When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Did My Dremel Tool Destroy My Eta Sub?

purspeed

As I attempt to mod my TW Classic rollie, I used my Dremel tool to polish the edges of the case. Now I feel this vibration from inside the movement and I get a sneak'n suspicion that it's a release mechanism for overwind.

Can the vibrations from the dremel quickly overwind the Automatic ETA?

Thanks! :)

i read a thread on tz about playing golf while waring a sub and they said the impact from driving the ball would not hurt the movement. the eta movement is world class and is used in thousands of watches. i don't know what the sound is you are hearing but i don't know how a dremal tool could have hurt it unless it caught it and slung it crashing into something across the room.

Could it be that the vibration has loosened the screw holding the auto winder?

There have been a number of reps sent out with winders loose or completely off.

That vibration you feel, may be the rotor galloping around - free!

Time for an internal inspection I suspect.

Offshore

No, but they can vibrate the insides enough to make the ratchet pop out, in theory.

There are certain kinds of vibrations that can hurt watches. They're fairly resilient items, and are usually damped by being on a wrist, but applying vibrations directly to the case isn't the same as hooking a 9-iron.

I'd suggest that f the watch is running you dodged a bullet, but if not, I'd get it seen to. Hmm ... that's rather obvious, really. :D

are cheap watches from wal-mart more durable? quartz movements? i work for boeing and most of the people ware generally cheap watches, timex and so, on driving 3/16 and 1/4 in rivits with powerful rivit guns all day. we are suppose to ware special vibration damping gloves and straps around our forearms with gel filled bags to help absorb vibrations but most of the time we don't because they are very cumbersome. all of my joints in my hands, arms and shoulders are shot, but yet these guys ware these type of watches until the batteries are gone then just buy new ones. out of the hundres of people i work with i haven't seen or heard of the pounding they take every day harming them nor is there any special brand that we are buying. everybodys watches look very beat up and are not new. all day long we are hitting them on every thing, reaching down into holes in assemblys drilling holes, bucking rivits, grinding on parts pounding with hammers and rivit guns. is a quartz movement inherintly more durable? the vibration from a dremmel is nothing more than a tire out of balance on the front of your car with your hand on the steering wheel compared to what i see every day, all day long. just curious. this is what i see every day. i just laughed when i read the thread on tz about driving golf balls with your sub on. some of those guys actually take them off to play. can you imagine taking off your rolex because it is not durable enough to play golf. what a bunch of crap.lol

Much, much more durable.

i was just curious as i know nothing about movements. i see this everyday and it just made me wonder. so for rough work it is best to just find a quartz watch that appels to you and use that. for all out durability would it be better to use a digital or normal watch with hands. i don't seem to see a preferance at work. i do not ware a watch at work but i was thinking about getting one (with hands). any suggestions on something cool looking that is durable? invicta with swiss ecotec quartz? i really like the ocean ghost crono. something like that? any suggestions would be appreciated. i just wanted something that still looked intresting.

any suggestions on something cool looking that is durable?

If you're going Quartz, you may as well go Chrono. I am not a Tag fan, but they have some nice ones, and Breitling and Omega do some fine Qs. Or, I just have my mighty Timberland ... :D

71225-32515.jpg