When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Visor Magnifier Instead Of Loupe?

I can't get a visor to work for me...

I bought a Bergeon Ary Eyeglass loupe for my reading glasses, and it's amazing and the best loupe I have used. Much better than the stand alone one, but expensive at about $80.

I work at 4X which is about 2.5" distance, a visor won't focus that close for me, so it's not usable for what I do.

RG

Hey Chief,

Nothing beats a loupe. I have a visor that I use as well. There is an extra magnifier you can attach to the visor to bring it up to 6X (I think) I'm not near my stuff now. 3.5X on the visor, plus 2.5X attachement.

The only problem I have with the visor, is I find it gets in the way when you are working in close. Especially when trying to work with the extra magnifier. You have to get in close for it to focus, then the whole thing gets in the way. You can't get a tool in close with the bulky visor.

At least with the loupe, it isn't that big and cumbersome.

The visor is great for polishing, and doing jobs like that. It offers eye protection, as well as some magnification. But for any work that involves close inspection or work, the only thing that works for me is the loupe.

Thanks for the feedback, all.

I am thinking for polishing, the visor could be valuable.... Stilty, I was thinking the same thing: eye protection *and* magnification. For general watch work, I guess I really need a better workspace so I'm not hunched over when using the loupe. The loupe itself probably isn't replaceable, as you all mention.

Thanks again.

Chief,

I use a visor for "offsite" work, mainly battery changing and the like.

At home I have an illuminated magnifier, on an arm, for the less delicate jobs, and a clip on eyeglass loupe with variable mag to 40X, for the finer detail stuff.

If you are going for a loupe, research a bit, and buy better quality. it will pay in the longer term.

Offshore

For general watch work, I guess I really need a better workspace so I'm not hunched over when using the loupe.

Yes, otherwise you will get a sore back, strained neck, etc. Bring the work area to your eye level.

If I remember correctly, the typical watchmaker bench is 39". An easy fix is to make your own shelf, or box, or set of drawers, etc, and place on top of your current desk. Then place your bench mat on that. You can rest your elbows on your desktop, and work with your hands on the shelf.

Ikea has an inexpensive solution. See below: I think it is 8" high. It is wide and deep enough to fit a bench mat. Then this brings your work area to your eye level when sitting. And you can use it for storage as well. The best thing part is that it is not permanent. If you are only using your desk area part time, then this works great because when you are not tinkering on watches, you just pick it up a move it out of the way. Store all your tools, etc, in one unit.

Also, make sure you get a decent lamp. Proper lighting makes all the difference.

Benchmat

ofrei-116.jpg

on top of Ikea FIRA STORAGE BOX

35776_PE126674_S4.jpg

equals

WatchBench01.jpg

I use the visor (I suppose it is like stilly's one) in place of loupe when I need 3D vision rather than high mag power, and it works to me.

Just, I do not include polishing in 3D tasks but in high-mag tasks.