When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stinky

Victoria

Unsure about which kind of smell you mean, Vicky. Would you post a sample, so we can help better?

Of the smell? Does RWG-Smell-O-Post.cc exist? :p

Just kidding, Sss! Thank you, I will take a photo of the offensive article so you can get a visual.

The strap itself smells closest to turpentine.

So I would try heat at first, especially in combination with some solvents that you already tried at room temperature.

Naturally, better 2 hours at 60 (centigrade) degrees that 2 minutes at 1000. ;)

You are guaranteed that the sooner or later you will find a temperature+solvent combination that will get you rid of the smell.

Probably of the strap too.

This sounds very intricate, and not a little dangerous, :sss:!

I think I'll stick to the rubbing alcohol and then using your suggestion, of baking it in the sun. At least I hope that's what you suggested. ;)

Thank you!

This sounds very intricate, and not a little dangerous, :sss:!

I think I'll stick to the rubbing alcohol and then using your suggestion, of baking it in the sun. At least I hope that's what you suggested. ;)

Thank you!

Victoria, I am serious when I said " you have probably used too many conditioners for the strap to get back to anything useful". I guess at this point you feel you have nothing to lose, but unless you want a strap that is toally crap, do not do the rubbing alcohol method. I don't know where that information for leather came from, but it's incorrect. That will only make matters worse.

The only way to get the smells out of the strap would take a very long time and even then the strap's quality will have faded to nothing.

If you MUST wear this strap, the only thing I can recommend at this point would be to mask it with perfumes or lotions. Not on the leather itself, but around your wrists areas. If that doesn't work, I'm afraid you have to chalk this one up to experience.

do not do the rubbing alcohol method.

Ahem, I'm not a fool, Tootall, I know. :p

I know a lot of the things said here were said with a kind heart, or just to take the mickey. I'm grateful for the first, and disregard the others with a wink and a nod.

Having said that, you have ALWAYS helped me in these strap threads. Thank you so much!

If you MUST wear this strap, the only thing I can recommend at this point would be to mask it with perfumes or lotions. Not on the leather itself, but around your wrists areas. If that doesn't work, I'm afraid you have to chalk this one up to experience.

That's sound advice. There is NO way to mask this with perfumes -- it's a nauseating smell, which permeated my leather watch case, and other straps. I put it there for a day, and realised my deep mistake the next.

It's like some agent was put on the strap in the leathermaking process, and the Strap Culture people sent it to me thinking I wouldn't notice --or-- to simply offload stock.

We see this time and time again from our Far East Asian collectors, with watches. It must be a cultural quirk to think the customer can be had this way, so blatantly. There can be no other reason.

That's sound advice. There is NO way to mask this with perfumes -- it's a nauseating smell, which permeated my leather watch case, and other straps. I put it there for a day, and realised my deep mistake the next.

Like I said before, you can only mask a stink with something of greater stink. :lol:

Did you happen to try contacting Strap Culture and seeing if they could do anything for you? After all, you may have a guiness book record for the number of straps owned and they may just need to sponsor you or something. A similar thing happened to a newer version swatch. I made a mistake and was wearing it to the gym sweating on it. You are right...it is the worst smell. Even worse, mine was giving me a rash around my wrist that itched like crazy. I contacted Swatch USA and they sent out a replacement...no questions asked. That is standing up for a product. I will definitely purchase from them again.

-brent

Did you happen to try contacting Strap Culture and seeing if they could do anything for you?

Can you believe it, Brent? This was the replacement strap. The first strap arrived with other, less stinkier, issues. Like the backing was coming off, and looked as if it were chewed by a dog...I didn't phrase it this way when complaining about it, obviously.

I bought one more strap from them, for my Radiomir, but that's it. Each was tougher than the other. I'm happy Rolli, Slai and others like SC, but I am not plumping down one more cent for theirs.

The guy who helped me couldn't have been more apologetic. In hindsight, I wonder if he wasn't making fun of me by sending me the strap, but I doubt it. That's just my disappointment talkin', perhaps.

TeeJay, I would've sent you on this strap LIKE THAT, if not for the smell. It's just up your alley -- brown, and thick. Comes with the case, but not the card.

Alcohol on leather straps is fine. The smell is hydrocarbon based, therefore another hydrocarbon will remove it. It's the same principle as dry cleaning and a hell of a lot kinder than water. I also make bespoke leather jackets for a living and intimately know what can and cannot be done to leather. Alcohol is fine as long as it is not of an unusual colour and the colour can be restored by reconditioning at the end of the process.

Of the smell? Does RWG-Smell-O-Post.cc exist? :p

RWG-Smell-O-Post.cc??? Unfortunately it does not exist, Vicky! :lol:

Rather, I see that this board program does not also allow .sml files as attachements.

No problem, just take the .sml file, embed it into a .zip file, and post the zip as an attachement.