When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bad day at the PAM assembly factory...

RWG Technical

This watch was sent in, as received from a dealer...after a look, I re-assembled it and returned it to the owner untouched. Why, well have a look and you'll see why...

Far too many things wrong and not worth trying to fix.

First up, keyless works...a bit of grinding going on here...how does a brand new unworn watch get in this condition?

1.jpg

More metal fillings on the dial and damage on the dial from assembly.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Crap in the screw slot.

4.jpg

Figured I may as well have a look at the dial, so I split the sandwich dial only to find that the upper half of the dial was missing it's alignment pins, they were ground off...and the bottom half was flat and not able to be lumed. Normal dials have a slight recess on them, and actual numeral outlines. The recess gives you a place to apply the lume, hard to do on this one with neither the recess or the outline of the numbers to follow...

5.jpg

More metal fillings.

6.jpg

Bit of an alignment issue with the CG?

11.jpg

12.jpg

Seems like someone is missing a bit of arm hair after inserting the CG pin...

10.jpg

Got the caseback re-installed only to find it was machined crooked...fully tightened, check out the gap and no gap from one side to the other... Don't think I would swim with this baby...

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Keep in mind, this is a BRAND new watch...the owner can speak up with more details if he chooses.

I would keep a look out for similar ones, normally things like this don't happen in isolation. Lets hope this is not a new trend.

Thanks for looking.

RG

I had a feeling this would be about the one I sent you when I read the subject. This was one of Angus' ultimate 111h. I was mostly happy with it (I really hadn't noticed some of the issues...I don't have as keen an eye as some of you) but I wanted stronger lume (even thought it was relumed, it just wasn't as bright as the other superlumed watches I have) and figured I could get it serviced and small things like the CG could be taken care of. Absolutely no more buying premodded watches for me.

Embarrasingly, the thread (and it IS thread! I assure you I don't have white arm hair) in the CG pin is my fault however. :lol:

I haven't bothered talking to Angus about it since I decided to be done with 111 reps. The Zigmeister's email earlier this week was the final straw while I was still going back and forth trying to decide whether to stop.

Normally Angus's Pams are pretty good I thought..That was the impression from looking at them and reading the reviews.

Nothing like a knowledgeable watchsmith delving further to uncover what issues lie underneath though.

I'm hoping this is a one off.

Vacuum exposed some issues with the Es too. They keyless works looks eerily familiar.

This brings to light a big problem.... Reviews are only as good (so to speak) as the person giving them. Once you get something like this into the hands of a The Zigmeister, all the details - many of them glaring problems - are going to be exposed which otherwise would not be. Thanks, The Zigmeister. This is exactly what we need to see more of around here... Hopefully not consistently so disturbing, though. :)

i ordered one of the mod'd pam from angus before xmas(?) and it eventually showed up but I was having issues with the crown not fully engaged(?) to wind the watch properly. it would slip and spin freely until i pressed it in hard and then it would engage again. i had to wind it carefully. sent it back to get it sorted out.

hopefully the insides doesnt look like this :(