When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Iphone

swemoose

I was going to suggest, that, rather than the iPhone, you take a look at the Cect P168. (you'll find a load on eBay, and Ken sells them as well) but, if you definitely want 8GB storage, they might not work... They can definitely take 1 and 2 GB transflash cards, but, people are unsure if they can also use the higher capacity.

If you want something which looks 'close enough' to the iPhone, then it's an awesome phone. I'll be posting a review of mine within 24 hours, so that might be of help :) Of course, if you definitely want an iPhone, then that's that :lol:

If you want something which looks 'close enough' to the iPhone, then it's an awesome phone. I'll be posting a review of mine within 24 hours, so that might be of help :) Of course, if you definitely want an iPhone, then that's that :lol:

Unlike replica watches, you can't expect the same functionality in replica phones. Having said that, if you're buying an iPhone for the style, sure, get a rep. I bought mine for the functionality.

Unlike replica watches, you can't expect the same functionality in replica phones. Having said that, if you're buying an iPhone for the style, sure, get a rep. I bought mine for the functionality.

I agree, the functionality is different between the P168 and the iPhone, but, overall, it depends what functions are important to the user, as to if it's actually necessary to buy the iPhone rather than a similar smart-phone.

Something which should be pointed out though, is, although the P168 is available with an Apple branding, the unbranded phones are not really replicas of the iPhone. Inspired by, (copied :lol: ) certainly, but, it has enough style differences to stand alone simply as a smart-phone. (Even if the best wallpapers and loadscreens are Apple-based ;) )

Your review of the iPhone was what inspired me to write a review of the P168, so when I post it, I'll be interested for your input.

Your review of the iPhone was what inspired me to write a review of the P168, so when I post it, I'll be interested for your input.

You'll get my opinion, yes. I'm interested in finding out more.

Will you be able to borrow an iPhone for comparison, or nip to your local Apple Store/O2 store, etc.?

If not, I'll be down in London the first week of March ...

You'll get my opinion, yes. I'm interested in finding out more.

Will you be able to borrow an iPhone for comparison, or nip to your local Apple Store/O2 store, etc.?

If not, I'll be down in London the first week of March ...

I've had a look at the iPhones in the o2 store, although this isn't really a comparitive review, just a review of the P168 'as is'.

The comparitive comments I found on a forum devoted to the P168, and a few observations from my own observations of the iPhone.

I should have the review online later this evening :)

To be fair the p168 is quite old, they have newer versions, like the a380i, which is a lot better looking.

In regards to the real Iphone, order it from the apple store to somebody in the states and have them ship it to you. The prices on ebay are still absurdly high considering unlocking them is extremely easy.

Edited by AdamW

Ken, I think Pugwash was refering to the phone Teejay was talking about, not your ones. Shame our data costs are so high here (at least on optus) or I would consider getting one of these iphones too - had a bit of a play with one a few weeks ago, I can see what the hype is all about.

To be fair the p168 is quite old, they have newer versions, like the a380i, which is a lot better looking.

In regards to the real Iphone, order it from the apple store to somebody in the states and have them ship it to you. The prices on ebay are still absurdly high considering unlocking them is extremely easy.

That's an interesting suggestion :) That said, I'd say that the A380i is further away from the iPhone visually than the P168, and I daresay, less attractive than the P168. It also has the exact same functions, they have not even kicked the phone up to two megapixels... If it is indeed, doing the same things as the P168, (although the menus appear slightly different (but that could just be a wallpaper, as demonstrated in my review) ) then it is without doubt, probably an excellent smart-phone. In terms of it being an 'iClone', however, personally, I'd still say the P168 is the visually closer candidate ;)

Edited by TeeJay

I paid AUD$900 unlocked last September from a guy in Sydney.... I had him upgrade to firmware 1.1.2 from 1.1.1 in December.

The unlocking process method depends on which firmware you currently have on the iPhone, everyone of them have a unique unlocking method. That is why they command such a high price when unlocked. Took him about an hour to unlock 1.1.2 at the time... I'm sure there's an easier method now to unlock that version.

If you buy them new unlocked... the firmware will probably be 1.1.3. I saw an auction for an unlocked 8gb with that firmware version for about AUD$1000.

If you buy them new unlocked... the firmware will probably be 1.1.3. I saw an auction for an unlocked 8gb with that firmware version for about AUD$1000.

That's expensive, especially when you consider you just have to run a simple application to unlock the phone now.

As a side note, my research into the A380i has revealed that it has a motion-sensitive control, and wallpapers can be changed with a flick of the wrist :o As interesting this might first seem, I wonder how many people will wind up launching their phones across the room while trying to demonstrate this function to their friends after one too many... ;):lol: