When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My franken 1680

Ptolomeo

My Franken Rolex 1680 (red submariner) by Tribal

Leonardo: A classical artist, an italian visionary:

leonardo.jpg

His creation:

ML.jpg

Tribal: Our own artist, a german genius:

Tribal.jpg

And his creation:

IMG_2918.JPG

Today, both works of art have met:

IMG_3035.JPG

IMG_2986.JPG

IMG_2991.JPG

IMG_3007.JPG

IMG_3027.JPG

But, let me show you the origin of our story:

By-Tor.jpg

(pic by my good friend ByTor)

I had read this review as I always do with all the reviews BT writes... with real pleasure; but vintage Rolex never had my attention... until an autumn evening. I was trying to keep the pleasure that modded Panerais had given to me during last year, when it so happened that I read again the BT's review and something different exploited inside me. I didn't sleep that night, reading all the great reviews of our friends' franken vintage Rolex.

Some examples of the best of them ("Son todos los que est

This thread is something of a celebration for vintage rolex collectors- I always enjoy learning about how others came to value these watches personally, as it's different for all of us...and yet in each story there is that same element of magic that unifies those that go on the mod journey.

It's funny, because I was just thinking about how there isn't enough enthusiasm for some of these pieces- like Ptolomeo's sub update thread and the amazing 1665 that was reviewed just now on the board. But I am quite sure that the enthusiasm is genuine for the owners. The process of putting one of these together is something of a transformative experience, learning about the construction of the vintage genuines, and making decisions about the relative value of gen parts in doing mods.

It's a more thorough and immersive experience in owning a watch, if you ask me. More interesting, and requiring more knowledge about the genuine rolex market than is required of other rep brands, and as a result, closer to the 'experience' of being a gen owner. Only in the sense that most of your parts are coming from genuine pieces with a unique history. The reps have the unique characteristic of often being a mismatch of parts from different watches or sources, which combine to give them their appropriate name: Franken. I actually ended up talking with an overly friendly guy who sold me one of my gen inserts and endlinks on the phone, not necessarily expected, but some interesting history. It's that type of history that gives them their character- the moderns have little appeal to me for exactly that reason.

Anyways, an amazing review, and a great example of one of the most legendary watches of all time. I almost picked up a re-dialed red sub dial the other day, but decided against it...I think they're called red watches cause they get into your blood. :lol:

Just so you know, you're the one I hold responsible for my inevitable bezel upgrade. ;) - you can help me come up with how to get the package in the door without her awareness...

I love your watch. I came sooo close to doing exactly what you did, by going with a red sub with a much better dial. If I go with another one, then I'm pretty sure it would be this or the Explorer II, and I've heard the Explorers are bloody expensive.

Great post man!

I'm glad my review "pushed" you to get your own. These MBW's already have a cult following, and people are passionate about them. So I'm not agreeing with mezz this time. There definitely IS enough enthusiasm, it's just that the old gang Palpatine, Sherrington, Repaustria, Eunomians, Ubi, et al. have been quite inactive in the forums lately.

But you guys (along with Stephane) prove that new ones will replace the old. Keep the posts coming, this was very enjoayble to read.

Great watch for sure. Enjoy!

Just so you know, you're the one I hold responsible for my inevitable bezel upgrade. ;) - you can help me come up with how to get the package in the door without her awareness...

:whistling:

Have you found a good one? Mine was expensive. It's the part I'm not sure if worths the prize

Great post man!

I'm glad my review "pushed" you to get your own. These MBW's already have a cult following, and people are passionate about them. So I'm not agreeing with mezz this time. There definitely IS enough enthusiasm, it's just that the old gang Palpatine, Sherrington, Repaustria, Eunomians, Ubi, et al. have been quite inactive in the forums lately.

But you guys (along with Stephane) prove that new ones will replace the old. Keep the posts coming, this was very enjoayble to read.

Thanks, master

Great post man!

By-Tor, it's funny, cause I was thinking about that comment, and I realized that these are new to us, rather than new to the community, and that perhaps there's something of an anti-climactic feeling as a poster when something as 'new' and 'surprising' as these watches seem to the owner bumps up against that realization. It's a little different for me, in terms of my experience, because most of my other rep purchases have been relatively newly released super-reps, which usually generate a fair amount of interest due to their novelty in the market.

Especially in my case, where both of my watches came from other members already completed (mostly). Even then, I still went on a journey in terms of the time involved- I basically got totally prepped to mod two MBK's of my own, loaded up on parts, and then decided it just made more sense to buy them already completed.

When you're receiving a used watch, it's a strange feeling, in the sense that the 'newness' is totally unperturbed by the fact it's been previously owned.

