When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

dealers getting angry at customers?

arminvanbuuren

yeah teejay i know that he doesn't need my money.. i already pointed that out to him.. infact i already told him that i know he doesn't need my $108.. it's probably jsut like a pocket money to him.. but it meant alot to me.. so if he could refund it, i could probably give it to other dealers that would appreciate my money more.. but hey once they got the money in their hand they wouldn't give it back..

and you're right in the future i don't think i will go back to this dealer.. it's not because i'm threatening.. it's just that the more i bought from him the worst he treats me... and i ain't kidding about this but the first time i bought from him service was perfect (as what most people said about him in this board).. 2nd time bezel insert fell off and he was still good, and sent me a replacement.. then markers fell off told me to return.. then pearl came off beginmariner while wearing, asked me to pay 5$ for the replacement, then sent me an empty box but didn't believe me so i had to go through all sorts of trouble to prove to him that i wasn't lying, and now shouted at me for inquiring.. it's just getting on my nerves that with every transactions his service becomes worst.. and yet people on the board claims this guy to be RWG 'GOD' for his immaculate service?

I know what you mean, it's not a case of threatening, it's just a case of choosing to do business with someone who'll treat you with the respect due. I admit, if someone tries that 'Customer is always right' attitude with me, then they get told to jog on. I've always treated customers (and now I'm self-employed, clients) with the respect due to them. Here's my take on how people should treat their customers/clients...

1st transaction:

Courteous, polite, professional. Person gets item/service as specified, at the 'shelf price' specified.

Regular Clints:

As above, courteous, polite, professional, but, with less professional reserve, and occasionally, for example, if they're making a big spend, it doesn't hurt to knock something off the price.

Frequent Regular Clients:

Courteous, polite, professional, but going into more personal issues in conversation, rather than just 'the business at hand'. Discounts as appropriate, especially if spending a lot. Willingness to extend other favors to the client (ie sourcing unusual item, or holding stock)

Of course, many would say that there are people who provide the 3rd level of service to even a new client, and that is fantastic. The only problem I find with such practices, from my own point of view, is that a new client, receiving such treatment from day one, will continue to always expect it. Discounts should be given at seller's discretion, not client request or expectation. A truly 'good client', will not expect to get a discount every time they come in, but be greatful if it is granted. Even frequent clients can go down in my estimation if they do make impositions such as requesting discount or preferential treatment. Something I've always told the staff working under me, is that the 'good customers', the 'regular customers', will never point out that they are 'good customers', or how much they've spent.

It's a shame to hear that your dealer's standard of service slipped so much after your initial purchase, it certainly doesn't put them in a good light. If anything, I've found a dealer's standard of service increases with time... Time for a new dealer indeed, my friend...

I know that I'm going to come across as a jerk, but I can't get over some of the attitude of some folks when it comes to buying a rep. When you're working with a dealer, that's one thing, cause I guess they're incentivized to deal with the neuroticism of folks who need to check the tracking number 20 times per day.

Don't try to make it out to be about anything other than your own inability to defer gratification. It has nothing to do with a lack of professionalism on the part of the dealer, unless they express their distaste for that type of sales transaction like it sounds like happened in this case.

This is a hot issue for some folks who have had to do more in the way of watch transactions than what it sounds like the scope of this thread intends.

It drives me nuts.

Here's a question:

Is it a dealer (or seller's) job to walk a RWG'er through a transaction with the expectation that they are to be at the beckon call of neurotic buyers who need to know the hourly update on their tracking information? Is that part of the responsibility of the seller?

Cause I think it's ridiculous, and it's why I would rather deal with an established forum member if at all possible, who isn't wound up tighter than a coiled spring at the idea of having a few hundred dollars in transit.

mm hmm.. i hope so too.. but i'm sure it will get resolved EVENTUALLY.. eventhough i paid premium price compared to other dealer for this dealer's (QUICK, OMGOMGOMG FASTEST service IN THE WORLD) but still it's slower than if i bought from other people and a lil bit of abuse too that is..

Have to admit, that's not good... Okay, sometimes a mistake can be made and something can be sent by the alternate (slower) service, we're all human, we all make mistakes, but, it's usually apologized for and rectified by some kind of compensation, and even then, the goods should still arrive within the timeframe specified for the alternate service... I'd be more put off by the dealer's abusive comment rather than shipping delays (which could be down to human error), but abuse is never 'accidental'.

