When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Super Sea Dweller - Arrived in 2 days

kenofstephen

I just bought a cartier 1:1 Roadster and was just about to buy the new Porsche on rubber strap that just came out. However I have this strong feeling that something new is about to hit in terms of a better Sub so I am holding all my funds for a while. I have so many Subs ..TW best, MBW modern, Nymph, 1680, Perfect LV, Bond Sub, and in a flash I would buy another! This rep collecting hobby is out of control!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The noob as we know has the famous 520117 serial number.. the new SSD has a 539117 serial number... do you think the new SSD is made in the 'noob factory' because of the similar serial numbers??? I just bought another sec@6 daytona with the noob factory 520117 serial and its fit and finish is amazing! This factory seems to produce the best rollie reps so far.

I refer to a noobmariner as any watch with the F520117 case serial number. This may upset TTK, but most all of the other dealers carry it, so that's reality for you. Here's Andrew's w/ asian 21j (no pic of the movement):

http://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?main...products_id=257

River has what I think is a great deal- the noob case w/ the asian eta copy movement for around $120. I've owned four noobs and this is my current go to sub- I put a gen crown and aftermarket tube on it, a watchmaterial pearl which got busted out on a hunting trip and trimmed the cg's. A great WR beater w/ a Raymond Lee pearl now!

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/riv...TA%20Submarine/

And if it's endorsed by ByTor, enuff said!

Darn, kenofstephen......you've got what you've bargained for on this thread......all the master are pitching in!!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim::thumbsupsmileyanim: Now go and add your support to these wonderful site!!! :bicycle:

thanks thanks thanks! :lol:

I am really happy and thank you all for the comments and advices. :D

Yes! I read the reviews and I love the noobmariner too! :p

but the problem is, where to buy from TTK?! :o

I read posts and enquiries in the dealers/reviews area,

but I found no answer so far, maybe my own problem,

or the answer isn't there... :huh:

Yeah you are right :) I was just trying to keep things simple for the new kids lol

For the same price, I'd rather have a noob with some mods than a SSD in original form.

You can build a NICE franken Asian Noob for about $200 plus labour. $100 for the noob from TTK the dealer here, $30 gen triplock crown, $15 aftermarket tube, $30-$40 for nice insert and pearl. Do the crown guards and file down the bracelet and then a little polish and some oiling and you're good to go! Next time i need a good franken 16610 this is my plan of attack.

dizz

what is franken Asian Noob?

a noob with all mods done?

if yes, I will go for it. :p

I agree with bytor 100%. the ssd is just not all there. it is an amazing watch in its own right, but it is not as close to gen as the "real" noobmariner.

skype ttk, get a noob. go to ebay and buy a bezel from helfands, send it up to The Zigmeister, get the bezel installed, get a gen crown and tube installed, and a relume maybe and be done. then wear a watch that is very very believable. good luck and what ever you buy, wear it in good health.

I have added him for a few days, but no luck to see him online. :o

but I see Josh, Andrew and Angus got the 520117 case Sub for selling?

are they "noobmariner"??

Of course they are- it just upsets TTK because he was the first out w/ the noob and coined the name, so he thinks it's his exclusively. Exclusive naming rights to a counterfeit watch- that's a good one. But these watches all come from the same factory in China, whether with an asian 21j, eta copy or a true eta movement. We could call it the F520117, but that would be confusing, because the same case is also used for the Yachtmaster and now according to L-dizzle, the Daytona at 6 uses the same (modified with pushers added) case.

And we do see some variations from batch to batch on this watch. Like the "zit" pearl and the thick date font on some Beginmariners. Production isn't static in China- things change from time to time.

Of course they are- it just upsets TTK because he was the first out w/ the noob and coined the name, so he thinks it's his exclusively. Exclusive naming rights to a counterfeit watch- that's a good one. But these watches all come from the same factory in China, whether with an asian 21j, eta copy or a true eta movement. We could call it the F520117, but that would be confusing, because the same case is also used for the Yachtmaster and now according to L-dizzle, the Daytona at 6 uses the same (modified with pushers added) case.

And we do see some variations from batch to batch on this watch. Like the "zit" pearl and the thick date font on some Beginmariners. Production isn't static in China- things change from time to time.

I'm here to learn since day one and would like to take this opportunity to continue to learn.

I have bought several Subs (like most of us) but didn't keep them (some of us did).

Just look at My Collection in my signature (and not all of them are there).

