When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question: How do you keep your watches safe?

arty909

Greetings to all.

My SUV was broken into a few weeks ago- the thief smashed my passenger side window, took my $300 radar detector, $350 Oakleys and case, and my $85 Braun electric razor. I contributed to the crime by leaving the radar attatched to the windshield, I know that. The rest of the vehicle was just ransacked for anything else of value. Insurance covered window repair, and was fixed the next day.

But ever since then, I have had a feeling of insecurity in my home- should I invest in a security system (ADT etc.), or hide my watch collection in a closest? How about a safe? Bank safety deposit box? What do you guys do? Yes they are only reps, but I was thinking about how much I've spent so far and would hate to have to do it all over again. Your insight is appreciated.

Best, Arty

Greetings to all.

My SUV was broken into a few weeks ago- the thief smashed my passenger side window, took my $300 radar detector, $350 Oakleys and case, and my $85 Braun electric razor. I contributed to the crime by leaving the radar attatched to the windshield, I know that. The rest of the vehicle was just ransacked for anything else of value. Insurance covered window repair, and was fixed the next day.

But ever since then, I have had a feeling of insecurity in my home- should I invest in a security system (ADT etc.), or hide my watch collection in a closest? How about a safe? Bank safety deposit box? What do you guys do? Yes they are only reps, but I was thinking about how much I've spent so far and would hate to have to do it all over again. Your insight is appreciated.

Best, Arty

I don't lock mine up; not even my gens. I kow that it is probably bad practice, but I keep mine in a 8+12 winder on my dresser. One of my best friends had a gen Chronomat stolen from his home, and I still do this.

Buy a gun,just kidding.

My advice is buy a dog a german shepard,Rottweiler,Pitbull terrier is a NO NO they er wimp dogs when it comes to guard work i have also on my suggestion list mallonois,Cane Corso all great familiy dogs but also tuff guard dogs..

And they will stick by you for life and if needed give their life for you..

Dogs are probably the best deterrent. Who wants to get bit on the ass? They have to be inside the house, though. Alarms are deterrents as well but the thief knows they will have a few minutes before anyone pays it any attention, in most neighborhoods. If you get an alarm make sure it has a bell on the outside of the house. Ours doesn't and you can't hear the alarm going off if you're standing on the sidewalk in front of the house.

An ADT yard sign is a big deterrent even if you don't have the system installed. You can buy them on EBay for about $20 bucks. It is VERY rare that a home with a security system gets broken into on a block where not all houses have them. Displaying the sign in front of your house will make would be burglars move on to the next house.

Dogs are probably the best deterrent. Who wants to get bit on the ass? They have to be inside the house, though. Alarms are deterrents as well but the thief knows they will have a few minutes before anyone pays it any attention, in most neighborhoods. If you get an alarm make sure it has a bell on the outside of the house. Ours doesn't and you can't hear the alarm going off if you're standing on the sidewalk in front of the house.

Doc- we've got the dog issue covered- but my 'arsenal' includes a Pembroke Welsh Corgi- the fiercest of the bunch, honestly, and two Foxhound Terriers both of whom would probably sniff and lick the would-be criminal to death. We are considering the alarm and I'll make sure to get a loud one per your advice- thanks. Arty

An ADT yard sign is a big deterrent even if you don't have the system installed. You can buy them on EBay for about $20 bucks. It is VERY rare that a home with a security system gets broken into on a block where not all houses have them. Displaying the sign in front of your house will make would be burglars move on to the next house.

Chief- I am thinking you are right on the money! I've considered this before but always been weary that the 'ADT police' are patrolling neighborhoods and confiscating such false advertisements. I will re-consider. Thanks Pal, Arty

Best -- I store the most important valuables in a bank safety deposit box.

Next best -- Get a heavy (read: expensive) safe and have it professionally bolted to the floor/wall joists in a basement or hall closet. Then, DO NOT tell ANYONE that you have the safe. Not even close friends or relatives.

Reasonable -- Get a small safe or lockable box & keep it in the back of a bathroom or kitchen cabinet. Somewhere out of the way, but still accessible so you can get to things without having to dig up the yard or unplaster a wall. The first places a drug-crazed thief will look for valuables are your living room and bedroom. So do not store valuables there. Instead, think logically & keep the real stuff where they are least likely to search for it. I keep a small, cheap (easily carried away) safe in my bedroom closet in almost plain view. It contains one dozen, extra large eggs that I put there in the late 1980s (they ought to be just about ready by now).

There is little you can do to stop professional thieves. But they will not target you unless someone tells them what you have. So remember that loose lips sink ships. If you keep the details of your valuables and security tactics to yourself, you should be fine.

