When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ex-watchmaster Goes To Hollywood

ryyannon

Something tells me that he's crazy like a fox: artificially inflate the asking price to keep the great unwashed from wasting his time, while negotiating downwards with his regular and trusted clients.

I wonder if Tanfoglio will jump for this one.....

And of course, an Angelus movement is a very rare item - but I leave it to those more knowledgeable than myself to comment on whether it justifies a price like this...

A lot of the cost would be the Angelus movement. They are extremely rare; more so, I believe than most any other movement out there. This is the real deal- Exactly what Panerai used in their vintage 8 Day models, as well as their re-issue PAM203 (which I believe you had to be on their 'A-List' to be a candidate to purchase...).

WM has one hell of a sweet piece there; a very unique watch with a fantastic movement.

Okay... Who's going to bite? Eddy?

Oh my!! :wub: From what I take it he says limited pieces, so I'm assuming he has more than one. i have a feeler out to him about it. If it were still available in a month or so, when I start my new job, then I definitely would be all over it. I wonder where he got the angelus movement. I've been looking for it for a while now. I guess thats why they call him the master??

Eddy

The 203 is the only gen that I would even consider buying. My wife who hates my reps, says that she would not mind it if I spent 20K on a real watch, and if i wanted she would let me buy it. But then I think with that kind of money, I could get the WM 6152 and still have 17K to play with. Still the 203 is very enticing...

Eddy

The 203 is the only gen that I would even consider buying. My wife who hates my reps, says that she would not mind it if I spent 20K on a real watch, and if i wanted she would let me buy it. But then I think with that kind of money, I could get the WM 6152 and still have 17K to play with. Still the 203 is very enticing...

Eddy

:blink: i think its stealing...

What does this cost in production .... you just pay that panerai made 150! so they calculate 150x20k 3.000.000 $$$ if they had this for 5k they would had to produce 600!! but then why seek 600 customers when you can have 150 ?

The rich mans group has the last of my money. For three thousand I think the WM's watch is a great deal and would do it in second. I'm sorry to go on about this, but that is my perfect watch. Damn, my raise at work doesn't start for two months or I would seriously consider it. I actually like it better than the mm20. With that movement I like it three times as much.

:blink: i think its stealing...

What does this cost in production .... you just pay that panerai made 150! so they calculate 150x20k 3.000.000 $$$ if they had this for 5k they would had to produce 600!! but then why seek 600 customers when you can have 150 ?

Well, with the genuine PAM 203, you have to keep in mind that the old Angelus movements were part of the acquisition agreement when Richemont took over Officine Panerai, and that the movements were limited to what was in stock. So, issuing 600 203's would be completely out of the question, as there were simply not enough movements to supply a large production run. However, I believe that the amortized costs of these movements will show that these old Angelus movements were purchased for pennies on the dollar, if not less by Richemont; factor in what it costs to produce the case, dials, hands etc (which can't be too terribly steep, as they already had much of the basis already completed with the 127/217, as well as what we know from the cost of producing high quality PAM reps etc), and it's easy to see that Panerai is making quite a hefty profit margin on these 203's.

But, as with the laws of supply and demand, they can command the $20k for these watches, and people with the means will gladly part with their cash to own such a limited piece. The same laws apply to WM and his Angelus based hommage as well- No one else is offering these, and while the price may seem high to some, I see it as a fantastic opportunity to own a very unique piece with a bullet proof engine driving it.