When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mates That Dont Like Reps!!

djtimodj

Just had one of my mates round today and i was wearing my breitling chrono avenger Ti from PT. He noticed it and asked to have a look, i took it off handed it to him. He shuck it and had a little look and handed it back to me making a funny face?. I was a bit gutted at his reaction due to me thinking that this rep was real good?

Any of you guys have the same problem with freinds that do not like reps no matter how good they are ??

Also what watches out there feel as good or near to the gen ?? my next purchase is the Omega SMP from PT.

any help guys ??

Thanks Tim.

Edited by djtimodj

Just had one of my mates round today and i was wearing my breitling chrono avenger Ti from PT. He noticed it and asked to have a look, i took it off handed it to him. He shuck it and had a little look and handed it back to me making a funny face?. I was a bit gutted at his reaction due to me thinking that this rep was real good?

Any of you guys have the same problem with freinds that do not like reps no matter how good they are ??

Also what watches out there feel as good or near to the gen ?? my next purchase is the Omega SMP from PT.

any help guys ??

Thanks Tim.

The look and feel of the rep Chrono Avenger Ti is very very close to the gen. I do not think you can tell if it is a rep without compairing them side by side. I think the problem there is between yuo and your friend.

As with most Ti rep or genuine, people immiediately think they are fake due to the lack of weight. A friend has a genuine Aerospace Ti and quite a few people who know very little about watches (and some who know quite a bit) initially say its fake because they expect a Breitling to weigh the same as a small car.

As with most Ti rep or genuine, people immiediately think they are fake due to the lack of weight. A friend has a genuine Aerospace Ti and quite a few people who know very little about watches (and some who know quite a bit) initially say its fake because they expect a Breitling to weigh the same as a small car.

You might be right about the weight thing because my Aerospace is very light too. I have to admit I was very surprised how light the PAM025 was the first time I held one of those too. Many people don't realize how light titanium really is. :)

I had coffee with a Toronto Purist last week and I wore a genuine AP JPM Offshore, I slipped it off my wrist for him to have a look, while I drooled at his genuine Patek Philippe 5970. He asked me if it was fake, because it was so light, and I said, no of course not, because it was made of titanium.

I think it's the weight that throws people off, as the Offshore is a huge watch, but a lot lighter in Titanium.

Did he actually say "Thats a Fake, I dont like fake's? " or did you just jump to the conclusion by his reaction ? It might not necessarily be the fact he thinks its the weight or a replica at all, a lot of people don't actually like the "dirty" look of Titanium as I have been told many times. Infact I was also told once while wearing my old Avenger ti that I should take it in and have it polished up :rolleyes: If your first reaction is "oh no im busted" you're going to have a hard time pass off any of your reps as gen to friends since friends love to break balls ;)

Edited by exper

He shuck it and had a little look and handed it back to me making a funny face?.

Maybe he just doesnt like the Avenger! =)

I wore my Ti GST today into 3 ADs today and no one said anything. Mind you I was looking at girl watches and hence didn't take mine off to try anything.

But actually I find that when I wear my Gen Speedy Pro and takes it off at high end ADs to try other watches, they like to take a really hard look at it and stuff. I'd imagine that they are checking it our to see if it is a gen or a rep cause they sell the bloody thing there! It is not like they haven't seen a speedy pro before! Usually they hand back the watch with a comment like... 'can't go wrong with a classic speedy pro' or something. Wonder if they just assume I wear fakes cause I am youngish?

I wore my Ti GST today into 3 ADs today and no one said anything. Mind you I was looking at girl watches and hence didn't take mine off to try anything.

Odd, because I've worn a PAM into ADs and no-one flinched, but I wore a GST and was fawned over.

Our friends have usually been blown away by my reps, specifically the 1665 MBW and the 2893-2 Pams, 029 & 063. They could not believe these guys were not the real deal. :D

A couple of weeks ago I handed two buddies four of my watches to examine namely, TW Classic Sub w/spring bar mod, MBW white letter 1665 with OEM parts, Pam 029 w/Camille Fournet strap & gen vintage Tudor Submariner w/ OEM folded oyster bracelet. They asked me if they were reps or gens. My response, you tell me.

Both believed all were gens with the exception of the Tudor. :lol: which was viewed as too darn light to be a gen. I didn't say a word, smiled and returned the toys to their watch box. :D

Outside of members of these forums and some WIS, folks really do not have a clue regardless if they own quality gens or not. It's okay to relax when wearing out top quaity toys. :)

Jet

Edited by Jetsons

I have fond recollections over seeing an old school friend after 25 years or so and after him telling me of his worldwide business sucess he eventually disparaged my reps.....showing me his gen sub that his wonderful wife bought him for his recent birthday...........RAVING FAKE!!!!!!!! :bleh::bleh::bleh:

Odd, because I've worn a PAM into ADs and no-one flinched, but I wore a GST and was fawned over.

I was wearing a new suit and the sleeves are a little longer than usual... maybe it didnt stick out like usual.

I'll try with a different suit tmw maybe =P

Most of my friends aren't in to watches at all.

Perhaps that's way, I am always in time and they're not! ;)

People that are not inte the watch scene, take all "expensive" watches for fakes.

While watch interrested people really want to look and feel, and they never ask if it's a rep or gen.

Very seldom they ask if it's a rep, and my answer is: - What do you think?

Wow this is turning into a big topic! lol. I think that it was down to the weight of the watch that he did not like the avenger. I took it in to work and a guy noticed it and asked to have a look, i handded it over and he inspected it handed it back and said "very very nice watch". He had a gen omega seamaster chrono Ti on.

same goes for Rolex. i Have a tt sub and most ppl say fake due to the weight. they say its a fake coz real rolex are realy heavy ?? they have no clue. ha

Tim.

Every time I see this title I think.. 'Wife' .. we Americans don't call our friends.. 'Mates'..

Back to the subject at hand.. friends don't always think alike, as a matter of fact, it's more

interesting if they don't... just as long as there is mutual respect, their opinions are just that...

A great way to make your point however is to place the money you saved, by buying reps

into a smarter investment... ;) or a day trip for you all at your expense...