When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I'm Done With Stainless Steel Watches

Chronus

I'm done with Stainless Steel watches for the summer. Now that it's heating up, I'm getting too much itchiness from stainless steel watches. I was wearing a PAM063 today on a rubber strap, and had problems on either wrist. Gotta switch to Titanium.

Any recommendations? So far I have PAM192, PAM036 (on the way), IWC GST Chrono and the Breitling Avenger Seawolf, and may go for the Breitling Chrono Avenger in titanium too (but different dial colour).

The other alternative is to get a Panerai Compass style strap for my stainless steel PAMs.

Edited by Chronus

I'm done with Stainless Steel watches for the summer. Now that it's heating up, I'm getting too much itchiness from stainless steel watches. Gotta switch to Titanium.

Any recommendations? So far I have PAM192, PAM036 (on the way) and the Breitling Avenger Seawolf, and may go for the Breitling Chrono Avenger in titanium too.

The other alternative is to get a Panerai Compass style strap for my PAMs.

I got a 176 Ti which is the Base model from Josh. Very nice. I like it beacuse not too many base Ti out there. I should have pics up in the Panerai section under "A Pair of Ti's"

Eddy

Damn that really does suck ! You sure you are okay with titanium ? Personally I wouldn't go for the Chrono Avenger and the normal one, just way too similiar. The compass style straps are pretty good for a retro look as well

BTW for the sake of your allergies I'll be happy to take the AP off your hands :D;)

No chance the AP is going anywhere. I think there is someone else trying to sell theirs in the trading section.

Forgot to mention I have an IWC GST in titanium already on the way :thumbsupsmileyanim:

PAM176 is one I'll look to getting at some point too.

You're right about the Breitling Chrono Avenger, still something that needs more thought.

Bring out the PAM194 in titanium already!

Also, I haven't seen any of the titanium Omegas being repped :(

I'm pretty sure there arent any genuine R*l*xes in titanium too.

If I were you, I'd go for the PAM 177h Titanium Swiss Swan Neck. Josh and Andrew have it. I'm waiting for a Destro model of that one myself.

I wouldn't mind a Destro model either. I prefer wearing my watch on the right wrist.

As it is not too dissimilar from the PAM036, I'm passing on this one, and rather get a PAM176 (base).

Great pick otherwise :group:

Just use leather / rubber strap and borrow some of the stuff ur girlfriend uses on her nails to paint the back of the watch.. Problem solved :-)

Sadly, no gf at the moment :(

I'm done with Stainless Steel watches for the summer. Now that it's heating up, I'm getting too much itchiness from stainless steel watches. I was wearing a PAM063 today on a rubber strap, and had problems on either wrist. Gotta switch to Titanium.

Nice excuse. It seems almost true. :lol:

Nice excuse. It seems almost true. :lol:

It's true, I've had this problem for a while when it gets hot.

When I was 16 I had a problem with metal frames on glasses and the skin on my face was pretty bad, it was getting dry and hard and peeling off and there was some oozing liquid :(

I wear contacts more now, I think I may try some of that LASIK eye surgery though. Have to stop buying reps so I can afford that though.

Never ever heard of this problem before - sort of perennial SS-induced dermatitis?

Like titanium, stainless steel is non-allergenic, note the 'non' as opposed to 'hypo' (as in low). Hence one of the reasons piercings not to mention surgical instruments are made from the stuff.

There are people who are allergic to SS, admittedly, but this is a chronic allergic response (think nickel or perfume rather than peanuts), not 'heat-induced' in any way.

How strange, maybe I'll write a paper on you guys for the BMJ/NEJM :lol:

I think there is nickel in the SS used. I know the SS used in genuine R*l*x watches have a higher nickel content.

My sister had problems with earrings years ago too, and has said she's had problems in the summer time with some metals as well.

THAT explain all the watches your waiting :D

Definitely... lots of watches to fill that void. :huh:

I think there is nickel in the SS used. I know the SS used in genuine R*l*x watches have a higher nickel content.

My sister had problems with earrings years ago too, and has said she's had problems in the summer time with some metals as well.

Definitely... lots of watches to fill that void. :huh:

Dumping money on watches is still probably cheaper!