I know that I'm going to come across as a jerk, but I can't get over some of the attitude of some folks when it comes to buying a rep. When you're working with a dealer, that's one thing, cause I guess they're incentivized to deal with the neuroticism of folks who need to check the tracking number 20 times per day.

Don't try to make it out to be about anything other than your own inability to defer gratification. It has nothing to do with a lack of professionalism on the part of the dealer, unless they express their distaste for that type of sales transaction like it sounds like happened in this case.

As I said, people are brought up with, and brainwashed by businesses and shops which bend over backward to accomodate their whims to retain them as customers, and that is harmfull to both customers (who come to expect such treatment) and retailers (who have to then deal with customers expecting such treatment).

I think anyone has the right to be dealt with in a courteous and professional manner, as a matter of simple manners, regardless if it's their first transaction or their hundredth. As I said above, the amount of personal interaction (beyond the matter of the business being transacted) and potential discounts given, depends on the length of time the person has been a client, but, even a new client deserves to be dealt with professionally, and, if I may revise my statement, should not be left feeling that they were 'just another customer'. I'm not saying someone should fawn over and kiss the ass of a new client, but neither should they be off-hand or dismissive of them.

There does seem to be a certain amount of people on the forums who forget that they are dealing with illicit goods from non-standard sources. Sure, that does not entitle the dealer to be off-hand or pull shady tricks, but, it does mean that the buyers need to ask the right questions, rather than complain that what they receive, is not what they expected it to be (ie they expect more of the item than would be reasonable) and of course, buyer beware...

Is it a dealer (or seller's) job to walk a RWG'er through a transaction with the expectation that they are to be at the beckon call of neurotic buyers who need to know the hourly update on their tracking information? Is that part of the responsibility of the seller?

Of course it's not. If they do, then all the power to them for their level of service, but, it certainly shouldn't become expected, as I illustrated above, by reference to frequent clients, who start to expect, or even ask for, preferential treatment.

Cause I think it's ridiculous, and it's why I would rather deal with an established forum member if at all possible, who isn't wound up tighter than a coiled spring at the idea of having a few hundred dollars in transit.

Who are you meaning would be wound up by the money? I wouldn't expect an established trader to be concerned about the money, as they would have enough in other sales to easily compensate someone for a problem, where a private seller might be someone who needs the cash, makes the sale, uses it, and might be unable to immediately refund it should a problem arise. The buyer certainly has the right to be concerned about their money, afterall, they had to work had to earn it, but, there is indeed a line between reasonable and unreasonable expectations in terms of being reassured (or to use a more accurate term 'molly-coddled') by a dealer. I'm not sure who I'd be more concerned about trying to get a refund back from... The private sale, where the funds might not be so readily available, or the established dealer who does not need to really worry about negative publicity... In the year I've been buying reps, I've only once been in the situation to have to call a deal off due to poor response from the dealer, and even then, I asked that they donate the cost of the deal to charity rather than refund it (possibly out of concern that the refund process might have been equally delayed, possibly because I was not so worried about the amount in the Big Picture...)

exactly.. what got on my nerves is that he became abusive to me.. i just asked him to check.. i mean there is no big deal with that right? if there is a delay or something they can just say hey man there is a delay.. instead of telling me to leave him alone..

and as to tracking numbers 20 times a day.. it's been 2 days since i had it and it still not updated.. and it was my first inquiry like i said.. i don't think i should get flamed for this right?

TeeJay, I agree with your most of your points. Interestingly, some of these themes seem to have come up in the thread that The Zigmeister just made, talking about some of the abuses of his service that have caused him to have to scale back and be more selective.

I think one of the big distinctions is between dealers and 'sellers'. I have found as a somewhat active 'seller', that the expectation is actually higher than it is if it were a dealer/buyer transaction. It's part of a dealer's business model and the set of expectations they're required to meet to have to deal with problems and with communication with all of their buyers. But what I'm wondering, is whether my own 'snap-shot' of experience as a 'seller' may give me enough of a glimpse into what they might experience to wonder whether they couldn't tell some horror stories that would curl your toes...

