When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Super Sea Dweller - Arrived in 2 days

kenofstephen

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't you guys heard of the Super Sea-Dweller yet? Better do a search for it. As far as Subs go, well, try looking for the noobmariner. While you're at it, maybe you could donate some money and that will give you access to the collectors section where you can find all of these little goodies. And by all means, keep reading- there's months of watch knowledge here. Welcome aboard.

Haven't you guys heard of the Super Sea-Dweller yet? Better do a search for it. As far as Subs go, well, try looking for the noobmariner. While you're at it, maybe you could donate some money and that will give you access to the collectors section where you can find all of these little goodies. And by all means, keep reading- there's months of watch knowledge here. Welcome aboard.

Yes I did!

and like that those 3 I mentioned (edited on top) are all good!

so difficult to finalize one so need you guys to help! :D

thx!

That case is the noob- F520117 SN. A good watch, especially w/ the eta- crown's too big, but stay tuned, bklm1234 may have a new rep crown which is the correct size and fits the rep case tube- could be an easy swap.

BTW, what is RLSS10003?

http://www.pc-80108.com/rlss10003-black-di...362-p-1023.html

maybe the same thing as above, I am not sure.

yeah i have no idea what a RLSS10003 is? I say the Noobmariner and the super SD are about the same quality. The noobmariner is much cheaper and will allow you a couple extra $ to add a gen crown and insert to make it a nice franken.

I say the Noobmariner and the super SD are about the same quality.

I disagree. Otb Noobmariner is MUCH closer to the gen than the SSD (imho). The only serious flaw on the Noob is the ugly, oversized crown.

Even mods can't change the fundamental problems on the SSD.

Just my 2 cents.

http://www.pc-80108.com/rlss10003-black-di...362-p-1023.html

maybe the same thing as above, I am not sure.

This is Josh's 'classic' LV sub, good rehaut, but the date window is too far to the right, case #D320640

And although I like the noob, the rehaut is slightly shallow in addition to the bulbous crown and not so great pearl.

I was very impressed w/ the SSD that my nephew got. Now I just wish he'd let me take it apart, and play with it. I'd really like to check out the crown and tube assembly- they may be a copy of the gen assembly- the crown matches up w/ my gen crown and the tube is thicker like the gen tube. overall, I think it's a very nice watch

Once again: The thing that really kills the SSD for me is how the rep looks from the front view. This look of the crystal, and the thick, apparent cylindrical rehaut shape is very characteristic feature on the genuine Sea Dweller. I simply can't understand why people argue about some small difference in the rehaut depth, but don't care about this absolutely crucial problem at all. Oh well, maybe it's just me then... :)

Gen:

seadwellery2od3.jpg

Rep (with modded cg's):

seadwellery2xo5.jpg

Gen:

seadwelleryst0.jpg

Noobmariner is virtually perfect in this regard. The thickness on the gen Sub isn't as noticeable, but it's still there.

noob2.jpg

I agree with bytor 100%. the ssd is just not all there. it is an amazing watch in its own right, but it is not as close to gen as the "real" noobmariner.

skype ttk, get a noob. go to ebay and buy a bezel from helfands, send it up to The Zigmeister, get the bezel installed, get a gen crown and tube installed, and a relume maybe and be done. then wear a watch that is very very believable. good luck and what ever you buy, wear it in good health.

I disagree. Otb Noobmariner is MUCH closer to the gen than the SSD (imho). The only serious flaw on the Noob is the ugly, oversized crown.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah you are right :) I was just trying to keep things simple for the new kids lol

For the same price, I'd rather have a noob with some mods than a SSD in original form.

You can build a NICE franken Asian Noob for about $200 plus labour. $100 for the noob from TTK the dealer here, $30 gen triplock crown, $15 aftermarket tube, $30-$40 for nice insert and pearl. Do the crown guards and file down the bracelet and then a little polish and some oiling and you're good to go! Next time i need a good franken 16610 this is my plan of attack.

dizz

I am actually thinking about asking The Zigmeister if the movement from my ssd would fit into my noob. I am already doing the other mods listed above. if it doesnt fit then I am going to unbrand the ssd. I love the watch as i said, but it is just not all there, if you know what I mean. just my 2cents.

I am actually thinking about asking The Zigmeister if the movement from my ssd would fit into my noob. I am already doing the other mods listed above. if it doesnt fit then I am going to unbrand the ssd. I love the watch as i said, but it is just not all there, if you know what I mean. just my 2cents.

I know what you mean with regard to the SSD. The beauty of the watch is the design it attempts to duplicate plus it is very well put together. It's not entirely accurate but it remains on heck of a watch for the price. It has a heft and feel that cannot be judged from the photos.

If it were totally unbranded with a quality dial, it may be worth more than the rep. :)

Just my 2 cents.

COULD EVERYBODY LISTEN TO BT THIS TIME PLEASE...

The Super Sea Dweller is cool but nowhere close to the level of the Sub Noobmariner Out The Box.

-_-

I think the WM9 Sub is actually very nice. It has really awful bracelet & SELs, and some problems with the bezel... but it looks fundamentally correct, and it's a great base. The crystal/rehaut combo is the best I've ever seen.

I don't have a Sub/SD rep at all right now. I'm quite sure there's something happening regarding the 16610 soon. Just a "hunch".

