When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine 1680 bracelet options *update w/pics pg.5

mezzanine

Oh, don't get me wrong; I love my modded reps. The whole idea of modding/building reps is a far more fascinating concept to me than simply buying a watch. This hobby has given me an entirely different perspective on watches in general; one that I'd have never realized with buying a gen. It's the thrill of the hunt with every part being a chase :) It's just funny to think that the sum of all the parts far outweigh the base upon which they are applied to make the watch whole.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest carlsbadrolex
Okay, it's official now - I will start selling my endlink collection to US members - seems like there is some ridiculous [censored] going on - 150$ WOW. I didn't count that 450$ for real, can't believe it. But if it's true, you can have a nice discount from me. :D

OK, send me details and payment info. I need a set of 580's PRONTO!

mezz, If I were to hazard a guess in this increasingly rarified air of gen parts, I'd say a clasp is $200-250, but I could be low. Last week on ebay I watched a 93150 w/ correct end pieces (can't remember which ones) go for $1476. Unbelieveable!

Great to see you back Ubi!

alligoat, thanks for the heads-up...

Ugh...I'm just about done chasing after some of these over-priced parts. I'm already feeling sorta on the fence about having spent what I already have on a bracelet. We'll see if something can be done for a clasp, but I'm not sure if I'm going to bend too far to try to make it happen-

I'm deep in thought trying to remember if I've come across anyone selling clasps for reasonable prices in my travels...I think I might have an idea, but I'll have to do some digging to see if I can come up with the person's contact info.

I cannot tell you how many times I have had to (seriously) question my sanity over the amount of money I shelled out for used Rolex parts over the years (since Rolex cut off the public's ability to purchase new stock over-the-counter from ADs, as I used to do until around the mid-90s), only to end up patting myself on the back a year or two later because the price for the same part had doubled or tripled during that time. And this cycle has repeated itself numerous times. Rolex parts prices continue to amaze me with their constant upward climb. Even for parts that used to be considered 'incidentals', like end links (the 1st Rolex part I ever bought (from an AD, back in 1985) for a rep watch was a pair of twotone end links for a Datejust, and I left the AD cursing them under my breath for having the gall to charge me $39.99/pair for the 2, small folded bits of steel & dabs of gold). And with demand for vintage Rolex watches & parts increasing all the while the supply is diminishing, the part you let pass today (due to its high price) will likely be the part you regret not paying through the nose for yesterday. Same goes for Valjouxs.

Thanks for the suggestions, Freddy- it looks like I've come up with a solution, though.

I'm trading the extra set of 580 end links + $50 for a genuine 91350 clasp. Seem like a reasonable deal?

This way I should be able to do some mixing and matching and come up with some franken bracelets for my two vintages.

I have a pair of 501 endlinks on my 1680, and I'm thinking I'll use the gen 78360 bracelet with those, and use the gen flip-lock in place of the oyster clasp.

With what's left over, I can put the 580's that came on the gen bracelet on the SeaDweller, keep the rep 91350 bracelet (which is good), and maybe swap the rep flip-lock for the gen oyster clasp. If I could find a cheap gen bracelet (bracelet only), then I could end up with two gen franken bracelets at a total cost to me of a little over $500 US.

I'm not sure about swapping the nice rep flip-lock off of my SD bracelet for a gen oyster clasp, that while genuine, isn't actually correct for this piece.

:lol:

Don't worry, I'm starting to get a feel for the market a bit, and I believe that we can do something similar again...

That the thing....I think it may pay with the bracelets to look at the idea of collecting pieces (endlinks, bracelet, clasp) individually, and trying to come up with a gen bracelet from parts....

It kinda runs contrary to what Ubi had mentioned earlier, that the parts are often more expensive than the whole, but that's all I'm trying to do right now is swap one piece for another... I've potentially gone from having two sets of 580's to actually needing a set, if things materialize.

I'm trading the extra set of 580 end links + $50 for a genuine 91350 clasp. Seem like a reasonable deal?

Not sure about that? I bought a 93150 clasp for a friend last year for about $150 and the going price for gen 580s seems to be anywhere from $200 to as high as $650 (not sure if they actually sell for this much, but I have seen 2 auctions that were bid this high). The clasp was only in good condition (had some scuffs & scratches, but functioned perfectly), so that may not be a good comparison & I have not done any extensive searches for them recently. They may be selling for more now.

But 1 man's trash is another man's treasure, so if the clasp ranks a higher priority for you than the links, it is a good deal.

It kinda runs contrary to what Ubi had mentioned earlier, that the parts are often more expensive than the whole, but that's all I'm trying to do right now is swap one piece for another... I've potentially gone from having two sets of 580's to actually needing a set, if things materialize.

Mezz -- Have you ever seen the prices automotive salvage ('junk') yards get for the parts they take off & sell from 'junked' cars? If you think the oil companies are making windfall profits, you would not believe how much junk cars are worth as parts. It is similar with watches, especially those that have the Rolex brand on them.