I'm a custom jeweler and work out of a private studio. When my studio was in the city I had three attempted burglaries and one attempted robbery. There is a loaded pistol in the safe and one in the bench. Every attempt was foiled not by the gun but by the dogs, save one. I was moving my studio next to my house in the country and had already moved the dogs,,,,,,,,,,,, a shame. My wife and I have both White Sheppard and Pit bull. I do have to agree with Dani, the Sheppard is scarier. The pit is very defensive about us, the Sheppard is defensive over her property as well. During the robbery they got the drop on me but the Sheppard had no hesitation pulling the trigger; and she was loaded to the teeth. Took on two teens, who were fortunate I regained control of her. BTW the one successful burglary really wasn

Chief- I am thinking you are right on the money! I've considered this before but always been weary that the 'ADT police' are patrolling neighborhoods and confiscating such false advertisements. I will re-consider. Thanks Pal, Arty

There are no ADT police, and even if there were they would have no authority to steal property from you - not in the United States anyhow.

I'm a custom jeweler and work out of a private studio. When my studio was in the city I had three attempted burglaries and one attempted robbery. There is a loaded pistol in the safe and one in the bench. Every attempt was foiled not by the gun but by the dogs, save one. I was moving my studio next to my house in the country and had already moved the dogs,,,,,,,,,,,, a shame. My wife and I have both White Sheppard and Pit bull. I do have to agree with Dani, the Sheppard is scarier. The pit is very defensive about us, the Sheppard is defensive over her property as well. During the robbery they got the drop on me but the Sheppard had no hesitation pulling the trigger; and she was loaded to the teeth. Took on two teens, who were fortunate I regained control of her. BTW the one successful burglary really wasn

-security system

-dogs

to protect the watches.

Hmm, interesting.

Your expenses to protect them are gonna be bigger than their value.

Plus, i would buy a dog or install a security system for my own life* protection primarily.

Well, maybe i'm too sentimental after all...

Edited by spa

I got a cat!

:1a:

Some people hide their valuables in the refrigerator, including a Louisiana congressman or two I could mention...

My family have several bank vaults -- one for documents, passports, etc. and one for each member of the family to put in whatever they want inside, known only to them.

I won't say where I keep all those reps and gens I have, but just let's say, they're well-hidden.

finished.jpg

Buy a gun,just kidding.

My advice is buy a dog a german shepard,Rottweiler,Pitbull terrier is a NO NO they er wimp dogs when it comes to guard work i have also on my suggestion list mallonois,Cane Corso all great familiy dogs but also tuff guard dogs..

And they will stick by you for life and if needed give their life for you..

I absolutely agree 100% My absolute first choice dog (hopefully, I'll be able to have one oneday)

With friends, family and kids, you get this:

rottweiler.jpg

If someone tries to [censored] with said friends, family and kids, they get this:

Angry_Rottweiler_01.jpg

I plan on starting off with one of these:

218775~Rottweiler-Puppy-Posters.jpg

Edited by TeeJay

-security system

-dogs

to protect the watches.

Hmm, interesting.

Your expenses to protect them are gonna be bigger than their value.

Plus, i would buy a dog or install a security system for my own life* protection primarily.

Well, maybe i'm too sentimental after all...

This may be true for you, but when it comes to someone with several thousand invested in watches...... :g: Gotta think of something.......we're not living in the 50's anymore. This is 2008 the year of Me Me Me...what can I do to please me....mmm drugs!!!!!!

I like the dog idea.....except I have a dog already that pees on herself when she sees strangers........so I don't think she will "play" well with a new mean watch dog. I guess I am stuck with the ole ADT sign and Beware of Rotti sign. I also like the cheap safe in plane view idea and I love the rotten eggs inside.

BUT...if they come in when I am there....."Say hello to my little friend"!!! :yeah: Or to put it another way=I will have to call 911 and tell them a church goer has just entered my house.

The 911 call will sound like this:

911- Hello 911 what is your emergency sir?

Me- You better hurry up and get here there is a Holy man in my house.

911- Sir that doesn't seem like a Police emergency.

Me- Well he wasn't holy before he came in my house...and oh yeah bring some sponges and bleach. See you soon.

Doc- we've got the dog issue covered- but my 'arsenal' includes a Pembroke Welsh Corgi- the fiercest of the bunch, honestly, and two Foxhound Terriers both of whom would probably sniff and lick the would-be criminal to death. We are considering the alarm and I'll make sure to get a loud one per your advice- thanks. Arty

Pembroke Welsh Corgis' are cool. See avatar at left.

Buy a safe! Get a quality item like a Cannon, Liberty, Browning, etc... Get as big a safe as you can afford, becuase you WILL fill it up! Also a big safe is a deterrent to a thief due to the size. I have said before if a thief can pick my safe up and take it, then he can have it, because he is definately a bad ass! (Just kidding about that one!)

About the dog; any dog is a good idea as long it will BARK when something alarms it. It dosen't have to be a huge ass-chewer, but if it barks and lets the intruder know that something is in the house that could bite him or cause him to get noticed by someone else he may think twice. Just my two cents...