When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW GW Bezel Replacement

vlydog

As some of you may know, I have just started the journey to locate some Gen Rolex parts for my new MBW Great White. Thank you for all the help so far. A number of members have shared modification ideas which have included bezel insert replacement. In regards to the MBW 1665 GW, are there any flaws with the bezel itself? I found, what appears to be a genuine bezel and insert combo. It is advertised as a Rolex 5512 5513 set $250.00

Is this compatible with my watch? Is the bezel replacement necessary on the MBW GW? Could this be Genuine for that price?

Thanks for your continued help, Vlydog

As some of you may know, I have just started the journey to locate some Gen Rolex parts for my new MBW Great White. Thank you for all the help so far. A number of members have shared modification ideas which have included bezel insert replacement. In regards to the MBW 1665 GW, are there any flaws with the bezel itself? I found, what appears to be a genuine bezel and insert combo. It is advertised as a Rolex 5512 5513 set $250.00

Is this compatible with my watch? Is the bezel replacement necessary on the MBW GW? Could this be Genuine for that price?

A gen insert is all you need. The bezel of the 1665 is much thicker than the 5512/5513/1680.

Good luck.

That's not the bezel you want and it's definitely not genuine. I assume it's from Michael? It's a good bezel for the 5513/1680 but not right for the GW. It makes for an expensive but good MBW 1680 mod as the MBW bezel teeth don't look anything like the gen. I'm not sure how the MBW 1665 bezel compares to the gen in the teeth department, though.

I used (on recommendation) one of these:

www.pmwf.com/Watches/WATCHSALES04/WATCHACCESSORIES4/BezelInsertForRolex1680SwissMade/BezelInsertForRolex1680.htm

I also bought one of the illumes dots from Ofrei and am very pleased with the results. From my research here I think it is the best option other than sourcing the gen insert and pearl.

Hope this helps.

Folks <br />Thanks for the timely post as I've just got my first 1665 today. Its a fantastic thing. But mines been modded and for that vintage look the pearl has been removed. I can't help think I'd like it there. Could you please explain the term &quot; illumes dots from Ofrei&quot;. Can you point me in the direction of where I might get a vintage pearl. <br />Many thanks in advance

AH the power of google! That'll be oferi.com then. And I think I have my dots and pearls confused.

Edited by stormtooper4

Ubi, I've always wondered if you could elaborate on some of the differences between the gen and aftermarket inserts-

I've thought that I have noticed some of the differences, but I'm not sure if I am correct, or whether I've just spent way too much time staring at inserts. For instance, one thing I associate with the gen inserts is that they have more dimension, in the sense that it looks like they've been hand painted. There's a depth to the black that doesn't seem to get picked up in the aftermarkets, and they seem to have a finish that is different, in the sense of being more 'matte' than what I associate with most aftermarkets.

When light hits them, it reflects a matte grey at the point on the insert where the light hits.

One thing I have no doubt about after I first received the insert currently on my SD, there's no substitute. I think it's the most underrated upgrade.