When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BCE Water Resistence

mucrewbtp

Has anyone recently pressure tested a Breitling Chronomat Evolution? I have one on which I greased the case back and pusher seals that I regularly wear in the shower with no problem. However, I am going on vacation soon and would like to know if it would be safe to wear it in a pool. Any test results or personal experience on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Mike

I wouldn't wear it in the shower at all, with the heat expanding metal and all, even water resistant watches have problems getting hot water on them. Just read some of the other threads on this issue.

still curious on why anybody would shower with a watch on :cc_confused:

I thought that was the best place to test the chrono function on any watch..you know to see how long it takes for the soap to rinse off your skin B)

Thanks for all of the opinions, I wish I could find somewhere to get the watch pressure tested. Is there any sort of chain type watch store that commonly has pressure testing equipment? I haven't been able to find any real watchmakers in my area.

Thanks,

Mike

When it comes to chronos just dont do it. When your going to shower take off your watch...any watch gen or rep. The steam, soap and hot water will not do your watch well over time. In terms of swimming I personally wont wear any watch to the beach. The sand and salt water are just not a good idea. You will end up with a scratched up watch.....now do you really want to scratch up such a nice piece? When it comes to a pool I have no problems jumping in with my non chronos as long as I have tested in advance. Get your nice watch full of water and its ruined.

I don't even bring my gen breitlings near water, why risk such a nice watch?

What risk? It's a genuine Breitling! Isn't the premium price paid for these watches good for anything or is it all about image? Is it the cost of servicing? Aren't gaskets replaced during a movement service anyways?

When I think of Breitling, TAG, Rolex, etc.. I think of .00001 tolerances, strength, reliability.. Timepieces that were built and marketed to weather whatever storm you throw at it (within reason of course). I can understand protecting gens from scratches and the like, but water?

Could easily be that i'm too "wet behind the ears" in this hobby to fully understand.

When I go into the ocean.. i have on my Invicta divers.. why would you want to wear a rep into the ocean or pool or even shower ? what practical purpose does it serve ? If I'm diving why should i want to risk a divers watch that could malfunction ?

After all is said and done, even reinforcing the gaskets with silicone or whatever.. it is still a replicated watch... period ?

to my knowledge no company even genuine brands claim their timepieces to be water"proof" .. water resistant yes,... but I have never read or heard a claim for 100 % guaranteed water proof... I stand corrected if I am in error but ...my only question is ...WHY risk safety or the safety of the rep (whichever comes first)... by immersing it even in the shower... there are other ways to keep it clean.. :lol:

I'm with UB7... I don't shower, swim or go anywhere near saltwater with my gens... or my reps.

The last time I swam with a watch? A Casio G-shock when I was 7, cause I was intrigued with it's water resistance.

Some of these high quality reps are based on the real deal... which it's water resistance depends on the design (screw down crown & pushers gasket...etc). In the case of the BCE... it should be fine, but get it pressure tested with your watchmaker if you are not sure. Just because 1976's BCE is fine doesn't necessarily mean that your's is.

Remember, these are reps... the consistency of their assembly is questionable.

Its funny, I'm new to the rep world. I've never even thought twice about getting gen breitling and omega and I've never had an issue with them either. However having seen the Quality Control or lack thereof on some reps, I'm not thinking it prudent to get them pressure tested so I won't have to think twice about what watch I'm wearing. I'm not talking anything extreme like diving, for that I'd buy a cheap japanese watch.