When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Along the same lines as what music are you listening to

Raijor

I usually have a few on the go at any one time. Right now I am reading What the Bleep do we know!? by: William Arntz, Betsy Chase and Mark Vincente. This is based on the movie of the same title and it expands on the principles the movie dealt with. The other one is a book I am re-reading because it helps to remind me that I already have the best life has to offer me. It is called The Lazy Person's guide to Success by Ernie J. Zelinski. I purchased it spontaneously not expecting much and now I am on my third run through it. It offers an interesting take on success and happiness.

Just got done 2 weeks ago with "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer and finished his "Into Thin Air" last weekend! Two books you don't wanna miss if your into adventure! Now I'm on chapter 5 of his "Under the Banner of Heaven" about the Mormon faith! This book makes me wonder how a lot of smart, descent people could be so gullible......I'm telling you guys, most of us are in the wrong business.....other than politics, Religion is the next best thing to have followers and make money!!!

Lots of coursework deadlines, so my night time reading at the moment consists of;

The Law of Contract,

Criminal Law, and

EC Law

Can't wait for next month when I can get into some fiction. I want to try a few of Ian Rankin's books as I have heard they are very good!

Where are you studying? I have my LLB but have never practiced.

Lots of coursework deadlines, so my night time reading at the moment consists of;

The Law of Contract,

Criminal Law, and

EC Law

Can't wait for next month when I can get into some fiction. I want to try a few of Ian Rankin's books as I have heard they are very good!

Just got done 2 weeks ago with "Into the Wild" by Jon Krakauer and finished his "Into Thin Air" last weekend! Two books you don't wanna miss if your into adventure! Now I'm on chapter 5 of his "Under the Banner of Heaven" about the Mormon faith! This book makes me wonder how a lot of smart, descent people could be so gullible......I'm telling you guys, most of us are in the wrong business.....other than politics, Religion is the next best thing to have followers and make money!!!

I have read Into Thin Air twice now and it is intense. Climbing Everest has to be the ultimate test of human endurance. One out of four climbers attempting to summit die on the mountain. Imagine going up the mountain with your expedition team fully knowing that for every 4 of you who attempt to summit the odds are one of you will not be coming down. People still pay $50,000 for the chance to try.

I just finished two easy reads.

The Absolute True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

and

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

Both easy reads, but excellent stories.

I also finally got around to reading Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis. Wow, did that guy ever do a lot of drugs during the early days of The Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I just picked up Oryx and Crake by Margret Atwood.... again for the third time. For some reason I only get so far, then put it down. Maybe this time I'll get through it! I think I'll bring it with me to Kauai and finish it there.

I'm also reading bits and pieces of The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists by Neil Strauss. Not that I'm looking for tips on picking up women, but it is quite funny in an "OMG!" kind of way. He also wrote The Dirt - Motley Crue: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band. Now those guys lived a crazy life. I can't believe they are still alive.

(I wonder if this thread will have as many replies as the music one. I think it's easier to love music than to love reading, so I don't know)

"What we become depends on what we read after all of the professors have finished with us. The greatest university of all is a collection of books."

Admin Carlyle

I have read Into Thin Air twice now and it is intense. Climbing Everest has to be the ultimate test of human endurance. One out of four climbers attempting to summit die on the mountain. Imagine going up the mountain with your expedition team fully knowing that for every 4 of you who attempt to summit the odds are one of you will not be coming down. People still pay $50,000 for the chance to try.

Ain't that crazy.....but climbers have a different mentality! I guess it's the same as with any pursuit.......people think we're crazy for having so many watches that looks almost the same!!! :lol:

BTW: It's $80,000.00 now to climb Everest.......there goes my chance!!!! Maybe I should start buying Lotto tickets......the scary part is.......I win, went up Everest......and don't come down! What an irony!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Your straps are on their way, my friend!!!

Ain't that crazy.....but climbers have a different mentality! I guess it's the same as with any pursuit.......people think we're crazy for having so many watches that looks almost the same!!! :lol:

BTW: It's $80,000.00 now to climb Everest.......there goes my chance!!!! Maybe I should start buying Lotto tickets......the scary part is.......I win, went up Everest......and don't come down! What an irony!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Your straps are on their way, my friend!!!

