and Seiko only....they sell other watches new....but they are not authorized to do so....they buy from vendors who are Rolex, Omega authorized....because they are not authorized to sell these watches as new....you will not get all of the paperwork that comes with the watch....I knew a lady who purchased an Omega from them and she did not get all the paperwork....they said that they could not give it to her because they are not ADs....personally....I think its not a wise decision to buy from them....I spoke with them over the phone myself and they told me the same thing....

Now back to the real issue....what kind of gen to buy??..sounds like Rolex is out of the picture....unless you want to go with the Yachtmaster....IMHO....it is an ugly watch....the bezel is really unattractive to me....they could have done a lot better on the design....

If you are interested in Omega....then I would suggest the SMP Chrono....its solid design will never go out of style and the subdials keep the view interesting....It would take a long time for me to get bored of a watch like that....take away the subdials and I am bored to death....

Panerai is an excellent option....once again I suggest the Chrono....Panerai Daylight....wow....what an incredible watch....so beautiful....yet complicated and bold....while having a lot of class

Paneraidaylight.jpg

Thanks for that reply, with further reading I assumed there would be no papers, and after all, I buy a gen, I want papers!

That daylight is definately a nice watch, I would think of the white face actually. But is it 3 times the price of the omega. As I said, still a while before I make a decision, have no cash for it just now.