When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How AD's sucker you

subzero1

OK, so I went to the mall today to exchange some really bad christmas presents. While there I passed by a pretty big watch store and decided to stop in. Was wearing my Breitling ultimate evo and they happened to be breitling dealers, along w/Panerai, Cartier, Tag, Chopard, Corum, Rolex, Patek Philipe, Gerrard Perrigaux, Maurice Lacroix, and a few others. Mainly I wanted to check out Panerai. I was amazed at how awesome the Panerai's looked, particularly compared to my memory of how my reps at home looked.

I wandered around and saw the breitling display, tons of watches, including many evo's. Looking at them they looked AWESOME, much better than what I am accustomed to seeing at home w/my four ultimate evo's. Just as I was about to write off reps entirely I discreetly put my wrist on the counter to check out my own grey/black evo. Shockingly, it looked AWESOME as well. It looked much, much better than I've ever seen it look before.

Then it hit me. The lighting in this store is rigged to make watches and jewelry look their absolute best. It makes sense, as the are in the business of selling sparkly things. So, moral of the story is next time you go to an AD, don't automatically assume that the watches on display there "trounce" your reps. A LOT of the impression of quality comes from the lighting and presentation.

Luckily the store was deserted and I was able to abscond w/out any of the salespeople taking too much interest in what I had on my wrist. Generally I try to avoid going into watch stores that sell the brand of rep I might be wearing at that moment.

The same method is used to display MEAT, in the supermarket, or butchers shop.

Its called MARKETING.

Or is it called "Flogging a dead horse" ? :D

Well I have an expensive solution to your watches looking better at the jewelry store. Just redo your whole house with low voltage halogen. :laugh: They are a pain in the neck to change the bulb (you need to wear gloves) but all your watches will always look better. :good: When I redid my home I did change it all over and it even lowers your electric bill. That AD is not just using that lighting to make his wares look better. It is also reducing his electric bill.

PS It also makes your wife's jewelry look whiter. :clap:

Its called MARKETING.

Nope, it's called ADVERTISING. There's a difference. ;)

Ummm...

Scoop...

Totally disappointed in you... ;)

"Advertising" is a part of Marketing...

So indeed the "Lighting" could be [and is] considered "Marketing"...

Here is the USA we call it "The Display"...

Advertising is really the part of the Marketing Campaign that brings the customer into the Store...

Double T

PS: I'll quote one of your famous sources: :D

Wikipedia

Marketing is a societal process that is needed to discern consumers' wants; focusing on a product/service to those wants, and to mould the consumers towards the products/services. Marketing is fundamental to any businesses growth. The marketing teams (Marketers) have the task to create the consumer awareness of the products/services through marketing techniques; if a business does not pay attention to their products/services and their consumers' demographics, the business would not be able to endure longevity.

Marketing tends to be seen as a creative industry, which includes advertising, distribution and selling. It is also concerned with anticipating the customers' future needs and wants, often through market research.

Advertising is a one-way communication whose purpose is to inform potential customers about products and services and how to obtain them. Every major medium is used to deliver these messages, including: television, radio, movies, magazines, newspapers, video games, the Internet (see Internet advertising), and billboards. Advertising is often placed by an advertising agency on behalf of a company.

Advertisements can also be seen on the seats of grocery carts, on the walls of an airport walkway, on the sides of buses, heard in telephone hold messages and in-store public address systems. Advertisements are usually placed anywhere an audience can easily and/or frequently access visuals and/or audio.

Ummm...

Scoop...

I still don't consider the shop lighting Marketing. ;)

While my statement that it's advertising isn't accurate (That one I admit freely. ;)), you quoted Wikipedia best here: Marketing is a societal process. To be honest, I could be wrong about this and I don't care enough about my stance to stand and fight it, but I don't consider a butcher putting an apron on to be marketing, either, and that's the same thing. I reckon that people who really cared passionately about the subject could argue away for weeks and still not be any more convinced either way.

I'll chalk this one down as ambiguous.

ps. It's still not marketing. ;)

Ummm...

Scoop...

"Advertising" is a part of Marketing...

So indeed the "Lighting" could be [and is] considered "Marketing"...

Here is the USA we call it "The Display"...

Advertising is really the part of the Marketing Campaign that brings the customer into the Store...

Double T

PS: I'll quote one of your famous sources: :D

Wikipedia

Marketing is a societal process that is needed to discern consumers' wants; focusing on a product/service to those wants, and to mould the consumers towards the products/services. Marketing is fundamental to any businesses growth. The marketing teams (Marketers) have the task to create the consumer awareness of the products/services through marketing techniques; if a business does not pay attention to their products/services and their consumers' demographics, the business would not be able to endure longevity.

Marketing tends to be seen as a creative industry, which includes advertising, distribution and selling. It is also concerned with anticipating the customers' future needs and wants, often through market research.

Advertising is a one-way communication whose purpose is to inform potential customers about products and services and how to obtain them. Every major medium is used to deliver these messages, including: television, radio, movies, magazines, newspapers, video games, the Internet (see Internet advertising), and billboards. Advertising is often placed by an advertising agency on behalf of a company.

Advertisements can also be seen on the seats of grocery carts, on the walls of an airport walkway, on the sides of buses, heard in telephone hold messages and in-store public address systems. Advertisements are usually placed anywhere an audience can easily and/or frequently access visuals and/or audio.

Excellent reply and I need not do the work. Must be a marketeer huh?

The lighting in most ADs makes watches in the store sparkle

k505_rolex_yachtmaster_16622_5.jpg

And while this type of lighting makes all watches generally more attractive & eye-catching, it will not make the generally low luster metals used on most rep watches glimmer & sparkle like the finely polished finishes found on most gen watches. And no matter of lighting can make stainless steel (used on rep watches in place of precious metal) reflect light the same way that white gold does.

Well the part that sparkles in white gold is rhodium isn't it? It should be possible to plate SS with rhodium...hmmm...

Sure. As long as you use the same quality rhodium as used on the gen & completely cover the underlying steel, the two should then look similar. But unless you refinish the underlying steel (before plating it), it will not reflect light the same way the gen does. Take the bracelet from a Daytona 1165xx into any AD and compare the finish of the polished center sections to the same area on the gen bracelet (it is the same for all rep watches, but I used the Daytona as an example because I am much more familiar with the issue as it relates to this particular model). You will immediately see what I am talking about.

Some people have commented that my 116520 looks too chrome-like

pinkjeans0091.jpg

But it looks that way because I have polished the bezel (dremel with green rouge) to remove most of the surface imperfections (small pits & waviness in the metal) that exist in rep watches (this is one of the differences between the metal used to make a $250 rep & the higher quality metal & finish used for an $8,000 gen). After polishing, the bezel more closely matches the bezel on the gen watch. But it will never look exactly the same because the metals are of differing qualities (316L stainless steel (at best) for the rep & 904L, which contains less nickel, in current gens). I have yet to do the center portions of the bracelet (maybe this weekend).

Ask someone in marketing and they'll tell you the janitor cleaning their office is part of marketing. :bleh:

Presentation, Marketing, you couldnt slide a razor blade between the two for a difference.

The bottom line is all these products are artificially enhanced to promote their so called highlights.

I agree that Display is a better term. ( even if falsely displayed).

Simple , deceitful ways to part you from your hard earned.

Call it what you may, its still a con.