But if someone REALLY wants a 16610 rep now, I'd go for the route that L-Dizzle suggested. It makes absolutely no sense to put $500 on a rep, which will be updated and improved... rather sooner than later.

PS: Stephane is right. SSD is ok. I'm not saying it's crap, but it's nothing special. I'm really pissed off that the factories screwed up the thing what *makes* the Sea Dweller: Amazingly thick front rehaut. Pissed off because I waited this watch for YEARS... I really wanted it to be great. For me it's nothing more than another wasted opportunity, once again.

I found it really strange that the membership was so willing to forgive and ignore all those stupid flaws on it... although it was advertised as 1:1 replica. It was hyped a lot, and I'm sure it sold a lot.

With a little effort and consultation from our senior members it could have been awesome. I don't know why they always screw up something important with the Rolex reps.

I agree and disagree here. With the NOOB the big issue with me is its pot luck concerning the fit of the end links besides the case and lugs. A sloppy fit/gaps in my mind make the watch look FAKE. (BIG time fake) And this is noticable by all not just Rolex geeks. I have had two NOOBs...one I sent back because of a host of issues most noticably a date that stopped working. Its replacement was and is nice but with a sloppy bracelet fit with gaps where none should be. (both had this problem) Overall fit and finish in my mind is No 2...right behind No 1 which is that the watch tells time! LOL However in terms of the case, CG, dial and PRICE the NOOB is certainly the No 1 best buy. The super sea dweller has excellent fit and finish. The bracelet (although some issues with sizing) is the best I have seen in any Rolex rep. Nicely polished edges etc. The only issues can only be caught by someone who really knows this watch in gen form well. The thin frontal rehaut thickness although anoying by those who are used to seeing the gen would never be called out by anyone unless they really knew their stuff. These people would call out any rep Rolex in any case. SOO...my thought is ..buy the SSD. Its a great watch, great fit and finish and its Swiss ETA! ALL for under 300 bucks.

perry, you and I must have gotten different bracelets on our SSDs. the sel's look good, but are shaped wrong, the fixed links are sloppy when they break in (meaning wearing it 15 times tops) most of the screws are machined poorly, the midlinks are made of too thin gauge metel, man i cant go on.

If i didnt love the feel of the ssd on my wrist (mainly due to the heft of the watch head)I would have sent it back because the bracelet. maybe on the ssdII they will get the shape of the sel correct along with the other issues. again just my 2 cents.

its_urabus, there may be a different bracelet for the SSD. The one I received from River had no issues with the exception being the clasp extension piece, which is too short. At Gio's brilliant suggestion, it was replaced with the gen part and the clap now closes perfectly.

There were no stripped screws or other machining problems. After polishing & oiling, the bracelet feels silky smooth. I don't have issues with the end links as they fit snugly against the case. No cheap looking gaps.

They may have been replaced given all the reported problems with the initial watches. You might check with your dealer and perhaps you can get a replacement.

I bought mine from Angus. The first one he sent the screws were impossible to loosen and in process of trying I scratched it all up. So being the great dealer he is he sent me another which did not have these issues. I wear it all the time and I see nothing wrong with it. Fit and finish as just about perfect. No gaps, nothing loose, Screws are no problem as stated, best I have ever seen and I own many many subs as well as a TW best SD. Unless you really know a ROLEX SD gen you will never call out the SSD rep. We all know its not perfect but it looks like a 5000 watch without any major visible flaws. OK OK I know the rehaut thickness is thin, CG a bit thick and the pearl not the best but anyone holding the watch feeling the heft, fit and finish and quality would never point to it as a rep...no way. Thats 99.999% of the public you will come in contact with. SURE if you are real unlucky a SD geek will spot it as a fake but how many of those are around???? LOL

Perhaps I will contact my dealer to see if he has seen a better fit on his new pieces. there are NO gaps at the sel, the shape of it is does not follow the case as it should, thats all. I totally agree that the ssd feels like a well crafted, expensive watch. and it is 90 gen OTB, 95% after mods. I just hope the next version is 95% OTB and 99% after mods.

I have an SSD and for me, everything came out extremely well. The bracelet was well done, no issues, easy to modify. I also got a genuine extension mechanism with the black screw. Very cool. It was with The Zigmeister for a crown and tube, CG, and Insert fix.

Outside of that, i can not think of anything else. A genuine SSD crystal does not fit, so I am sending my crystal to BK so that he can use the gen measurements to create the right angles, etc for a replacement crystal (without that ridiculous etch crown).

Very soon, the only thing wrong with this will be the thin frontal rehaut. It is bothersome when I think about it, but no one else would be able to tell unless they really knew their stuff.

You guys are absolutely correct of course. Only a Rolex WIS could tell. Or another gen SD owner.

I think it's more about personal preferences. I couldn't live with the flaws on the SSD, so I didn't buy one. However, I can live with the wrong hand stack on my 16710 GMT without a problem, because the watch looks fundamentally correct. For others this kind of technical issue is a complete "no-no".

The most important thing is that we enjoy our watches. I'm still pissed off that the factory refused to get our help with the SSD though. Well at least we managed to get a half-decent crown installed on it. You should have seen the grossly oversized crown that they had on the initial "release candidate". :)