Hundreds of $ p*ssed away for sh*t watches.

I'm sorry to say but NONE were close to the real deal in real life. NONE.

At least not OutTheBox and not even when modified.

The Noob is not, the MBK is not.

So, I always thought that the MBK (formerly called MBW) with a NoobMariner Dial, Gen Insert, Gen Crown, Gen Tube, NoobMariner Date Wheel, NoobMariner Bracelet was the best possible Sub available after modifications.

This means:

- Buy an MBW/K 350$

- Buy a Noob 100$

- Buy genuine parts 100$

- Pay your favourite modder (impossible to put a price here as it could be 100 to whatever if you're scammed).

If you add all the "less sexy subs" that one bought thinking it's ultimate, perfect, whatever...you're close to 50% of a genuine.

That is at least my experience.

I know, I might not be the smartest guy here but for sure not the only one to be stupid enough to go all the way to the "best sub".

You say: the F520117 is available from almost everybody and they all come from the same factory.

Well, there is a hope then: get the best sub one of these days.

All this post for some questions to you, and every other Rolex freak:

Do you think we will ever get the best sub?

Do you think all that trend about NoobMariners and MBKs is b*llsh*t?

I would love to hear from long term members about this: is the best sub available ?

I think it is not, and will never be.

Cheers

Stephane

Wow, now that is an interesting post.

Is your OTB rep, or modded rep it the best non gen availble? NO WAY, since the goal is a gen, then unless the rep parts are made by then gen maker then its not the best available. they are rep not a gen. to a WIS no rep is close to gen. end of story.

But lets ne human here... I tend to think... does it make you happy to wear it? if so then who gives a crap... wear it and be happy. congrats on your purchase. and please, keep reading . there are some really cool and smart folks here. I actually get more enjoyemnt from thier posts then the reps i buy. I hope you stay, no mater what reps you buy. just remember its about the the watches, and your happiness.

Wow, now that is an interesting post.

Is your OTB rep, or modded rep it the best non gen availble? NO WAY, since the goal is a gen, then unless the rep parts are made by then gen maker then its not the best available. they are rep not a gen. to a WIS no rep is close to gen. end of story.

But lets ne human here... I tend to think... does it make you happy to wear it? if so then who gives a crap... wear it and be happy. congrats on your purchase. and please, keep reading . there are some really cool and smart folks here. I actually get more enjoyemnt from thier posts then the reps i buy. I hope you stay, no mater what reps you buy. just remember its about the the watches, and your happiness.

Hmmm, my Froglish is obviouly very bad today.

:(

I was only tyring to say: rep and mods is a hobby, nothing more, and yes, it is great fun.

I wouldn't choose another hobby.

There is no chance that any Rolex rep will ever be the "Best XXX" though.

Look at a Vietnamese case, frankened with a gen mvt and whatever other genuine parts...it's still a rep.

But, I love the idea to build a 1 or 3K watch that I will never get in real life anyway.

That said, and some of you guys know that, I really would appreciate that no members put several hundreds of dollars in several Subs to discover it is a hobby...

What we're doing here has nothing to do with trying to fool a collector with the best sub...just enjoying wearing a splendid watch at a fraction of it's cost.

Cheers

Stephane

:blush:

I agree Stephane, this is just a hobby and it's fun for us. I enjoy wearing reps that are fairly close to the original. I've learned to mod them here and I've had a good time building a couple of frankens. Hopefully the new guys will realize that there's no perfect rep, but by buying a few, at least they'll get their feet wet and hopefully have fun with it. Will we ever see a perfect sub rep? I sometimes wonder myself. But I still enjoy wearing my noob- it's a great beater and if I bust it up, who cares, I only got a couple of hundred dollars in it anyway.

• 3 months later...

As further evidence of the difficulty in calling out the SSD...if you remember, when it first came out there was a member here (wish I could remember his name) who took it down for deep water tests and documented the tests in unbelievable detail. While at the dive site he passed the rep around a group of divers along with the gen and asked the divers to tell which was which. Despite the fact that many of the divers owned gen's many still couldn't tell the difference, and if I remember correctly, the Captain couldn't either. I was reluctant to buy the watch because of the rehaut issue until I read that post. I figured, if owners of the gen's can't tell the difference the average non-WIS won't have a clue how to call it out.

That being said, I really wish they would have gone the extra mile and just made it correctly in the first place. I would have gladly paid an extra $50 bucks for the extra effort to make the rehaut correctly in the firs place.