The post that The Zigmeister just made would seem to support that conclusion. I think it's a by-product of the internet as a means of doing commerce. It's totally impersonal, so people lose any sense of self-awareness or social sense of discretion when it comes to respecting other people's time and energy.

The issue of a buyer's rights, when it comes down to their anxiety about having money 'in transit' is central to the discussion. I'm not going to say much, and I am only talking here in generalities, but I have had the experience of a buyer who was anxious about their watch arriving quickly say that they were uncomfortable that with their package is floating in the 'ether'. They lose the cognitive ability to understand that there isn't anything wrong, just because they can't see the package in transit.

is it a dealer (or seller's) job to walk a RWG'er through a transaction with the expectation that they are to be at the beckon call of neurotic buyers who need to know the hourly update on their tracking information? Is that part of the responsibility of the seller?

Absolutley not but in this case this buyer simply asked if there was a delay. That isn't too much to ask for is it??

Not just you but anyone can say what you want, the dealers on this board are definitely not the best in being friendly during the after purchase questions. They are extremely nice during the buying phase but after, some seem to lose that special service touch they so brag about. I guess it is just a learning curve on who you feel comfortable dealing with. I am still a noob but have found that Angus seems to be the easiest to buy from in my early going ons.

Good luck bro and hopefully you find someone you feel great dealing with!

Absolutley not but in this case this buyer simply asked if there was a delay. That isn't too much to ask for is it??

Not just you but anyone can say what you want, the dealers on this board are definitely not the best in being friendly during the after purchase questions. They are extremely nice during the buying phase but after, some seem to lose that special service touch they so brag about. I guess it is just a learning curve on who you feel comfortable dealing with. I am still a noob but have found that Angus seems to be the easiest to buy from in my early going ons.

Good luck bro and hopefully you find someone you feel great dealing with!

thanks man.. yeah like you said it's not about the delay.. i'm [censored] about his response!!! but yeah hopefully everything goes well from now on..

I think I read somewhere on the Board that Eddie quit selling reps widespread due to the hassle and perhaps this same hassle and stress is hitting some of the other sellers. Don't get me wrong, I value and expect customer service as much as the other person but it may be that many on the Board and other purchasers are wearing down the sellers.

If a watch arrives with major issues such as I have read on the HBB, then I think the seller deserves to hear that the customer is unhappy but I think that perhaps many purchasers are not professional with their e-mails. Yes sometimes the watch we receive has an issue and as buyers we are disappointed, perhaps too much as we have got our hopes up, but sending poorly worded e-mails can end a relationship very quickly. We buyers need to remain respectful and professional in our e-mails (old saying: you get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar) and then receive back the same respect and professional responses.

I also think that many of us buyers may be expecting too much. Slight alignments and minor small issues need to be examined in light of the cost of the item. Despite the profit we may see more sellers leave as the hassle just is not worth it despite the profit. Perhaps we need a code of conduct and or better communication from sellers on their web sites (ie: If it is going to take 2-3 days for an item to show up on EMS tracking tell the buyer this up front). My advise to minimize problems is as follows:

Sellers:

Check the watch before you send it ( I know many do but many don't). Why waste your time and the buyers time sending something that obviously did not work or had visual problems from the get go!! Also double check that it is the watch the customer ordered!!

Communicate in e-mail and web site on reoccurring questions from customers. If you get the same question "as to why nothing shows up on EMS tracking for 2-3 days" then add it to an order e-mail so folks know!!

Buyers:

If you get a watch or watches with a problem or the wrong watch send a professional e-mail outlining the problem with no smart comments or inappropriate language. If the seller is smart back still stay respectful in the next e-mail as it may just be a bad day or the seller thinks your trying to pull something. I have received smart e-mails back and have remained respectful and eventually the person on the other end will come to understand that you are simply trying to resolve the issue in a amicable manner. If not chalk it up to experience, this seller is not going to be around long anyway if he/she treats everyone that same way.

Anyway it is common sense (or Uncommon sense) but sometimes we all need to be reminded: Treat others as you would like to be treated.

My 2 cents!!

TimeShare

@Armin....I advise all my customers NOT to use WU.....waay too epxpensive......but what are you gonna do when NOBODY takes Paypal....same with Moneybookers....they're using the same tacticsnow as PP.......!

Here's what you do......Moneygram.....!

