When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best leather strap finish

Magiko

Hello firends,

I have been working with leather as a hobby for a while, as i have been immersing myself deeper and deeper into the beautiful abyss of replicas. I had the idea to start making my own leather straps.

I work with an old school awl, waxed thread for stitching and beeswax (best old school) to finish the edges of my pieces. I have noticed for quite some time now, that watchmakers use this gum-like substance to finish and seal the edgesof the strap. I have been looking for some time now and I have not been able to find what this product is. I have searched in prior posts without any luck. Does anyone know the composition of this material or product? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Magiko

Edited by Magiko

Magiko, I was sure someone better qualified than I would've answered, but just to get the ball rolling, I believe you're talking of EdgeKote. :)

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/products.asp?dept=174

2225-01-L.JPG

Greg Stevens uses it for many of his rough-hewn but finished straps. This what the CHII looks like new:

CHAntique.jpg

And the older CH Classic, aged.

crazyhorsereversetn5.jpg

@Magiko: Alas! It's not my own made-strap. Please read again. :)

They're from the famous strapmaker from Paneristi.com -- Greg Stevens. These two examples can be found on his blog: gregstraps.blogspot.com.

Perhaps he has more details, although I am sure V, Tootall, and others will let you know better!

Thanks, I will try it. Is it water resistant? I see many of the products in the page are water based.

Nice strap, what machine do you use for the stitching?

What do you need it to be water resistant for?

Also, I am glad that you can see too that Greg is no longer "handmaking" his straps. HE is not even making them himself anymore period. They are sewn on machine and built by someone else.

What do you need it to be water resistant for?

Also, I am glad that you can see too that Greg is no longer "handmaking" his straps. HE is not even making them himself anymore period. They are sewn on machine and built by someone else.

Just want to understand the material's property, that's all. Tootall, do you know what type of machine is used to sew these straps? I do not know much about sewing machines, but do know that the sewing machine motor has to be powerful enough to handle piercing through 2 layers of leather. Therefore I think it may have to be a special kind, but maybe not. Thanks for the reply

I've used this product before and while it may look somewhat like what you would see on the stock straps, it's not. Like you, I still haven't found the exact same thing, however, have experiemented with basic acrylic artist paint labeled as heavy body. The only problem now is getting it on the edge as smooth as the stock straps come out of the factory. I have found it somewhat difficult to paint on without having a bunch of raised edges in the acrylic. It appears to be the same consistency as that of the stock strap. I have a feeling that they are applying it with a specific machine. There is another product from fiebings called edge enamel and I'm wondering if this might be what we need. I haven't experiemented with that product yet.

-xlr8tn

I've used this product before and while it may look somewhat like what you would see on the stock straps, it's not. Like you, I still haven't found the exact same thing, however, have experiemented with basic acrylic artist paint labeled as heavy body. The only problem now is getting it on the edge as smooth as the stock straps come out of the factory. I have found it somewhat difficult to paint on without having a bunch of raised edges in the acrylic. It appears to be the same consistency as that of the stock strap. I have a feeling that they are applying it with a specific machine. There is another product from fiebings called edge enamel and I'm wondering if this might be what we need. I haven't experiemented with that product yet.

-xlr8tn

Thanks for the input, there is only one way to find out, let's use it. I have some croc that is begging me for some work done!. I have used anamel before, but not in straps. I think that might be it! it just has that type of consistency, I will try it.

For what i can observe, it seems they use some kind of molding and let gravity act on the edges. if they use any brush or applicator it may mark it.

Just want to understand the material's property, that's all. Tootall, do you know what type of machine is used to sew these straps? I do not know much about sewing machines, but do know that the sewing machine motor has to be powerful enough to handle piercing through 2 layers of leather. Therefore I think it may have to be a special kind, but maybe not. Thanks for the reply

I have no idea about what type or model of sewing machine that Greg has. I only handstitch. Furthermore, why are you wanting to know? unless you plan to go into strap making as a business it shouldn't matter. Is that what you are asking for?

I don't mean to come across rude, I just want to know the motive behind your questions.

Lastly, the product that most closely resembles what the mass produced and machine made straps (TC) have on their edges is a product called Cova Color. You can mix and match to get the shade(s) you want and it goes on fine. The raised edges problem is due more to the edge of the leather not being "clean" to begin with.

Edited by tootall

I have no idea about what type or model of sewing machine that Greg has. I only handstitch. Furthermore, why are you wanting to know? unless you plan to go into strap making as a business it shouldn't matter. Is that what you are asking for?

I don't mean to come across rude, I just want to know the motive behind your questions.

Lastly, the product that most closely resembles what the mass produced and machine made straps (TC) have on their edges is a product called Cova Color. You can mix and match to get the shade(s) you want and it goes on fine. The raised edges problem is due more to the edge of the leather not being "clean" to begin with.

tootall,

Thanks for the input I appreciate it. I like leather a lot, but just as a hobby. The reason why I ask about a machine is because the thread tension, as you may know in machines it's flawless, in hand sewing it is just alot harder to achieve, plus I work with waxed thread.