When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New PAM Cyclops Run - Who's In?

HauteHippie

I've come up with specs for a new PAM cyclops that is designed as follows:

- Correct diameter and magnification for earlier models, including the 27, 28, 29, 63 (my previous cyclops was sized for the newer models)

- Sapphire substrate

- AR Coated

This magnifier would be very similar to the original watchmen lens (for those familiar) with some minor tweaks and the addition of AR to address the internal reflection issue it had. The AR is going to be nearly impossible to detect on an internally mounted cyclops, and sssurfer can attest to the effectiveness of AR at reducing the internal reflections and adding clarity. This will eliminate the need to AR coat the PAM crystals with cyclopes on watches that should not be AR coated per the original.

The 29 and 63 would be able to use this cyclops directly, while the 27, 28 would require the removal of the small internal lens over the date window. I am not familiar with other models that would use this magnifier, but the thickness should not present a hands clearance issue for any watch.

*If interested, please let me know. The cost of this magnifier will be $35 USD per unit shipped anywhere in the world - a little higher than my previous lens which was not AR coated, but still lower than the original watchmen if you'll recall. I will also need payment up front, and the lead time will be a couple months.

Judging by the response here, I'll determine whether we can move forward. Thanks!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chief,

Put me up for 3! Btw, do you reckon these new cyclops will fit the submersibles such as the 024, 087 and 243? Or are these meant for the older cyclops u made? If these new cyclops will fit the submersibles then put me up for 6, if not, do you still have the older cyclops available for sale? I would like to order both types of cyclops, keep me posted. Cheers!

Edited by deepitch

Hi Chief,

Put me up for 3! Btw, do you reckon these new cyclops will fit the submersibles such as the 024, 087 and 243? Or are these meant for the older cyclops u made? If these new cyclops will fit the submersibles then put me up for 6, if not, do you still have the older cyclops available for sale? I would like to order both types of cyclops, keep me posted. Cheers!

Honestly, I can't answer the question... The main issue here is whether or not those models use a sandwich crystal which has a hole bored through the inner layer for the cyclops. This cyclops will work with any watch that has a regular crystal. I know the 27,28,29,63 have regular crystals. I suspect models like the 49 would as well - I'd give it a 99% probability. It is the subs that I would question. The PAM 24 would be a model appropriate for this magnifier - assuming it does not have a sandwich crystal (and I don't know if it does or not). However the 243 is a very new model, for which you don't want a smaller cyclops. And the 87 started at D, so this wouldn't be the right choice for it either. If I were you, I'd throw caution to the wind and get one for the 24. If it doesn't work you could sell it or save it for a rainy day when you find a need for it. ;)

You know, now that I think about it, I want to say that the cyclops was switch over to the larger size after the D series by Panerai... So something like a PAM 87 would probably be suitable for this one, assuming a compatible crystal. But the majority of 87s will probably have the larger version since it was produced from D up through H series.

Kruz and/or sssurfer can confirm I am sure.

What I can say / confirm:

1. AR coating is a major improvement to any cyclops. On my own experience, chieftang's first single-side AR run turned one "watchmen" cyclops and one "chieftang-1st-series" cyclops from >just good< to >gorgeous< (that is also why all my cyclopses for the PAM 027 and 028 have always been AR coated).

Honestly, I have to add that AR coating only the cyclops is a little less effective than AR coating the whole crystal. On my experience, AR coated cyclopses reduce refelection of about 75-80%, while AR coated crystals reduce them 95%.

However, this is an excellent improvement, and it is the only choice to anyone with an early series PAM (no AR on the gen).

2. D-series PAM 087 (500 watches made) had 6mm cyclops, while the E-H series (1500 watches collectively) had giant cyclops, at least 7mm and most likely 7.5mm.

3. The 024 rep has a sandwich crystal. 99% chance that also the gen is the same.