I presume you are in Australia.....here's the skinny on payments from OZ ...thru' Moneygram

HOW MUCH

Pricing Result

Country Sending From : AUSTRALIA

Country Sending To : THAILAND

Service : 10 Minute Service

Send Amount : 108.00 Australian Dollar

Fee Amount : 20.00 Australian Dollar

Total Amount : 128.00 Australian Dollar

Receive Amount : 3,105.88 Baht

Estimated exchange rate : 1 Australian Dollar = 28.758175 Baht

This is for money transfers made from MoneyGram agent locations only. Actual prices may vary at some locations.

www.moneygram.com

regards

neil

@Armin....I advise all my customers NOT to use WU.....waay too epxpensive......but what are you gonna do when NOBODY takes Paypal....same with Moneybookers....they're using the same tacticsnow as PP.......!

Here's what you do......Moneygram.....!

I presume you are in Australia.....here's the skinny on payments from OZ ...thru' Moneygram

HOW MUCH

Pricing Result

Country Sending From : AUSTRALIA

Country Sending To : THAILAND

Service : 10 Minute Service

Send Amount : 108.00 Australian Dollar

Fee Amount : 20.00 Australian Dollar

Total Amount : 128.00 Australian Dollar

Receive Amount : 3,105.88 Baht

Estimated exchange rate : 1 Australian Dollar = 28.758175 Baht

This is for money transfers made from MoneyGram agent locations only. Actual prices may vary at some locations.

www.moneygram.com

regards

neil

how much is your noob yachtmaster in baht anyway?

how much is your noob yachtmaster in baht anyway?

All the info you require is in the Group Buy thread.....!

@richyman...!

I prefer paypal but understand whu some dealers don't use it....

It's not that I don't use it.....I can't use it.....I had 5x accounts closed last year....thanks to some 5th columnist onone of these fora.......PP won't let me use it......believe me ...I long for the days of Buy Now PP buttons.....NOTHING ....short of Angelina Jolie whispering in my ear about how she was going to ravish me....in the darkfor days on end......would give me more pleasure than being able to use PP again.....but I have more chance with AJ than PP.....t'aint gonna happen....times have changed.....most dealers will eventually stop using PP...not thru' choice....but by denial of service....we need to move on....Moneygram is a great option...as long as you trust your dealer....!

Edited by TTK

Moneygram may be a good thing, for those that can use it - but for now my closest agent is an hours bus ride away. Round trip would end up being 3 hours just to make a payment of under $100! Waiting patiently for them to take online payments...

Moneygram may be a good thing, for those that can use it - but for now my closest agent is an hours bus ride away. Round trip would end up being 3 hours just to make a payment of under $100! Waiting patiently for them to take online payments...

Newb question as I have never used Moneygram. This group dealy would be my first if I can get it right.

You can't use it over the internet? I was googling "moneygram" and it talks of internet transactions. It states $14 for a $78 transfer from US to Thailand same day. $10 economy (not acceptable in this buy I believe?). Help me out on this. I guess if all fails the net option, there is a bank nearby

Thanx in advance

Newb question as I have never used Moneygram. This group dealy would be my first if I can get it right.

You can't use it over the internet? I was googling "moneygram" and it talks of internet transactions. It states $14 for a $78 transfer from US to Thailand same day. $10 economy (not acceptable in this buy I believe?). Help me out on this. I guess if all fails the net option, there is a bank nearby

Thanx in advance

After readign this, I had another look at the moneygram website - and yes, you are right, you can send money online. But only if you are from the US. Looks like all other countries you have to visit a physical location to do it.

man why is it so hard to get a refund from this dealer :S.. he promised me it will be sent yesterday and today its still not posted.. and i wished i could have a refund so i can get it from TTK!!.. anyone here live in USA that can help me with moneygram? it seems like that moneygram is cheaper if it's sent from USA

Why can't you get past the Paypal thing....hundreds of other members manage to....?

There you go again. I thought he was talking about you for the longest time. Just based on his comments that the dealer does not care. Just when I realize that it is not you he is talking about, you chime in. And what do you say: Why can't you get over the Paypal thing? Not everybody handles things like you. But you think that we should, because in your mind you are always right. That is what got you into trouble at Repgeeks earlier today. Habe respect for your customers first, and then they will respect you. If you fail to respect them, you will be out of business. That's where I plan to put you, my friend. You said the wrong things to the wrong person for the last time.