I put wreck divers and cave divers in the same group too. They are driven by something I can not fully understand. I think that is why I am still here. You may want to locate a copy of The LAST DIVE A Father and Son's Fatal Decent into the Oceans Depths written by Bernie Chowdhury It tells the story of a father and son's obsession to be the first to discover the identity of a German U- boat sunken in 230 feet of water off the New York coast.

I put wreck divers and cave divers in the same group too. They are driven by something I can not fully understand. I think that is why I am still here. You may want to locate a copy of The LAST DIVE A Father and Son's Fatal Decent into the Oceans Depths written by Bernie Chowdhury It tells the story of a father and son's obsession to be the first to discover the identity of a German U- boat sunken in 230 feet of water off the New York coast.

Thanks, I'll check it out at my local library!

Thanks, I'll check it out at my local library!

I've been wanting to read "Into Thin Air" for a while, and certainly before the film comes out. Thanks for the reminder. :)

May I suggest, in case you haven't read it:

Lance Armstrong's War: One Man's Battle Against Fate, Fame, Love, Death, Scandal, and a Few Other Rivals on the Road to the Tour de France

By Daniel Coyle

lawcoverpb.jpg

I didn't know anything about him, other than he was raised by his single mother in Texas. This gives you not only insight about him, but about the masochistic sport of Tour bicycling. It is not a hagiography, either.

@Hike below: Oops, I meant "Into the Wild" has been made into a film! Not "Into Thin Air".

Check it out. ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758758/

...whoa. The DVD comes out 4 March 2008. I didn't even see it playing in the cinemas!

"What we become depends on what we read after all of the professors have finished with us. The greatest university of all is a collection of books."

Admin Carlyle

When you open a book, by Cicero, by Aristotle, by Freud, by Marie Curie, by anyone -- those who have been dead for thousands of years, live again. Their words, their thoughts, their prejudices. All come alive.

Similarly writing, even on the internet, allows future generations to know you forever.

I've been wanting to read "Into Thin Air" for a while, and certainly before the film comes out. Thanks for the reminder. :)

May I suggest, in case you haven't read it:

Lance Armstrong's War: One Man's Battle Against Fate, Fame, Love, Death, Scandal, and a Few Other Rivals on the Road to the Tour de France

By Daniel Coyle

lawcoverpb.jpg

I didn't know anything about him, other than he was raised by his single mother in Texas. This gives you not only insight about him, but about the masochistic sport of Tour bicycling. It is not a hagiography, either.

You'll love "Into Thin Air"! I've read it twice already......then when you get done, read "Into the Wild", reading Jon Krakauer's books (which is not many) makes you wonder why people do what they do.....I'm enjoying his "Under the Banner of Heaven" right now!

Understanding Anger and Iritability

By some Doctor

Not my normal choice of book but it was recomended by a doctor, strangly enough, after and incident involving a parking space, a hammer and an ignorant pr1ck.

I love a good biography but one book that i loverd recently was "Forgotton Voices" by Max Arthur.

When you open a book, by Cicero, by Aristotle, by Freud, by Marie Curie, by anyone -- those who have been dead for thousands of years, live again. Their words, their thoughts, their prejudices. All come alive.

Similarly writing, even on the internet, allows future generations to know you forever.

I agree wholeheartedly. Reading creates a relationship between writer and reader irrespective of the difference in time in which they live.

My son is only 10 years old now and I hope I am still here when he is a father and has his own children. But if that is not the case I will still be able to share with his children the bedtime stories I told him when he was little because I taped them on a digital recorder as I told them to Jared . They are the ongoing adventures of a young boy (of course) who finds himself in the middle of grand adventures full of perils and great rewards that he must work his way through without the help of the grown ups around him. At some point I will put them into text form.

Understanding Anger and Iritability

By some Doctor

Not my normal choice of book but it was recomended by a doctor, strangly enough, after and incident involving a parking space, a hammer and an ignorant pr1ck.

:D You'd make a great Alaskan! But lose the hammer... a double-bit axe is much more satisfying.