When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Could not find a 42mm Omega dial so.......

hyster

Hi all,

I have been looking for a 42mm PO dial for one of my watches after finding out one night that drinking and reluming dont mix.

Why do these things seem like a great idea when you had a few?

I tried a few dealers and kept an eye on the members market, nothing.

So I gave up........

No, not really, I contacted Silix and got him to send me his 45mm dial with the flat feet.

I got it tonight and after comparing it to the 42mm dial I decided that it was really close to fitting,..... if it was trimmed.

I used a movement holder to cover the dial and use as a template, the movement holder fitted inside the case perfectly so I knew that was the diameter I was looking for.

The holder protected the dial from swarf as I kack handedly hacked away with my dremel.

Anyway here are the money shots, sorry they are not the greatest but I thought they might be of some interest to a fellow watch butcher.

By the way, noobs take note, I have wrecked many watches, if you want to play be prepared to throw it away!

( :blush: Should be my moto)

100_0789.jpg

100_0787.jpg

100_0776.jpg

100_0780.jpg

100_0773.jpg

100_0775.jpg

100_0765.jpg

I've had a bit of a fart about with the pearl, relumed it and relumed the hands.

AR from the one and only K2222, if you have not sent him something, do it.

I am happy with it because I can wear it again but what do you guys think?

• 3 months later...

Holy Cow!!! When I saw this topic I assumed I was going to see carnage and a cautionary tale as to why it only seems like a good idea to make make major mods yourself in the basement! I agree with the other posters that this came out extremely well. I fear you've emboldened cadre of eggheads such as myself with with you're remarkable dremel artistry.

I've been toying with the idea of a self-service relume myself, despite having read the discussions elsewhere on this forum advising that it be left to pro's like The Zigmeister. I haven't seen many pics of re-lume jobs gone wrong though. Any chance that you would post a pic of the dial that you made the attempt on?

Additionally, you wrote "I've had a bit of a fart about with the pearl, relumed it and relumed the hands." Does this mean that you re-lumed the pearl and hands yourself? If so its an incredibly nice job.

It looks fine, except for the misaligned date. As far as accuracy to gen, size for case fitting isn't the only way the 42 dial differs from the 45. Most notably, the right edge of the date window should be right up against the 3 o'clock marker on the 42, noticeably more to the right than on the 45. Good worksmanship though.

The more I study this the more convinced I am that it is a 45mm. If you notice the "Swiss Made" at the bottom of the dial you will notice that it is sitting exactly where it should be. I know the Silix dial is slightly bigger than the UPO dial, and would need to be shaved down slightly. This obviously isn't an UPO, but it may be a first gen 45, or possibly an asian 45mm. But I am certain it isn't a 42mm.

• 2 months later...

both dial from the 42 and 45 should be the same size, is the casing that is different.

I have the original hands that I brought and never installed. Anyone want to trade as I really need the 45mm hands instead.

Please not the hands on the 2 different sizes are slightly different.