When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Super Sea Dweller - Arrived in 2 days

kenofstephen

Well, then stop making useless comments as if you are a rolex expert.

My Dear IceBerg,

I thank you very much for this nice comment.

From my experience, none of the members known as Rolex experts are saying they are.

Most of them even say they are not, and me I'm constantly saying that I learn a lot (which will probably be the case untill I die).

But I still remember your wonderfull statement about the clasp of my genuine Sea Dweller (with box and papers, from Amsterdam's main AD) being fake.

I'll bear in mind that if I want advices on Rolex, I'll PM you right away instead of By-Tor or RepAustria in example.

Warm regards,

Stephane

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I had read this thread before ordering my SSD.

On the other hand it seems clear that whatever you buy, nothing is perfect nor will it ever be. I read a review of the SSD that said it was a very very nice rep right out of the box and then I saw another thread (can't remember which forum) that had a side by side with the gen and the SSD and the thing that seemed most obvious to me was the color of the stainless steel - the gen was whiter.

I shouldn't have read this thread because now I am dreading the arrival of my SSD (as if I wasn't stressed out enough already from wondering if the next ice age will arrive first).

I wish I had read this thread before ordering my SSD.

On the other hand it seems clear that whatever you buy, nothing is perfect nor will it ever be. I read a review of the SSD that said it was a very very nice rep right out of the box and then I saw another thread (can't remember which forum) that had a side by side with the gen and the SSD and the thing that seemed most obvious to me was the color of the stainless steel - the gen was whiter.

I shouldn't have read this thread because now I am dreading the arrival of my SSD (as if I wasn't stressed out enough already from wondering if the next ice age will arrive first).

Hey, don't misunderstand, SSD is a great rep, but no rollies rep are what is used to be called with the term "super rep".

First of all because of the movement and the stem allignement, so the crown will ever sit too low until they'll abandon the 2836-2 mov.

Then because of the etched crown at 6, i.e mbw is close to gen, but still too visible. Gen etched crown on the crystal is definitely different.

SSD has flaws as well as noobmariner.

Someone will say noobmariner is better, someone will say the opposite.. you'll have only to choose wich flaws bother you less

My Dear IceBerg,

I thank you very much for this nice comment.

From my experience, none of the members known as Rolex experts are saying they are.

Most of them even say they are not, and me I'm constantly saying that I learn a lot (which will probably be the case untill I die).

But I still remember your wonderfull statement about the clasp of my genuine Sea Dweller (with box and papers, from Amsterdam's main AD) being fake.

I'll bear in mind that if I want advices on Rolex, I'll PM you right away instead of By-Tor or RepAustria in example.

Warm regards,

Stephane

I never said your clasp is rep but it looks very much like it because the quality looked miserable. I dont care rep or gen it looked bad.

And i didnt know ad's sell used watches.

I also remember how you claimed gen sd has polished h-valve in your review

If you really want to learn you should listen sometimes to others, i doubt any of you even handled the gen which the rep was copied of.

Sd has many modern versions and if its gen yours seem to be an older ver.

http://www.rolexreferencepage.com/articles/valve.jpg

gen

bdpocomparison2sm9.jpg

gen

bdpocomparison2sm9.7e4476e7a9.jpg

Warm regards to you too, my dear monsieur Stephane

ill answer for stephane sheesh.. the rehaut is thin and it looks clear.. there should be like a white ring around the rehaut which shows it to be thick.. ye there u go there goes my try in explaining it

Rehaut is the metal ring between glass and dial not the crystal thickness.

i dont see any white ring there, do you?

gen

bdpocomparison2sm9.7e4476e7a9.jpg

rep

subss4.jpg

subss4.68a95790bd.jpg

oops, different angle and it has a white ring

gen

seadwellersidejc6.jpg

seadwellersidejc6.8c81a9f5c8.jpg

rep

dsc0039sk1.jpg

dsc0039sk1.a71de39d9b.jpg

as you see quality and angle of photos can make the watch look completely different

rmsd01facesw1.jpg

rmsd01facesw1.ebd79629f7.jpg

dsc0455ry0.jpg

dsc0455ry0.5ffa92582c.jpg

Iceberg1459, there are two components to rehaut.

First is the depth of the metal ring as you say.

Second is the frontal thickness at the crystal edge. Go back to post #12 in this discussion and you will see where ByTor is pointing out the frontal rehaut issue between the gen and the rep- much thicker in the gen. This is a new aspect of rehaut which has been looked at in the last 6 months or so- just one more way in which we are over analyzing these reps. Noob has good frontal rehaut, SSD (rep) doesn't.

..... by the way you al discussed about the Rehaut and thickness

of it.

The Rehaut is good but the shape of the crystal makes the Rehautthickness

invisible.

On the other disscussion best Sub in the moment is the WM9 needs also some

work but it's damn accurate. That's my two cents.