When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Custom problem, again...

Antonio_Montana

Bad news, customs took the watches I ordered from PureTime :o UPO and Slevin, i wanted those so bad *&^%$@!. The only thing i can do is say they can keep the watches, cause they will never return it... And if I make a problem of it I have to go to court explaining why and what and who blabla, not an option.

Since this is not the first time that customs 'destroys' a watch i've ordered i was wondering why the dealers keep sending Fedex priority to Europe. Or maybe the Netherlands is just very hard on it?

Wouldnt it be smarter to just airmail registred shipping everything cause i heard that way custom problems will be less? And if that is the case why dont the dealers do that always? They loose their products, he promised before I ordered at anytime he will reship for free if there will be problems so that is great, but his profit will be less, or zero.

Can anybody tell me why they keep shipping to the EU with priority 3/4days if those shippings have a bigger chance of being caught? I am just curious, and i needed to ventilate my anger of another watch that didnt arrive <_<

Edited by Antonio_Montana

Ordered with Andrew and Neill, no problems whatsoever, and they are in CN and Thailand. 14 days by airmail

Ordered a lot with Narikaa, again no problems..

Sorry to hear this m8... hope you get replacements

Edited by capice

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with customs. I have noticed an increasing amount of scrutiny of imported packages, especially those that ship by way of the overnight shippers like Ups, Fedex or Dhl. Best to avoid them if possible. Let the seller know what happened.......if customs sent you any forms, scan & email copies to your seller as proof that your watches were confiscated. Most sellers will reship through a different shipper. I would recommend EMS since that does not seem to attract as much attention as the other shippers. But there is no guarantee considering the nature of our hobby.

I hope your next order turns out better.

The Netherlands are tricky - EMS does not go there. It's something to do with TNT being Dutch owned I think, something along those lines anyway.

Dutch members may be to advise; I suspect airmail, or ordering via the EU is the way to go.

TNT is UKowned m8, but indeed airmail is the way to go

Or to avoid any issues with customs when you are in the EU, contact the UKbased dealers(sorry:collectors :)

like Narikaa, Homer or Precious Time

TNT is UKowned m8, but indeed airmail is the way to go

It's definitely Dutch these days - and as they run both TNT Express and the national postal service, EMS would cut into their Express service.

[TNT Express does operate worldwide, including the UK of course. I believe it used to be based in Australia, and then later Canada but it merged in 2002.]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TNT_N.V.

Had to put the link in code tags as it seems to strip out the full stop at the end otherwise.

So there you go! :)

There's one solution for this problem, that works all the time:

NEVER, EVER ORDER ANYTHING FROM NON-EU BASED DEALERS/MEMBERS.

My record with the Asian dealers: 3 orders -> 3 customs problems.

My record with the EU/US based dealers/members: 36+ orders -> 0 customs problems.

Wonder if there's a formula somewhere... ;)

Just for the record: The last watch from an Asian dealer got sent via registered airmail, and it got stuck into customs too. So it's not a bullet proof way, either. I did nothing, I just wait until they'll send it back.

Antonio,

did they really seize these watches ??? Or is it just the fact they need a proper invoice for your package due the fact the package itself did not contain such an invoice (or an invoice way below the value)?!?!?

When some watches got cought by my customs office, they simply send me a short notice to bring a proper invoice and I will get my stuff after paying a minimum fee (VAT and import tax).

IF the dutch customs opened your package and declare the stuff inside as illegal watch-replikas....outch....but you should have received a letter with their reason for keeping the goods. Show that letter to Angus and he will deffo reship new pieces.

Wish you luck,

Theo

When some watches got cought by my customs office, they simply send me a short notice to bring a proper invoice and I will get my stuff after paying a minimum fee (VAT and import tax).

The reason is simply different legislation, in Sweden it's still allowed for a person to import (for private use only) a replica. According to 'Tullverket', repeated imports, or several items in a package, may be concidered as illegal.

In other countries you may be fined heavily for the same thing (up to 8k EUR in France I think).

Enjoy it while you can; the Swedish legislation may change sooner or later as it's not in line with the intention of the current EU legislation.

Sorry for you if your watches are effectively sized by customs.

Here is my experience, I don't know if it is universal truth but I can share with you : I live in France. I've received around 10 replicas by airmail from different dealers located in different places (CN, Thailand, USA, GB) without any problems. I have purchased 2 genuine (Tag Monaco 25th anniversary and Tag Carrera Chrono) sent from Indonesia to France by Fedex and I always had to pay taxes (around $300 at each time). I think that there are too many parcels and letters which come by international postal service to be controled by customs. A friend of mine who works in Paris airport told me that less than 1% of the parcels are verified instead of 10% of the delivery companies. Overall, in many cases, delivery companies report themselves the "suspect" parcels.

The French legislation provides a fine equal to ten times the value of the counterfeit goods ($30 000 for a Monaco for example) and a prison sentence (up to 3 years). In fact, if they consider that it's only for your own using (you are not considered as a dealer) they just keep it.

So, my advice :

- Buy your watches one by one.

- Use normal postal service (airmail).

hello

i am a seller too. some time. china customs or china post office man they take watch also. but most of time the watch check by oversea contry customs. and i also advice send by normal register air mail to few country. especially Europe...... but register air mail is very slow and easy lose.

but better then your watch check by customes.

i still remember few week ago. i send few watchs to my buyer. then customs check his watch. he send a lawyer letter to customs. because i declare as gift. and my buyer ask me write a e-mail to him. let me tell customs that watch is gift. finally customs return those watch to him. :)

but until now. i have very less watch check by customs. i have my own way to send watch out without any problem. i send normal register mail to UK. only one week,

My record with the EU/US based dealers/members: 36+ orders -> 0 customs problems.

Just for the record: The last watch from an Asian dealer got sent via registered airmail, and it got stuck into customs too. So it's not a bullet proof way, either. I did nothing, I just wait until they'll send it back.

you know what. the EU/US dealer also import watch from China. i have meet lot of EU/US buyer every day. they come to china import watch. they also have very big risk when they leave from china customs.

My opinion is that it's the most save way to buy within the EU.

If you decide to go to the Far East with your purchase the only more or less save way is reg airmail.

Then again i got a watch conviscated 2 weeks ago that came via reg airmail out of China.

Indeed we are a strange country but there is a difference in traveling 2 times a year abroad or sending 2 watches every dat by post.

Carpe Diem

Cats

.....Let the seller know what happened.......if customs sent you any forms, scan & email copies to your seller as proof that your watches were confiscated........

Well they just mailed me a letter with : there are 2 watches that are illegal here in the netherlands in my package, cause they're replicas (they assume that offcourse since the way it is shipped is not the way gen's are shipped ;)

I think i'll do that the next time, all the stress and waiting and doubt is not good for my health, the only good thing is it is cheaper to order from asian dealers than from the EU dealers. But next time i probably pay the extra money to order without stress, maybe it is worth it...

Keep y'all posted, cheers.

Edited by Antonio_Montana