Ptolomeo,

I'm not sure what type of deal I could get...I'm kind of in the habit of just watching now a couple of sources, and if I was to cross a reasonable deal, I'd pull the trigger on a gen bezel.

I keep my eyes open for a good red sub re-dial, and I would probably embark on another project....can't do it with the MBW dials...

By-Tor, it's funny, cause I was thinking about that comment, and I realized that these are new to us, rather than new to the community, and that perhaps there's something of an anti-climactic feeling as a poster when something as 'new' and 'surprising' as these watches seem to the owner bumps up against that realization.

These reps are very old, and they have been around for so long time. Members own lots of beautiful modified MBW's... and over the years there have been dozens (if not hundreds) of pictorials and discussions about them. So I'm not surprised if the feedback for the MBW threads leave something to be desired. Even the excellent ones. I think Stephane noticed this too.

When I have posted reviews of modded watches (like my Tudor MBW, or franken-ExpII), the response has been polite, but quite mild. Members get much more excited of the watches they can directly buy from a dealer.

Modified watches can be very nice (like this one), but they're always unique, and they're not potentially interesting from the buyer's point of view. At least not directly. That's probably the only reason for the low response.

PS:

Generally speaking, I think Rolex (as a brand) has taken a nose dive in popularity here. Sure, it's still the most popular brand, but the fact hasn't really changed: Most Rolex reps that surface aren't that great.... including the highly anticipated "Super" SeaDweller. The only way to get a fundamentally correct Rolex rep is to build it around an expensive MBW, or very rare Noob factory ExpII/GMT, and do a lot of mods and weird tweaks. Most people can't/don't want to go to that route, which is understandable. The pics of the new and upcoming YM are quite inspiring though. Maybe there's something finally happening?

Nice post and congratulations on ure 1680 ... for me personally hands down my favorite rollie ... i also have the 1665 mbw that i received from the "master T" in December and is equally stunning but the 1680 fits me better and wears lighter on my wrist ...

enjoy it and wear it in good health !

regards Laz

Superb watch...and great writeup!!! Its the best Submariner out there.

I will be leting go these days an MBW red submariner...with gen Rolex plexi(hard to find) and a gen rolex bezel insert which is realy realy hard to find!

Spring bars gen rolex from datejust........etc

Btw its great for all of us to see such a beautyfull work!!Keep up!

Ptolomeo,

I'm not sure what type of deal I could get...I'm kind of in the habit of just watching now a couple of sources, and if I was to cross a reasonable deal, I'd pull the trigger on a gen bezel.

I keep my eyes open for a good red sub re-dial, and I would probably embark on another project....can't do it with the MBW dials...

Keep us informed of your search :)

Maybe there's something finally happening?

Are you sure? B)

Excellent review, great watch,

thank you for sharing,

Thanks you all for your kind words

Nice post and congratulations on ure 1680 ... for me personally hands down my favorite rollie ... i also have the 1665 mbw that i received from the "master T" in December and is equally stunning but the 1680 fits me better and wears lighter on my wrist ...

enjoy it and wear it in good health !

regards Laz

Maybe a 1665'll be my next franken... but, after looking at Torresp's one... :o

Superb watch...and great writeup!!! Its the best Submariner out there.

I will be leting go these days an MBW red submariner...with gen Rolex plexi(hard to find) and a gen rolex bezel insert which is realy realy hard to find!

Spring bars gen rolex from datejust........etc

Btw its great for all of us to see such a beautyfull work!!Keep up!

Thanks, mate

This thread inspired me to take a few more pics of my own, to add the review that Ptolomeo included in his compendium of all things 1680. I can't stop staring at this watch- it's so perfect ergonomically and aesthetically with the gen dial and parts:

You've got a beauty there, my friend. If you ever want to sell it, just let me know first :D

Wow, how the hell could I miss this thread.

:bangin:

1) Beautifull watch

2) Congrats for your patience in finding all the parts

3) Tribal's art is stunning

4) Wonderfull photos

BUT

More than anything else, thanks for the time you spent in posting such a very nice thread.

Very nice to read.

:clap2:

Cheers

Stephane

PS: for your records, my red is Edge's RED. The final version he made.

RolexSubmariner1680Red_Edge_arrival.jpg

Wow, how the hell could I miss this thread.

:bangin:

1) Beautifull watch

2) Congrats for your patience in finding all the parts

3) Tribal's art is stunning

4) Wonderfull photos

BUT

More than anything else, thanks for the time you spent in posting such a very nice thread.

Very nice to read.

:clap2:

Cheers

Stephane

PS: for your records, my red is Edge's RED. The final version he made.

Thanks, Stephane.

Updated with the info about your beauty.

Here's my SubDweller.......

Great post and Awesome work on the Mods......A true work of art!

Thanks. Is there any review of yours? It's look great!!