When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen 580's?

Guest carlsbadrolex

Guest carlsbadrolex

Take a look at the pics and let me know if you believe them to be genuine. The two things I notice are the SIZE of the numbers and the fact that they are so clearly engraved. The 580's I have had in the past appeared to be stamped and the numbers were much larger.

These also appear much to thin and for a datejust and not a sports model.

Opinions appreciated!

post-7311-1204599161_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1204599176_thumb.jpg

Guest carlsbadrolex

OK, glad to hear it and thank you to those who obviously know more about these than I. I simply could not find another reference picture of gens with such clear and small engraving. As we all know, Rolex likes to change things up a bit!

I was taking another close look and the stuff I usually look for is:

-sharp edges at the corners where the endlink meets the case (on the top)

-the biggest thing are the springbar holes being sized and placed correctly

-no opening or gap where the springbars meet the interior lug holes

-tabs are assymetrical in size, one is bigger than the other

That doesn't speak to the engraving. I'm not sure there's a good 580 rep endlink, is there?

Right now I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to go for a genuine flip-lock clasp for my 78360 w/580's.

The stock number engraved on the underside of gen Rolex end links is relatively small compared to what I have seen on every set of rep end links. But, to be honest, if you can find a pair of 580 rep links with the correct shape, I would get them. The gens are made from slightly heavier gauge metal & the edges have better finishing (nothing new there), but the differences are so small that, unless you are fitting them to a gen bracelet, I think it makes more sense to go with reps since they will be so much cheaper & no one can tell the difference from the outside.

I would love to find the correct 93150 hollow mid-link band with the correct 580 end pieces- esp in a rep band. Most of the rep 580 end pieces have the little notch cut-out on each end of the backside. Paul has some nice hollow mid-link bands, but not necessarily 93150's.

Couple of really nice bracelets available on the FS part of the forum...couple of bracelets that happen to come with the very same endlinks that are the subject of so much debate in this thread!

If the endlinks go for $250, then is $500 a good deal for a whole bracelet with those endlinks? :)

I just did a quick look as I have two different sets of 580's right now, and both sets are different. The engraving of '580' on one pair is small and very precisely machined. On the other one, it looks less precise and more like the ones pictured above (the 585's).

So there is definitely a difference between them.

If it is gen (and in good condition), yes. Entire gen bracelets have been hovering around the $1,000 mark for the past few months & will likely continue higher.

Both are gen, and both are currently available for $500 US to RWG members in the sales section of the site, in the "straps and bracelets" subsection.

As I've told a couple of friends here, I'm listing both, but once one has sold, I'm likely going to withdrawal the other and use it with my 16660.