Not sure about that? I bought a 93150 clasp for a friend last year for about $150 and the going price for gen 580s seems to be anywhere from $200 to as high as $650 (not sure if they actually sell for this much, but I have seen 2 auctions that were bid this high). The clasp was only in good condition (had some scuffs & scratches, but functioned perfectly), so that may not be a good comparison & I have not done any extensive searches for them recently. They may be selling for more now.

But 1 man's trash is another man's treasure, so if the clasp ranks a higher priority for you than the links, it is a good deal.

Very interesting...thanks Freddy, this kind of information is gold.

I haven't been able to find them in searches, but I haven't got exhaustive yet with my focus.

I haven't been able to find them in searches, but I haven't got exhaustive yet with my focus.

For Rolex bracelet parts, I would start with Stan. He probably will not be the cheapest source, but he usually has or can get what you need. He also offers a bracelet reconditioning service if you find a marginal quality gen bracelet for a good price & do not want to perform the reconditioning yourself.

Oli, that's one thing that makes no sense to me whatsoever. Why are the prices so inflated on something like service parts, or even stuff like bracelets?

It makes me wonder whether it doesn't make sense to start putting stuff on Ebay. I'm into high end audio equipment as well, and I'm selling some expensive components in the same type of forum community like we have here. Thing is, I think I could probably do better outside of the 'niche' community, and I can't help but wonder if Ebay has turned into a sort of dumping ground for that type of inventory...

mezz-

It's all about what the market will bear for items that in general have limited availability/supply.

In the US, the parts don't flow quite as easily as other regions of the globe due to RSC policies, which differ by region. Also consider that an AD that doesn't adhere to these policies (say in the EU) will typically not sell parts to just anybody that drops in who asks to buy (i.e. one would usually have to present a watch, s/n, and/or other proof of ownership to gain this access). Add in the fact that the dollar is not as strong as, say the Euro or GBP; prices in U.S. terms have to be adjusted to stay competitive.

Just my perspective...

:)

I'm not sure about the superdomes, Oli....this is a really really interesting subject for me, as it's an insane market to try to wade into if you're not extremely knowledgable about pricing, etc...

I've seen the superdomes continuing to go around $250, which is more consistent with the price you probably would've paid for them. But the thing is, then there'll be some really bizarre outlier listing, where someone is asking for 700 and gets it that throws the entire balance out of whack, and makes me people start wondering whether they're sitting on some winning lottery tickets somewhere in their parts box.

It's very confusing for an outsider.

Some of the RSC's here have already stopped servicing 15xx movements. There are a select few who will, but you have to be on the 'A' list for that kind of treatment....

Rolex would prefer you buy something out of their 2008 catalog instead of servicing a 30 - 40yr old watch.

Oh, and speaking on Superdomes... Yeah, pricing is closer to $250 these days. They were at one point higher, but with more in circulation, that price seems to have adjusted down.

You guys want to hear a funny story?

A couple of nights ago I took some pictures of a set of vintage 580 endlinks that I wanted to list for sale.

So I set them out on my bed to be able to have a backdrop. I took the shots, then went into the living room to upload the pics.

I start to get contacted about the endlinks, decide to make a trade instead of selling them, and go to package them up...when I discover that one of them is missing!

This is just great...a tiny piece of metal that is probably worth more than solid 24k gold on a weight-basis. I start searching. An hour spent on my hands and knees scouring the floor and carpet and every nook and cranny.

Then I realize how futile it is, and email the other party to let them know what happened, fully expecting the guy to say "okay buddy, if you have another offer, just say so..."

But he was pretty cool about it. So I go back into the bedroom, and all of a sudden my cat pops up onto the bed, and picks up the other end link in his mouth and scampers off towards his litter box. I chase him down and retrieve the endlink.

Now I have a theory. So the cats have a secret spot where they'll take some of their illicitly gained goods to eat/play. I go and check...and low and behold, my missing endlink!

The 580 end pieces are perfect for the 1680. The correct bracelet would be the 93150. Early 1680's had the 9315 bracelet w/ the 280 or 380 end pieces.

You're 100% right

More like 70% right....

The earliest 1680's also had the 7206 rivet bracelet with 60 or 80 endpieces... My personal preference.

Yup, I hope that at some point I can find a nice deal on a 7206 rivet bracelet. In the meantime, I picked this up off of Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...E:X:RTQ:US:1123

Let me know what you guys think, as far as what you would pay for it-

I can't tell what endlink it is, but I think probably 592?

Anyways, it's four links of a 93160 A bracelet and the endlink. As best I can tell, all that's wrong with it is that it's missing a springbar to connect the endlink to the links.

It would go on my SeaDweller, as I'm pretty sure this bracelet was specific to the Seadwellers, but others would know more...