@Yahoo

You need to put on the brakes...

brakesey6.jpg

You have a total of 3 posts on this Forum...

All 3 today and have been directed at a Dealer...

This is your ONE and ONLY warning...

Your personal vendetta is not welcome here...

Next negative post - "Say Good Night Gracie"...

Not personal, just don't need you starting flame fests here...

Double T

All the info you require is in the Group Buy thread.....!

@richyman...!

It's not that I don't use it.....I can't use it.....I had 5x accounts closed last year....thanks to some 5th columnist onone of these fora.......PP won't let me use it......believe me ...I long for the days of Buy Now PP buttons.....NOTHING ....short of Angelina Jolie whispering in my ear about how she was going to ravish me....in the darkfor days on end......would give me more pleasure than being able to use PP again.....but I have more chance with AJ than PP.....t'aint gonna happen....times have changed.....most dealers will eventually stop using PP...not thru' choice....but by denial of service....we need to move on....Moneygram is a great option...as long as you trust your dealer....!

I know why you can't use it Neil...so thats why I liked your Enrico-option( how is that for trusting you ;) ) , cause WU is much to expensive(for me at least)

I don't know Moneyorder, will look into it btw

@ Yahoo, you better not ventilate your personal distress with a dealer her m8, everybody has his/her own specialities and perticulairities and Neil just has a lot of them...:)you just have to accept that otherwise don't deal with Neil, plenty of other choices. I had a clash with him also and we just spoke our minds to eachother, end of story and we are ok, I put 300 % trust in him, You have to understand this is somewhat of an underground business and a lot of people just think they are at Harrods.I can imagine some dealers or other veterans in this community get p(**ssed of by some people and their reactions

Look at The Zigmeisters post and how a " customer" treats him, unbelievable....just my 2 cnts

Cheers

Edited by capice

exactly.. what got on my nerves is that he became abusive to me.. i just asked him to check.. i mean there is no big deal with that right? if there is a delay or something they can just say hey man there is a delay.. instead of telling me to leave him alone..

and as to tracking numbers 20 times a day.. it's been 2 days since i had it and it still not updated.. and it was my first inquiry like i said.. i don't think i should get flamed for this right?

You're absolutely right, it was a totally reasonable request, and, certainly not one which deserved an abusive response. I'll be the first to admit, that with regards tracking numbers, there often will be a delay in it arriving, as a dealer might not be able to post the item on the same day the transaction is made, so it doesn't hurt to give a few days grace to accomodate that, and, EMS, as a shipping service, do not always update the information on their site quickly, so I think it is something which needs to be treated with patience, but, as above, your request for information was in a polite and reasonable manner, certainly not demanding or impatient, so not deserving an abusive response by any means.

TeeJay, I agree with your most of your points. Interestingly, some of these themes seem to have come up in the thread that Ziggy just made, talking about some of the abuses of his service that have caused him to have to scale back and be more selective.

I think one of the big distinctions is between dealers and 'sellers'. I have found as a somewhat active 'seller', that the expectation is actually higher than it is if it were a dealer/buyer transaction. It's part of a dealer's business model and the set of expectations they're required to meet to have to deal with problems and with communication with all of their buyers. But what I'm wondering, is whether my own 'snap-shot' of experience as a 'seller' may give me enough of a glimpse into what they might experience to wonder whether they couldn't tell some horror stories that would curl your toes...

The post that Ziggy just made would seem to support that conclusion. I think it's a by-product of the internet as a means of doing commerce. It's totally impersonal, so people lose any sense of self-awareness or social sense of discretion when it comes to respecting other people's time and energy.

The issue of a buyer's rights, when it comes down to their anxiety about having money 'in transit' is central to the discussion. I'm not going to say much, and I am only talking here in generalities, but I have had the experience of a buyer who was anxious about their watch arriving quickly say that they were uncomfortable that with their package is floating in the 'ether'. They lose the cognitive ability to understand that there isn't anything wrong, just because they can't see the package in transit.

