When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Custom made ETA Datejusts

piratedzeus

Not sure what you're asking but I remember jfreeman saying the gen DJ case seems bigger than rep, wears bigger.

I'm right now thinking of getting a DJ too, maybe from Ruby. Her quality is tops?

I'd like all SS, dark blue whorl dial, new style arabics, smooth bezel, not sure if jubilee or oyster bracelet.

Whatchu thinking of getting?

Confused? Go to your AD, look/try on a bunch of watches & find the one (or mixture of options) that works for you. Once you know what you are looking for & are familiar with what the gen looks & feels like, you can make a more educated buying decision. Then find a collector who has what you are looking for.

As far as sizes, I have not compared any of the current crop of datejusts. But, other than the obvious qualitative differences, my 20 year old datejust rep is the same size as my 20 year old gen

datejust-tt.jpg

(rep)

marbles0041.jpg

(gen)

just when you're about to narrow the choice down to a few, now the new generation throws the two color combination dials at you and now the leather strap. I couldn't even decide between the jubilee, oyster and the president band. And the Oyster band has two types, the old dull middle links, and the newer shiny "Daytona" like middle links. I'm going crazy!

All in all, I ordered the blue Roman marker dial with the jubilee band from Ruby. I have a TT gold dial with stick markers that I enjoy, and my friend has the SS Silver dial with Roman markers on Jubilee band. Both GENS, and both are classics.

I have the TT TOG black, which uses the DJ case, and it is pretty good. Even the gold plating is close to my GEN 18k gold TT. I can not tell the difference, even hand holding both of them.

Man, you just can't go wrong with the ETA DJ's. Just pick and order away. I want to order one in every color.

I bought a silver DJ from Pure Time and 1 from Joshua.

They are the same, the dial is really accurate.

1 DJ bought from Precious Time, the blue one in his section.

The weight is 5 grams less than my gen DJ.

But it comes with a jubilee bracelet, while my gen has an oyster one (2007 new bracelet)

Compared to Gen the only big flaw is that they have shorter hour markers, due to ETA shorter cannon pinion maybe.

And the seconds hand is a little bit longer.

So my suggestion is to go for a classic one, it's pretty accurate.

Damn you cannot even tell the weight difference?

And in terms of finish?

Damn you cannot even tell the weight difference?

And in terms of finish?

I think the gen SS oyster DJ is 107 grams, there's a chart around here somewhere but I'm at a loss for the moment as to where to find it. I put a frankenjust on the scale the other day and it was 109 grams, which I liked becuase I hate when people who have probably never seen a real rolex in thier life say they can tell its fake because its "too light."

I haven't seen an eta DJ in person, so fit and finish is hard to tell, quality pictures which may be retouched are no good reference for me.

@vmena, nice example of a Franken!

And Freddy I always love that vintage DJ. I really need to build one.

@lumpy. You can never go wrong building a Franken!

Here's my example: Everything visible is genuine, with the exception of the sweep second hand. Powered by ETA.

wrist1rr0.jpg