When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some Speedy love from EuroTimez

FxrAndy

I have been after a speedmaster for some time but the ones on offer never grabbed me, then i saw one offsite that looked better, maybe it was just the photos but i jumped in did a bit of negotiating and paid up and took a risk. The seller i will keep to myself for now.

Communications with the seller were VERY good, it is so nice to be addressed with your name as opposed to "Friend" and all mail was fast and friendly. Paypal accepted too!

Delivery was fast as it was shipped from within the EU, (i missed the courier service first time round so had to wait a couple of days but that was my fault alone.

The watch its self came as a boxed set with inner and outer boxes, wallet, Booklet, hang tags and cards, and the quality is good, you can see differences when put next to the gen box but only very small and in all a very nice touch to store this baby in when not being worn.

DSC00098.jpg

speedmasterfronton.jpg

So what version is it? i would say it is the same as the one that pugwash reviewed here but with Sapphire crystal front and rear as opposed to the plexy that pugs had. This makes it a bit more accurate to the model number 3573.50.00 and not the moon watch model number 3570.50.00 that would not have the display back. It appears to have a better bracelet than the one that Baltic compared to the gen here this can be seen by the lack of curve in the bracelet and the better finished end links in the photos below, the edges were a bit sharp but no more than expected in a rep and were far nicer after a bit of a polish with cape cod, almost silky now.

The case of the watch looks very nicely finished with the rear of the lugs highly polished but alas with out serial number. it has the same slightly deeper lugs to the gen case that Baltic compared his speedy with. The crown screws in and out well with out binding or cross threading and time setting also feels good and positive. The bezel insert suffers with the longer lines between 5 and 7. i was looking at getting a new insert to solve this but all the ones i have seen with the shorter lines don't have the tick above the

Nice Moon watch Andy! Congrats! I love this watch. I will one day buy the Gen - perhaps after a nice promotion ! :)

If they ever make a version that fixes the sub dial placement, I would definately buy another ! or even bring back the version with 'domed' crystal. I must have a dome crystal ! :D

Thanks for sharing

Ken

Very nice watch. I owned this exact same model once.

If those photos are taken with a camera phone, I'm impressed. Better than most people can take with their real cameras. :)

Congrats, Andy - that's a beautiful watch, and well worth the wait. Superb photo's and very impressive, detailed review.

This is what we love to see (well, I do - I dunno 'bout the reat of yuz)!

I haven't been able to find one I could live with, so I've a feeling I'll be buying a gen at some point down the road.

Wear it in good health, and enjoy!

I have always wanted a gen and my wife bought me one as a wedding present. You might be able to tell why I married her, but she got my watch money as a ring so I think it's only fair ;)

It is a classic design that holds alot of history and will always look good. I sometimes play with the idea of getting some extra case backs and faces in case I ever want to change the look. I saw a 50th aniversary one this weekend and liked it alot...hmmm

I have always wanted a gen and my wife bought me one as a wedding present. You might be able to tell why I married her, but she got my watch money as a ring so I think it's only fair ;)

It is a classic design that holds alot of history and will always look good. I sometimes play with the idea of getting some extra case backs and faces in case I ever want to change the look. I saw a 50th aniversary one this weekend and liked it alot...hmmm

Great taste of a classic watch and good wife ^_^ Me too have always wanted to source a display back for the speedy. It is a shame to hide the beautiful 1861 movement inside the case back.

Wear it in good health

Nice choice FxrAndy, I'm pleased my review is still of use. The accent on Tachymetre is missing on some older gens too so it's not too much of an issue. I'd freeze the 6 o'clock subdial and get the movement serviced and dial lumed and you've got a definite keeper. I only sold mine to help fund a gen - my all time favourite watch. Wear it well

Edited by baltic

Well with the help of Ajoesmiths tutorial on how to freaze a sub dial i have ahd it to bits and back together again now with a frozen subdial at 6. Now that looks better dont it!

DSC00135.jpg

I managed to pull the tube off the 6 oclock subdial dand but managed to pres it back together again so all is happy now, i know the main secondis a bit off but for tonight it will do! thanks A Joesmith.

• 5 months later...
No mine is the saphire version so it is not as domed as that one, rep or gen, the problem is you cant get the plexi rep any more.

argh… too bad ! I guess plexi must be hell to keep away from scratches… Anyway thanks for your answers I had what I wanted to know. It is not a flat glass but has a little bit of dome flavor ;)

Edited by docdoc

argh… too bad ! I guess plexi must be hell to keep away from scratches…

Not really. I have a Broad Arrow for 2 years now and have no scratch. Plus, Acrylic is very easy to buff if you ever scratch it.

Edited by vric

• 2 weeks later...

another question about that watch. What is the glass model in the omega catalogue that would fit into this watch case ?

I have read that the 1750032, 1750039, 1750040, 1750041, 1750045 models have the same glass.

So I wonder if you may know the case number from which the replica is made because I would definetely go for a modded speedy with a domed glass ?

Edited by docdoc