Indeed, I think you're quite right that people used to dealing with 'dealers', might expect similar treatment/reassurances etc from 'sellers'. It's basically the same effect as I mentioned with shops. People are so used to shop staff having to fawn over them, and the frequently reinforced notion that 'Customer is King!!!', that they get used to such treatment, and come to expect it, even when it isn't warranted, and indeed, the internet does provide an anonymity which makes some people incredibly mouthy and offensive, which, chances are, they would never dare to be in real life. Sanme basic issue as with the 'in transit' scenario. People are used to dealing with legitimate, established companies, which can often provide next day services, and forget that, although they're using the same medium for communication, there is a rather different process to our 'little hobby', so can lose sight of the fact that orders might take a little longer, or information might not be so readily available, but, that doesn't necessarily imply foul play on the part of the dealer.

I think I read somewhere on the Board that Eddie quit selling reps widespread due to the hassle and perhaps this same hassle and stress is hitting some of the other sellers. Don't get me wrong, I value and expect customer service as much as the other person but it may be that many on the Board and other purchasers are wearing down the sellers.

If a watch arrives with major issues such as I have read on the HBB, then I think the seller deserves to hear that the customer is unhappy but I think that perhaps many purchasers are not professional with their e-mails. Yes sometimes the watch we receive has an issue and as buyers we are disappointed, perhaps too much as we have got our hopes up, but sending poorly worded e-mails can end a relationship very quickly. We buyers need to remain respectful and professional in our e-mails (old saying: you get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar) and then receive back the same respect and professional responses.

I also think that many of us buyers may be expecting too much. Slight alignments and minor small issues need to be examined in light of the cost of the item. Despite the profit we may see more sellers leave as the hassle just is not worth it despite the profit. Perhaps we need a code of conduct and or better communication from sellers on their web sites (ie: If it is going to take 2-3 days for an item to show up on EMS tracking tell the buyer this up front). My advise to minimize problems is as follows:

Sellers:

Check the watch before you send it ( I know many do but many don't). Why waste your time and the buyers time sending something that obviously did not work or had visual problems from the get go!! Also double check that it is the watch the customer ordered!!

Communicate in e-mail and web site on reoccurring questions from customers. If you get the same question "as to why nothing shows up on EMS tracking for 2-3 days" then add it to an order e-mail so folks know!!

Buyers:

If you get a watch or watches with a problem or the wrong watch send a professional e-mail outlining the problem with no smart comments or inappropriate language. If the seller is smart back still stay respectful in the next e-mail as it may just be a bad day or the seller thinks your trying to pull something. I have received smart e-mails back and have remained respectful and eventually the person on the other end will come to understand that you are simply trying to resolve the issue in a amicable manner. If not chalk it up to experience, this seller is not going to be around long anyway if he/she treats everyone that same way.

Anyway it is common sense (or Uncommon sense) but sometimes we all need to be reminded: Treat others as you would like to be treated.

My 2 cents!!

TimeShare

I agree with all your points, except for the boldened part. Drop-shippers cannot check the stock they are shipping, and that can lead to people receiving incorrect, or, not acceptable stock. The only solution I can think of, is that drop-shipping dealers (who should be 100% identified as such, and listed accordingly) should have a 100% 'no-quibble' returns policy for anything arriving, which is legitimately in error (ie wrong watch/faulty product) As they are not sending out the stock themself, it is only reasonable that they should accept responsibility if something is faulty, and allow exchanges or refunds without quibble, including covering the cost of returns, as it is not the buyer's fault that the wrong item arrived, but it is the fault of the drop-shipper that they are unable to 100% verify what they send out. Of course, that's just my own feeling on the issue, I'm quite happy to do business with drop-shippers, providing they are open about it, and accept that if problems occur, although it is not their personal fault it happened, it is the onus is on them (as seller and identified 'head of company') to make the correct resitutions.

man why is it so hard to get a refund from this dealer :S.. he promised me it will be sent yesterday and today its still not posted.. and i wished i could have a refund so i can get it from TTK!!.. anyone here live in USA that can help me with moneygram? it seems like that moneygram is cheaper if it's sent from USA

That sucks. If they can email you to say they're giving you a refund, they could equally have made the refund online at the same time. This is a PP transaction? I have to admit, this kind of behaviour is just trying to hang onto your money, so I'd personally say it was time to 'name and shame', as that's certainly someone people should be wary of dealing with in the future...