When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to pull off a rep everytime

subzero1

Here's my hard and fast rules for wearing reps, and for pulling it off convincingly.

Avoiding the "Is that real" question

1. People "size you up" when meeting you. The quality of your shoes, wedding band, and glasses (if worn) all should be on par with the quality of your watch. If not, then it's more likely to be suspect.

2. Wear decent clothes, and get sizes that actually fit you - the baggy sloppy look just makes your nice watch look way out of place

I disagree with you!!!

Sizing people up on the basis of appearance can be very misleading. Where I live, there are many minimum wage salespeople who wear good fitting suits and carry themselves quite convincingly, but they barely have a few bucks to their name. The stereotypical champagne-sipping walking-talking bank safe business man/woman is dead; these days, I know many people who dress very casual but have a wallet that you would need an industrial size crane to lift. Example: one local millionaire in my city owns a tech company. He wears t-shirts and jeans, drives a Dodge Caravan 1998, and wears a timex... but if you saw his house.... uh oh....... castle

Some people invest their money into very specific things, forgetting the rest. For some, image isn't everything. I usually find that the most "successful looking" people are really the most insecure and quite often have little beyond the few expensive possessions they affix unto themselves for public viewing.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few words about watches, cars and their owners.

In some countries in Europe, cars are the number one tax object. A decent car is very expensive, taxes alone may amount to 50-80% of the list price. Despite this, many people buy cars that are more expensive than their homes; to have a nice car is a status symbol. They buy BMW's, MB's a.s.o., but they can't even afford a garage for it.

I don't want to pay a lot for nothing anymore, like I did earlier. Recently, I bought an old Toyota and I'm happy with that. For the amount I pay in VAT for a service on my MB V8, I can buy a nice gen watch (as an example), and I prefer to do just that even if I could afford to do both.

So, next time you see me in my old Toyota, I might wear a vey nice watch, but that's not because I can't afford a nice car. I just hate to pay extreme taxes.

I was studying for a test with a girl, and she comes in with a hoodie, sweatpants and a rolex. I was thinking in my head, there is no way this is gen... Then I found out she was rich -_-

I've been thinking about how I am going to play this off if people ask me, and I've decided im going to tell them its a rep. The way I look at it, is you can buy a mall watch (guess, fossil, arnette) in the $80 - $150 range (retail) or pay around that much, maybe a little more for a really nice rep that looks awesome.

I have never been asked about a watch.

I wear Rolex reps most of the time, usually GMT Master, vintage sub, datejust.

I think it's maybe age- some grey hair.

Perhaps it's just the car- black Cadillac DTS. But I drive it to work infrequently.

My sons (age 22 and 24) wear Rolex and Omega reps and also have never been asked.

There is a lot of good advice in this thread but I would say that if you are ever asked you must be prepared to play poker. You can learn it from a small booklet published by Robert C. Schenk, an American Ambassador to the Court of Saint James, and my fellow alumnus.

You can probably Google it. It is the basis of business in the US and Canada, where poker is also understood and appreciated.

Carl

I have found that the younger one is the more likely it is that he/she will be questioned about the authenticity of a watch. A person in his 20s might have a nice car and clothes and still be questioned whereas someone in his 40s or older will hardly get a second glance. Credit is easy to obtain in this day and time so a younger person anxious to impress can look the part yet be knee deep in dept. His peers will be quick to question his status symbols.

I would not be quick to judge a person's ability to own an expensive gen watch by his appearance. It is still difficult to judge a book by looking at the cover.

If you have "it", it isn't necessary to flaunt it.

Don't flash your watch in an obvious manner. If someone asks, give them a surprised look and respond with "please don't tell me that this watch looks like a fake. I paid good money for it and think that it is beautiful". Most will apoligize for asking and quickly change the subject.

One thing is certain, if you call out a Rolex wearer and he looks like he can't afford it, you're right 99% of the time. I like those odds.

It doesn't matter if we know scruffy millionaires when almost all the scruffs we know are not millionaires.

The OP's point that if we want to avoid being called out, dress like you can afford a Rolex. He's right, for what it's worth, but most of us are still going to ignore it. ;)

Indeed. A few months ago, I was drooling over an Aston AMV8 in a parking lot...owner happened to come over and he was in ratty jeans, tanktop with sleeve tats down both arms...what do I spot on his wrist? An AP ROO Alinghi.

If it was a black AMV8 and in South Fl, it's a good friend of mine... That ain't his only AP either :o