When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are You Ashamed Of Wearing A Rep?

purspeed

Ashamed? Never... In fact, I find myself wearing my reps more than my gens.

No one ever seems to notice what's on my wrist. And, all of my friends and co-workers know that I build a lot of what I have, so they tend to be more fascinated about what's involved with putting a watch together, and what's currently in progress...

Why would anyone be here is they where ashamed of wearing a rep? :g:

Half the fun is being able to find the PR (perfect rep) and wear it proudly or

1.get compliments from people who think your wearing a gen

2.be able to wear expensive watches without the cost

3.just enjoy nice timepieces

4. photograph your watch with a random hottie! :victory:

everyone has there individual reasons for rep enjoyment but those are some of mine.

Edited by rocket754

Have to agree with Ubi, seems today, the vast majority of people don't even look at your wrist or your watch. I have some old mid 80s Rollie reps that looking at now . . . gag, what POS they were . . . but the only comments I've ever got on those was, "nice watch." The other thing too I've gotten . . . I have a pink/magenta Lindy star saphire ring I bought when I was back in high school and wear on my left hand next to my wedding ring . . . I've had people ask about that when I'm wearing a Rollie rep, and never even see the watch! If they would ask about it, I would tell them that I'd be foolish to pay $4/$5k for a watch that you (meaning them, not us) couldn't tell from this WAY less than $1k replica with a Swiss movement in it . . . and then start telling them about the real world of replica watches . . . AND about the scammers.

B

This is more than just wearing reps. I have bought watch tools, I do light maintenance, I read the threads on repair and may get into it a little more seriously as I learn more. This is a Hobby- like many others I have and I enjoy it immensely. Plus I enjoy learning about these watches. And the forum is great fun.

This is no way just wearing reps, as I would not be doing all these fun things with 6000 dollar watches. It's fun.

Usil

Nope. Wear them with pride. Have to agree with Usil--there's more to this than just wearing them. I feel very confident that I know more about watches than anyone I encounter outside of this forum. I attribute that the this hobby, this forum and to all of you. Ironically, compared to everyone on this forum, I know very little.

Climb on.

Never in fact, I love going into the lion's den and wear my reps into high end jewelry stores. Saturday night, my wife and I went into Bailey Banks and Biddle, a high end store outside Philadelphia where everything from Parsifals to Royal Oaks are sold. I was talking to a couple looking over Baume and Mercier watches with a salesperson when the salesperson exclaimed "Well, that Broad Arrow you have on is beautiful". Of course, I grinned from ear to ear and said "Thank you". ...And thanks Joshua!!!

Has not happened to me. Sometimes I would even tell co-workers and they would not believe me. They think I am just trying to downplay my watches, as I have too many of them.

TWO THINGS:

1. Good quality reps - they will hardly get called out (or at least not easily)

2. As posted by someone else in the forum, you have to look the part. You gotta be believable in being able to afford the "gen" version of whatever you are wearing.

These go hand in hand. $0.02.

:3a:

Edited by Glitch

I have been more worried about wearing genuine watches. My close friends know that over the last 10 years I have owned hundreds of watches most fake. When I started wearing genuines nobody believed me. Kind of ironic. No one ever asks if my watch is real or fake. Most acquaintences assume i am wearing the real thing because of the way I carry myself and my wardrobe which consists of $100++ tommy bahama and nat nast silk shirts and slacks as well as $400 + exotic skin loafers. Not to mention genuine diamonds and gold.

If I was to get called on my watch however, I would simply say "amazing what they are doing nowadays isn't it"?