When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ebay bans cash wire transfers

KB

eBay has tried to stop cowboys from stealing your money by outlawing hard to trace instant cash wire transfers such as Western Union, MoneyGram and e-gold.

So it would seem that the bay is now taking action on deals that a smart person shouldn't enter anyway.

Gotta wonder if they are looking for knee jerk ways to get some good press after all the negative stuff they have been getting recently?

Ken

Guest carlsbadrolex

My company has over 15k feedback with a 99.4% positive rating. We do about $5k per day in sales and are SERIOUSLY considering putting our eggs in another basket. We have slowly been migrating to other venues and putting considerable time and effort into our own website. Soon, Ebay will be nothing more than a penny auction liquidation venue for us.

Guest carlsbadrolex

What Ebay is slowly doing is making it nearly impossible for a seller to have any protection. A seller can agree to accept common rocks in exchange for the item being auctioned. But Ebay will not give any protection to either party if something goes wrong. I have had to stop offering Will Call pickup because in December I had an Ebay customer pick up 12 electric guitars. She paid in half cash and half from her paypal account. I have a signed receipt AND video of her picking the guitars up.

She then went home and filed a claim with paypal stating we didnt ship the guitars to her. Of course we did not have a tracking number showing shipment to her address, and Paypal gave her the money back.

So where are people going to go? Ioffer and CQout is great for replica/counterfiet items, but ebay is better if you are looking for the real thing and know what you're doing. Its terrible for suckers, but hey what isn't?

Ebay is getting ridiculous, but it still is a fast way to get rid of anything you don't want, and you can do it in a hurry. It's pretty safe for the most part, but a rip off for sellers. Now we have to pay ebay fees, which are increasing, and paypal fees since thats going to be the only way, and ebay is going to be making all the money.

I guess it's time to go to craigslist.org.... oh wait thats owned by ebay too now....AHHHH!

What Ebay is slowly doing is making it nearly impossible for a seller to have any protection. A seller can agree to accept common rocks in exchange for the item being auctioned. But Ebay will not give any protection to either party if something goes wrong. I have had to stop offering Will Call pickup because in December I had an Ebay customer pick up 12 electric guitars. She paid in half cash and half from her paypal account. I have a signed receipt AND video of her picking the guitars up.

She then went home and filed a claim with paypal stating we didnt ship the guitars to her. Of course we did not have a tracking number showing shipment to her address, and Paypal gave her the money back.

Damn, that's a cold move for someone to pull on a business. One thing's for sure, I bet she'll get some heavy comeuppance in the future for it though.

If this is how eBay carries on, I think before long, no one will want to deal with them (buyers or sellers)

Ebay has reached the 'holy grail' of any business plan.

Their brand is synonymous with their product.

People say "ebay it" instead of "auction it".

Ebay is as likely to fade away as Microsoft... not gona happen.

The vast majority of sellers are happy with using ebay.

There will always be some that get stung and bad news spreads faster than good news.

Ebay has allowed me to sell items to practically every country in the world.

There really is no other way to get this much exposure in the market.

She paid in half cash and half from her paypal account. I have a signed receipt AND video of her picking the guitars up.

Sorry to ask.

Did this not seem suspect?

Why did you not request full-cash or bank transfer etc. for such a high value deal.

Especially since paypal does not cover cash-collect.

An article I read recently (may have been linked from here somewhere) suggested the biggest problem eBay faces is that they have made global trading an in your lounge room thing and have thus educated everyone on the value of listed items regardless of where they are put up for sale in the world.

Basically eBay has become like grand central station, if you miss your train there will be another in a couple of minutes and probably cheaper.

The big profits that sellers used to make for different or unusual goods are a thing of the past as no matter what you have to sell there are many others with the same items, so profits are hard won and this is where the rot is setting in.

Ken